Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #16
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Personally the only weapon system I'd like to see in Orbiter is an ASAT.
Well, there's already
Uragan
to hold us over until this is done. It still works in O2010, too.

You guys mentioned interplanetary combat. By this, do you mean RKVs?

Also, are you going to be making custom vessels, or an SDK that allows vessels to implement damage and weapons?
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Well, it won't become a "Space Shooter." What I hope this addon will be is a semi-realistic depiction of how space combat might play out. Orbiter will never become Rogue Squadron- generalizing a space combat simulator to a space shooter is like comparing IL2 and Afterburner (you know, the old-school Sega...).
Not that there's anything wrong with those games, but yeah.
It's not a transformation, it's a combination. And I totally get it.
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw
 Personally the only weapon system I'd like to see in Orbiter is an ASAT.
And you shall have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post

Also, are you going to be making custom vessels, or an SDK that allows vessels to implement damage and weapons?
Interplanetary combat is still a long way off. We first need to get Earth combat up and running to the point where you can have battles and campaigns.

And yes, we will have both custom vessels as well as a SDK

Let's just say TNeo's gonna be working harder on models then the hamsters powering my computer...
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
escapetomsfate
OBSP Developer

Okay, for all the Orbiter purists out there:

We're not going to turn Orbiter into star wars battlefront. All the way through the development we've been trying to do it realistically. If you don't like the combat side of it (which is completely fair enough) no one's forcing you to download. On the plus side, there's other useful non-combat features that might come out of this, just like how war advances technology in real life.

But from the majority of people there seems to be interest, which I'm really glad about
escapetomsfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
Stevodoran
Donator

just imagine of nasa was involved in a war and was testing new weapons
Stevodoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevodoran View Post
 just imagine of nasa was involved in a war and was testing new weapons

NASA isn't involved here. This is ETF, TNeo and me for now. This is our work and we do it because we like it.

You don't need to download it, nobody is forcing you. If you have suggestions on how to make it better, we'll gladly listen, but if you're just gonna rant about it, you can go somewhere else.

OBSP will contain plenty of other non-combat things and I'm sure that even some people who don't like combat will enjoy other features
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
The UMMU combat is somewhat undeveloped right now, but we don't just plan to stick a bunch of UMMUs down there to fight it out... tanks, artillery, APC's... that's all on the agenda.
Universal Orbiter Combat? sounds like THE HELL of a project scope!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #23
Aiyel
Orbinaut

wasn't there an add-on a while back that did ASAT missile guidance?

Any way related to your current implementation?
Aiyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
4throck
Enthusiast !

Well, being constructive, I think that orbital fighting operations will be the most interesting and certainly inovative.

Simulating that with real physics certainly is new and is not at all like a space shooter.

For example, as far as I've read, the cannon on the Almaz station was linked to the RCS system, otherwise firing it would induce spin on the station itself.
I don't object to simulating it and trying to repel an attempt to board made using a Gemini capsule for example.... Also, Dynasoar or MOL might offer some realistic alternate reality scenarios that might interest a large number of persons here. Other alternatives are Polius or SDI projects.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
Blacklight
Orbinaut

Wow ! This project came out of nowhere and hit me out of the blue ! Awesome job ! I can't wait to see where this project goes next ! This could be VERY challenging as the movement physics of everything would be very realistic, unlike those "other" space shooters.
As for the people who are complaining about Orbiter "not being a space shooter", I don't think that this project is going to turn Orbiter into a space shooter. It's still a simulation at it's core and I have a feeling that any combat that would occur in space would not involve spacecraft zipping around like barnstormers.
This project would be awesome to simulate theoretical Cold War and WWIII scenarios as well (Trying to hit a spy satilite with a missile, or an incoming nuke with a laser satilite would be pretty challenging scenarios). I like the collision ability. It's going to make docking a lot more realistic.
I can't wait to see where this project goes !
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #26
Izack
Non sequitur

I'm not trying to derail the surface- and atmospheric-based combat any further, but anyone remember this thread? There were some interesting concepts in there...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #27
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 For example, as far as I've read, the cannon on the Almaz station was linked to the RCS system, otherwise firing it would induce spin on the station itself.
That's a poor design... I would have put two guns on there in a way that firing them simultaneously cancels out the torque...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 I'm not trying to derail the surface- and atmospheric-based combat any further, but anyone remember this thread? There were some interesting concepts in there...
Even before interplanetary battles get underway, LEO will see some combat
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
Usquanigo
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 Even before interplanetary battles get underway, LEO will see some combat

Will pave the way for some killer ideas I've had that I would love to do - if only I could learn to make addons. lol But without combat potential, they'd be just eye candy. Not anymore though!
Usquanigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #29
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Quote:
By interplanetary combat, we mean laser-and-nuke equipped interplanetary warships massing upwards of 500 tons. Maybe. Sortof like Battle Cylinder Mk I's smarter and more attractive sister.

Quote:
Let's just say TNeo's gonna be working harder on models then the hamsters powering my computer...
I'd better get to work then...
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #30
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Neo View Post
 By interplanetary combat, we mean laser-and-nuke equipped interplanetary warships massing upwards of 500 tons.
You have me drooling here...

Eh? EH?!

Yes, I'm joking. No one expects anyone to do anything more than they want to.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development

Tags
battle, beta, combat, simulation, test