Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old
OBSP Developer
Arrow Orbiter Battle Simulation Project - Development Thread
by escapetomsfate 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM

Latest news is in post #196

OBSP intends to replicate combat in Orbiter.

Features include:
  • Damage Model
  • Weapons System
  • Autopilots
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • RADAR
  • Countermeasures
  • Collision Detection and handling
  • User interface including HUD and MFD
  • Use of Orbiter Sound

For a more detailed list of features, see the page on our website.

We have a youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/orbiterbattlesp

Airfield AI:

Combat Autopilots:

OBSP - Introduction and Features (early work):

Meshes used for the weapons and vessels (Ignore the guns, they are not used anymore):

Introduction to autopilots and AI:

Thanks,

The OBSP Team - escapetomsfate, RisingFury, T.Neo.

Thanks to Loru for letting us use his texture and Face for his hooking library.

Last edited by escapetomsfate; 08-03-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: More relevant to current situation
Views 104533 Comments 230
Total Comments 230

Comments

Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Jamesep3
Orbinaut

Wow. Hang on was't the point of orbiter not involve fighting? I know people may not care but still. What are we really doing here?
Jamesep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

VERY nice for a version 0.1. I'm in all over my head in Orbiter Galaxy and two bands currently, so I'm afraid I can't help with the beta testing, at least not at the moment. But this is great work, and I really want to encourage you to go on with it. This might get to be the first interplanetary combat simulator EVER!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Ghostrider
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesep3 View Post
 Wow. Hang on was't the point of orbiter not involve fighting? I know people may not care but still. What are we really doing here?
The point of Orbiter is to simulate realistic spaceflight. If that includes moar dakka, the better for us nuts.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Tommy
Orbinaut

Quote:
Hang on was't the point of orbiter not involve fighting?
I always considered the point of Orbiter was whatever you want it to be. While I'm not interested in combat myself, the collision detection, Autopilots/AI, and scripting elements are VERY interesting.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
4throck
Enthusiast !

Second that. The physics do look interesting. I'd like to see that sorted out first, so that we could have more realistic docking / collisions in orbit for example.

I don't care much about the combat but the code behind it can be used for much more intresting things (jn my opinion), such as "asteroid mining" where you break up a large asteroid and then pick up the smaller pieces with richest mineral content. To to that you need to fire at it first... to scan it you have to point the scanner and "fire" it, so yes, the basic code is much the same.

On the other hand, there are real anti-sat weapons the could be simulated and one of the Almaz station really had a cannon so....
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Yoda
Donator

Sorry, but I think that's about the dumbest idea I've seen propsed here in a long time.
Why is there a need to add combat or weapons to a space simulator ?????
If that's what your after just stick with "Halo" or any of the other "shoot them up" games.

Not a good idea.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Usquanigo
Orbinaut

If you (plural, not singling anybody speicifcally out) aren't interested in combat, fine, but why read and post to a thread about it. Does it threaten you in some way?

It has been suggested to stick with "shoot 'em up" games. Trouble is, they aren't simulations. There's a reason that there are 20 page all-out slug-fests over flight modeling vs pilot anecdotes and real test data, as well as damage modeling regarding IL2 - just because combat is present does NOT mean that the people playing it are unsophisticated and don't understand or care about the simulation aspects.
Usquanigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Izack
Non sequitur

Sweet battle cylinder!

Seriously though, this looks like a good project. As Usquanigo already said, combat simulators are not Halo. The UMMU combat will probably be like that actually, but any combat in space is going to be no simple point n' shoot. It will be just as technical, if not in some cases more so, than most other tasks in Orbiter. I've spent a long time imagining what combat in space would be like, and this looks like -eventually- an excellent platform for that.

Also, for the UMMU bit, the ground combat looks like it will be bland, but will there be space combat? That would be interesting.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 Second that. The physics do look interesting. I'd like to see that sorted out first, so that we could have more realistic docking / collisions in orbit for example.
I'm sorry to have to disappoint you here, but I doubt OBSP's collision detection will ever get that far. Currently we just use the vessel's size parameter to detect if another vessel is within collision range. That works for our simple purpose of detecting collisions when taxing and mid air collisions in areal combat, but it will no doubt fail at orbital velocities and will have to be turned off for docking.

We could in the future implement a mesh based collision detection, but don't hold your breath... that said, we *might* do transfer of angular momentum, so that ships hit on the side will start spinning also...

I believe though that Artlav made a mesh to mesh collision detection that is miles beyond what OBSP currently implements

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 Also, for the UMMU bit, the ground combat looks like it will be bland, but will there be space combat? That would be interesting.

The UMMU combat is somewhat undeveloped right now, but we don't just plan to stick a bunch of UMMUs down there to fight it out... tanks, artillery, APC's... that's all on the agenda.

The idea is to implement a system that will allow first person control of any friendly unit on the battlefield, as well as a real time strategic command and control system, as well as a decent AI so you don't need to tare your hair out and curse that your planes just flew through a SAM defended area...

Space and interplanetary combat is still a long way off, but I'm confident we'll get there
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Coolhand
Addon Developer

awesome, can it support turreted guns at some point? how about one that could be used as a payload for an xr/dg, etc?
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Stevodoran
Donator

it said on the orbiter home page ''make no mistake orbiter is not a space shooter''
Stevodoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
 awesome, can it support turreted guns at some point? how about one that could be used as a payload for an xr/dg, etc?

Oh yea

One of the models in TNeo's video is a gun pod
Hopefully we can also come up with a way to aim guns and turrets with the mouse, so we can do artillery and UMMU AK's...
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Actually that's a very good idea. The M61 Vulcan is used in the Phalanx CIWS, which actually exists, unlike my fictional gun pod...
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevodoran View Post
 it said on the orbiter home page ''make no mistake orbiter is not a space shooter''
Orbiter isn't but that doesn't mean to say that an addon cannot add certain elements such as nuclear weapons.

Personally the only weapon system I'd like to see in Orbiter is an ASAT.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development

Tags
battle, beta, combat, simulation, test