Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #31
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Hey... it can take only 6 months, if you ship all those millions on a single flight.

It's interesting that Musk claims trips to Mars being cut down to "under a month". That would necessitate some extremely impressive propulsion technology. Not the sort of thing that's likely to be built any time soon, but interesting to hear nontheless.
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #32
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Neo View Post
 The payload of the Atlas H was 2255 kg, the mass of the booster engines package was 3646 kg; unless there's something here that I'm missing, it couldn't be carried to orbit even if the vehicle carried no other payload.
Engines are not dead weight like the payload, i suppose the math add up somewhere, or so someone think.

On topic, i think that may apply.
Directly or not, the history will judge Musk, not our perceived absurdity of his claims.
Artlav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #33
Donamy
Beta Tester

Didn't it take the pilgrams 6 months to get to the New World on the Mayflower?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Didn't it take the pilgrams 6 months to get to the New World on the Mayflower?
They were an hundred. And most of them died of starvation, cold or diseases. Amerindians provided them food (the famous turkeys).

The first crew towards Mars will probably count 5 or 6 members. Nobody will be there to help them, and there is nothing to hunt or harvest.

So I think that such a comparison is out of perspective and very ideological...
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #35
Donamy
Beta Tester

Help them ? The pilgrams thought more likely, to be killed by them. My point was that everything is far away at first.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #36
Keatah
Orbinaut

Definitely out of perspective. Mars doesn't have readily available resources, not without bringing tons of materials (and methods of extracting them locally) with you.

There is some big thinking here, I wonder if practical tech can keep up with it?
Keatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #37
Codz
Lunar Advocate

I dislike calling anything impossible, but Musk is essentially promising us Mars on a silver platter. Thus far, he has only delivered on a single test docking to the ISS. I remain skeptical.
Codz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #38
fsci123
Future Dubstar and Rocketkid

Can he put a few thousand people on the moon?
fsci123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #39
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Quote:
Directly or not, the history will judge Musk, not our perceived absurdity of his claims.
We must remember that those who criticised Goddard were under the misconception that rockets cannot function in a vacuum. The writer of the New York Times article was uninformed, whereas those criticising Musk are informed, to varying degrees.

Quote:
but Musk is essentially promising us Mars on a silver platter.
I don't believe he's ever "promised Mars on a silver platter", or indeed, promised anything on a silver platter. At least no more than anyone else in the industry. The fine details, problems and pros and cons of many activities in spaceflight are not often described by people in PR announcements and the like. It's just that it's more noticable in Musk's case because what he's stating is, well... absurd.
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #40
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Those who can't build rockets criticize the dreams of those who at least try.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #41
RGClark
Mathematician

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Neo View Post
 Hey... it can take only 6 months, if you ship all those millions on a single flight.

It's interesting that Musk claims trips to Mars being cut down to "under a month". That would necessitate some extremely impressive propulsion technology. Not the sort of thing that's likely to be built any time soon, but interesting to hear nontheless.
He has spoken in the past about nuclear propulsion for interplanetary flight.

Bob Clark

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Engines are not dead weight like the payload, i suppose the math add up somewhere, or so someone think.

On topic, i think that may apply.
{image}

Great artwork. Thanks for that.

Bob Clark
RGClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
RGClark
Mathematician

Elon Musk to Address Mars Society Convention in Pasadena
posted Jul 20, 2012 10:05 AM by Mars Society - PR [ updated Jul 21, 2012 1:13 PM ]
Quote:
The Mars Society is very pleased to announce that SpaceX Founder and CEO Elon Musk will address the 15th Annual International Mars Society Convention in Pasadena, California, on Saturday, August 4th during the organization's evening banquet.
http://www.marssociety.org/home/pres...tioninpasadena
Bob Clark
RGClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Those who can't build rockets criticize the dreams of those who at least try.
Would be more true, if going to Mars would at least be about building rockets. Astronautics is maybe just 10% of the challenge. Logistics, economics and politics are the majority of problems.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #44
icedown
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Would be more true, if going to Mars would at least be about building rockets. Astronautics is maybe just 10% of the challenge. Logistics, economics and politics are the majority of problems.
I agree, getting them there is only a small part what is required to make it work. He's going to have to have a lot of other companies in with him on it.

Last edited by icedown; 07-30-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to edit it
icedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #45
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedown View Post
 I agree, getting them there is only a small part what is required to make it work. He's going to have to have a lot of other companies in with him on it.
Also, how much money can he cut from the plan? If going to the moon NASA style costs already trillions in R&D, how much money could Musk actually save before hitting the bottom? It is not like private spaceflight is much cheaper than public spaceflight, it could even currently still be more expensive.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News