Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #91
RisingFury
OBSP developer

According to the (unreliable) SpaceX launch manifest (as of November 17th), the F9 Flight 3 is still scheduled for 2011.

A bit off topic, but they scheduled the Falcon Heavy demo flight in 2012 already! Alright, I know that with SpaceX, 2012 means end of 2013, but still exciting.

http://www.spacex.com/launch_manifest.php

*Dates are for vehicle arrival at launch site, not liftoff.

Last edited by RisingFury; 11-17-2011 at 12:13 AM.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #92
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Aviation Week: SpaceX Demo Flight To ISS May Slip:
Quote:
HOUSTON — Though tentatively targeted for early January, the NASA-sponsored Space Exploration Technologies Inc. (SpaceX) cargo resupply demonstration mission of the Falcon 9 and Dragon spacecraft to the International Space Station could slip a little later into the new year.

“I think January is pretty aggressive,” Alan Lindenmoyer, manager of NASA’s Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program, said following presentations on the status of the six-year-old cargo initiative before the American Astronautical Society national conference here Nov. 15. “At the end of this month, we will know better.”

{...}

Plans for a January liftoff from Cape Canaveral AFS are subject to change depending on the software test results and outcome of discussions with Russia, Gerstenmaier said from Moscow, where he was following the Nov. 16 docking of the Soyuz TMA-22 crew with the space station.

{...}
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #93
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

The launch has slipped:

NASASpaceflight: SpaceX Dragon ISS flight to slip further, pending combined mission approval:
Quote:
SpaceX’s Dragon demonstration flight to the International Space Station (ISS) is understood to be moving into the February/March timeframe, while approval for the combination of the C2/C3 (D2/D3) missions – which would result in Dragon arriving at the orbital outpost – is still pending official approval from NASA and the ISS partners.

{...}
Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #94
anemazoso
Addon Developer

Does anyone know exactly why Dragon must be docked using the robot arm? It seams a debilitating lack of a capability for Dragon. How will Elon sell seats to the BA-330 if it cant maneuver and dock without a robot arm? Is it that NASA and the international partners are uncomfortable with such an upstart coming so close to ISS? This whole thing kinda bugs me.

Also, I don't mean to sound hard line but I think Russia has very little credibility if they try to block Dragon from docking. Their are very obvious conflict of interest issues there as well as some unfairness with regard to Russia's own transparency with Soyuz data.

Last edited by anemazoso; 12-07-2011 at 01:01 AM.
anemazoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #95
tl8
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemazoso View Post
 Does anyone know exactly why Dragon must be docked using the robot arm? It seams a debilitating lack of a capability for Dragon. How will Elon sell seats to the BA-330 if it cant maneuver and dock without a robot arm? Is it that NASA and the international partners are uncomfortable with such an upstart coming so close to ISS? This whole thing kinda bugs me.
Because they are not using a docking port. They are using the CBM on Harmony like HTV and the MLPMs.
tl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #96
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemazoso View Post

Also, I don't mean to sound hard line but I think Russia has very little credibility if they try to block Dragon from docking. Their are very obvious conflict of interest issues there as well as some unfairness with regard to Russia's own transparency with Soyuz data.

The Dragon Lab may be outfitted with either a Common Berthing Mechanism(CBM) or a Low Impact Docking System(LIDS) depending on its mission. Manned missions (at least in the beginning) will use LIDS.

Future manned missions using CBM have been theorized that the Dragon will also be equipped with a very short arm with a standard Latching End Effector(LEE) enabling the berthing to be initiated from Dragon rather than from a so equipped station or module.

The B330 missions will not be a reality for quite some time. Bigelow Aerospace and Space X are still negotiating despite published schedules, and space agreements. BA must test and prove it's modular system to a point where manning them will be possible. That's a few years off yet. A manned Dragon Lab will be at least another year or so away.

This thread and others have discussed this issue in detail as the development has progressed through the last few years.
Capt_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #97
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Cargo Dragon can't dock, but it can berth using the
CBM CBM
, like the H-II. The CBM isn't a docking port, so it can't handle the impact of docking and it needs to be held together to form a proper connection, but it does allow the transfer of large- size cargo (127 cm aperture).

Crew Dragon will likely have an iLIDS port or similar. CBM is suboptimal in this case because it takes time to un-connect and that can be a problem in an emergency.

