Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Astronomy & the Night Sky Astronomy news & discussions, Astrophotography, Telescopes, Star Charts, & more. Galaxies, Stars, Planets & Moons, discuss it all here!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #166
george7378
DON'T PANIC

Thanks - I agree about the cloud - it was not very clear last night either. Here's a video of the Moon I took alongside these pictures:

george7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #167
JEL
Addon Developer

Thanks george, for the registax recommendation, it's really able to enhance the level of detail in photos of this type

I made a side-by-side comparison of a video sequence I did an then ran through registax.
The image on the left is a still-frame taken directly from the video, and the image on the right is the registax composite made of the full video-sequence.
It really does a good job filtering the grain away and bringing the actual average image out.
(and registax version #6 is soon arriving the website says)
Attached Thumbnails
moon_VideoStill_enhanced_sidebyside.jpg  
JEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #168
JEL
Addon Developer

Photos

Kappa Lyrae - (k Lyr, HIP 89826, HD 168775, SAO 66869, HR 6872):

1:1 pixel size.

Stack:
4 light @ 4 seconds (with automatic dark subtraction)
F Number: 5.6
ISO: 6400
Focal Length: 300.0 mm (In 35mm Format: 450 mm)
---

Vega - (alpha Lyrae, HIP 91262, HD 172167, SAO 67174, HR 7001):

1:1 pixel size.

Stack:
4 light @ 4 seconds (with automatic dark subtraction)
F Number: 5.6
ISO: 12800
Focal Length: 300.0 mm (In 35mm Format: 450 mm)

This one I wavelet-decomposed in GIMP and did some manual adjustments to. I can't tell if the blue corona is the actual dust-corona around Vega or if it is just a light-bloom effect by the lens, but I'm guessing it's the latter.
---

Both taken march 7th, 2011.

These are my first attempts at some more serious astro-photography. The main thing I learned during this first attempt is that it is hard!
No scope used, just the camera and it's attached lens.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #169
Nazban
Orbinaut

wow! those are some really cool photos!!!
im buying a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT by the end of this month, im really hoping for some good images! once 1 get them, 1st thing ill do is post them on this thread!!
Nazban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #170
george7378
DON'T PANIC

Nice images JEL - I love seeing stars up close. GIMP is also my tool of choice for processing.

Here are some images of Mercury near Jupiter (Mercury is on the lower right) tonight - the first time I have ever seen planet Mercury, believe it or not! It has always eluded me until tonight - it was amazingly obvious once I had seen it.

---------- Post added 15-03-11 at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was 14-03-11 at 18:56 ----------

... and here are some images I took on the 13th. Each photo is 380 frames of HD video stacked, taken with my Lumix and Sky-Watcher 250PX. The results just seem to get better every time I do an imaging run on the Moon - I'm really pleased with these, considering the fact that they are just straight through the eyepiece:

Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #171
JEL
Addon Developer

@george; Wow The moon up close like that is just brilliant.

Do you just hold the camera up to the eye-piece or is it attached to the scope somehow?

I've read about certain 'webcams' that slide directly into the scope's eye-piece socket and can film directly through the scope that way. They're not HD though but they still get a lot of good comments by users. I was thinking about buying one of those myself if I go ahead and buy a real telescope. For the moment though, I'm still waiting for the t-ring adapter for my camera and spotting-scope connection to see how far I can get with that first though. I really hope I can eventually get some good closeups atleast partially as good as these you have here
Thanked by:
Old 03-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #172
Unstung
Crew 2019

My attempt at the supermoon:

Of course, it didn't look any special tonight other than it was full.

And a previous attempt over 17 months ago with a cheap camera: http://unstung.deviantart.com/art/Sh...Moon-139119199

Both of these shots were taken with the same pair of binoculars. So, the more recent shot is taken at a focal length of 105mm and the magnification of the binoculars, which I do not know.
Unstung is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #173
george7378
DON'T PANIC

JEL: I use a cheap bracket which holds the camera up to the scope and keeps it steady. Good luck taking pictures - I can't wait to see them!

Also, here are some long exposures of the Supermoon from last night:

Thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #174
george7378
DON'T PANIC

Default Recent sunsets

We have been getting some amazing filtered sunsets recently. I was able to watch the Sun set with the naked eye three days in a row - I could see sunspots too. Here are some images:

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgekristiansen/

Last edited by george7378; 03-29-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #175
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on this, but here are some photos I shot of Discovery's final launch telescopically. They were shot using an 8" LX200 and Canon XTi. They're all mirrored left-to-right due to the telescope:

Easily the best shots of SRB separation I've ever been able to get.
And here's my latest video tracking of ISS:

Last edited by Messierhunter; 03-29-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Messierhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #176
george7378
DON'T PANIC

Here's a picture of the 'Lunar X' I took last night. I just noticed it when I was looking at the Moon (didn't know it was going to be there) so I held up the camera and took a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgek...sen/5609970420
Thanked by:
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #177
george7378
DON'T PANIC

Here are some Moonrise shots from the 17th April - it came up just as the Sun was setting, and I tried to get inventive with the scenery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgek...sen/5632432776

http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgek...sen/5632431656

http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgek...sen/5631845941

http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgek...sen/5632428916
Thanked by:
Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #178
JEL
Addon Developer

Photos

I have FINALLY gotten my spotting-scope connected to my camera . A series of random events delayed the needed T2 adapter ring until a few days ago. But now it's here and I've done my first few attempts at digi-scoping.

In this series I concentrated on the bright star VEGA.

I shot and stacked images with various exposure-times (in seperate stackings, not mixing different exposure times) and even some video-sequences that I also tried stacking.
I've uploaded all images from my first real run of this camera/scope combo here:

http://jelair.jelstudio.dk/observato.../20110422.html

I made the page so that the images automatically stretch to fill out the full width of your browser window. So to re-size the images, simply make your browser wider or narrower

Regarding stacking; I tried using the new registax6 but ended up using registax5 instead. To me it seems that even though #6 is much faster than #5 (muuuuch faster) it doesn't deliver a final image-quality that is as good as #5. Atleast in the tests that I made #6 gave images that appeared more noisy.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to do this and if perhaps it's really an improvement since more detail COULD be mistaken for more noise (in which case #6 would be better than #5). So I'm not able to conclusively say whether or not #6 really IS doing a worse job at stacking than #5. Maybe someone with better images to work on, than I have, can say more about this?
Thanked by:
Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #179
Eli13
Fish Dreamer

I really wish i had a telescope for stuff like this. Until then, Im down to amazing people by knowing what constellations are there right above us (which really isn't that hard (com on people!)(not you guys!)) and using google sky map......
Eli13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #180
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli13 View Post
 I really wish i had a telescope for stuff like this. Until then, Im down to amazing people by knowing what constellations are there right above us (which really isn't that hard (com on people!)(not you guys!)) and using google sky map......
Have you looked in your area for any astronomy clubs? It might be worth it.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky