Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
miquelbb
Orbinaut
Lightbulb Orbiter-Unity Virtual Reality Simulator

In the Institute of Space Systems (IRS) of the University of Stuttgart we are currently upgrading our Soyuz Simulator (which is based on Obriter) to a new Virtual Reality simulator developed with the Unity game engine. The new simulator should offer a realistic cockpit interface of the new Russian Spacecraft PTK-Federatsiya (3D Model offered by Scorpius) and perform Earth, lunar and martian missions, mostly docking procedures to the LOP-G.
This thread should open up a discussion on how to develop such a simulator.
The new simulation will be a combination of Unity and Orbiter softwares. We base the orbital mechanics and overall physical simulation on Orbiter, and the spacecraft parameters (Positions, attituted, subsystem status, etc) are sent via an Orbiter Add-on to Unity. The respective client in Unity reads the data and updates the VR environment with the needed values.
As of today, we are still developing the cockpit interfaces and improving the visualization of planets, spacecraft and general lighting.
I look forward to your ideas, recommendations and critics. Soon I'll post some images/videos of the development. If this works, Orbiter will become a VR-Ready Software (for some parts of the flight )
miquelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

How are you planning to design the interactivity in VR?
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Unity's coordinate system is in floats, if I'm not mistaken. How are you planning to address the precision issue arising from that?
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Unity's coordinate system is in floats, if I'm not mistaken. How are you planning to address the precision issue arising from that?
Actually, the rendering in Orbiter is already done with just floats... Most GPUs are very bad in processing doubles....
Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
Face
Beta Tester

Why going through the troubles of sending values between processes if there already is a graphics client infrastructure that could be used (aka OVP)? I think it would be better to have e.g. a UnityClient OVP module that supports VR instead of a com module that sends data to a completely different project.

Is it to keep the VR system closed source?
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 Is it to keep the VR system closed source?

Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post

I actually missed that XKCD, thanks for linking it.

Besides the pathetic attempt on ridiculing an honest question, do you actually KNOW the reason why the described design is not using OVP?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
I think it would be better to have e.g. a UnityClient OVP module that supports VR instead of a com module that sends data to a completely different project.
Is that even possible, though? I'm not sure at all whether you can just squeeze its runtime into another process, as Unity appears to be more of a framework rather just an engine.
Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 Is that even possible, though? I'm not sure at all whether you can just squeeze its runtime into another process, as Unity appears to be more of a framework rather just an engine.
It is not about squeezing it into another process, but whether or not you implement the OVP interface to interact with it. Iˋve experimented with Unity embedded in WPF applications already, and it looked promising, thus my first question.

If - for whatever reason .- OVPs license is a problem, Iˋd of course understand the need to forward the values to a separate project. Thus my other question.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Ah, I misunderstood. You're talking about the use of OVP specifically, not about the server/client approach in general.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 Ah, I misunderstood. You're talking about the use of OVP specifically, not about the server/client approach in general.
We already had OVP clients that send data to lean render clients (AFAIK Artlav did that with some OGLA experiment). The point is that there is already a separation interface with OVP.

BTW: I just checked, I can load and start the UnityPlayer.dll of a standalone build just fine inside a custom executable. As it appears, the whole engine is running inside this process. Granted, there is no API as such, but it should be much easier to exchange data between script land and the Orbiter module with such an approach.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
cockpit, lop-g, soyuz, virtual reality