But I don't think the issue is Dragon's actual control capability... it's just a matter of the connection system used.
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #98
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Correct. Look at the docking port on the Dragons in the addon from Glider.
Cargo: CBM
Crewed: LIDS
Case closed.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #99
anemazoso
Addon Developer

Thanks all! It's pretty cool that they can just build in different berthing systems for different applications.

I also didn't know the HTV attached to Harmony. I figured it attached to Zarya like ATV. Guess I've been a bad space cadet....
anemazoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #100
Zatnikitelman
Addon Developer

As a note, the International Standard Payload Racks can't fit through the APAS or iLIDS docking systems. So as of right now, the only thing that can get the ISPRs to the ISS is the H-II transfer vehicle.
Zatnikitelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #101
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

NASA: RELEASE : 11-413 - NASA Announces Launch Date and Milestones for Spacex Flight :
Quote:
WASHINGTON — NASA has announced the launch target for Space Exploration Technologies’ (SpaceX) second Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) demonstration flight will be Feb. 7, 2012. Pending completion of final safety reviews, testing and verification, NASA also has agreed to allow SpaceX to send its Dragon spacecraft to rendezvous with the International Space Station (ISS) in a single flight.

“SpaceX has made incredible progress over the last several months preparing Dragon for its mission to the space station,” said William Gerstenmaier, NASA’s associate administrator for the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate. “We look forward to a successful mission, which will open up a new era in commercial cargo delivery for this international orbiting laboratory.”
Gerstenmaier said, “There is still a significant amount of critical work to be completed before launch, but the teams have a sound plan to complete it and are prepared for unexpected challenges. As with all launches, we will adjust the launch date as needed to gain sufficient understanding of test and analysis results to ensure safety and mission success.”

During the flight, Dragon will conduct a series of check-out procedures that will test and prove its systems in advance of the rendezvous with the station. The primary objectives for the flight include a fly-by of the space station at a distance of approximately two miles to validate the operation of sensors and flight systems necessary for a safe rendezvous and approach. The spacecraft also will demonstrate the capability to abort the rendezvous, if required.

Dragon will perform the final approach to the ISS while the station crew grapples the vehicle with the station’s robotic arm. The capsule will be berthed to the Earth-facing side of the Harmony node. At the end of the mission, the crew will reverse the process, detaching Dragon from the station for its return to Earth and splashdown in the Pacific off the coast of California. If the rendezvous and attachment to the station are not successful, SpaceX will complete a third demonstration flight in order to achieve these objectives as originally planned.

{...}

Florida Today - The Flame Trench: SpaceX targeting February launch of demo flight:
Quote:
NASA and SpaceX are targeting a Feb. 7 launch of the company's next demonstration flight from Cape Canaveral, which plans to berth an unmanned Dragon capsule at the International Space Station.

NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver announced the official new target date in a keynote speech opening the NASA Future Forum event today at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Wash.

{...}

Parabolic Arc: Dragon Flight to ISS Targeted for Feb. 7

Spaceflight Now: SpaceX demo flights merged as launch date targeted

SPACE.com: First Private Spaceship Flight to Space Station Announced

NASASpaceflight: NASA managers announce February 7 launch date for Dragon ISS mission

Discovery News: NASA Sets Date for Dragon's Space Station Debut

Aviation Week: NASA, SpaceX Set First Dragon Launch To ISS

CBS News Space: SpaceX shoots for Feb. 7 launch to space station
Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #102
mojoey
JapanAXA!

I like that Commercial spaceflight is becoming a reality. However, SpaceX needs to get its stuff together and meet launch dates, if they want to dock with the ISS
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #103
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoey View Post
 I like that Commercial spaceflight is becoming a reality. However, SpaceX needs to get its stuff together and meet launch dates, if they want to dock with the ISS
SpaceX would have launched already if NASA wasn't pushing them back.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #104
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 SpaceX would have launched already if NASA wasn't pushing them back.
NASA isn't "pushing SpaceX back" - on the contrary, NASA want SpaceX to get flying ASAP - ISS depends on them. But it has to be done safely, being a new vehicle and all. Dragon isn't being asked to do anything that HTV and ATV weren't asked to do.
Orbinaut Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #105
mojoey
JapanAXA!

I didnt think that NASA was adverse to Dragon, why would they inject hundreds of thousands of dollars into it? If I were NASA, I would want SpaceX to be certain that Dragon wouldnt blow up and take out the station...or some other catastrophe
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News