Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #61
dansteph
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine135 View Post
 Well, if the config file modification is not too difficult, I agree.
Here are the config lines that allow a car to load normalised payload: (Azure example, 2 cargo in line on roof)

Quote:
:CARGO

CargoSlotPos = 0 3.23 3.20 ; front left pos of first cargo slot X Y Z (see doc)
CargoRowColumnNbr = 1 2 ; number of slot row & column (max 20 slots, see doc)
CargoSlotInterval = 0.05 ; Interval beetween each slot
CargoReleasePos = 0.0 -2.8 ; X Z pos at wich cargo will be placed when released (see doooc)
Of course all we be explained in doc with image, and SDK will provide *.max and *.3ds example.

Designing new "normalised" cargo is not difficult either, just a mesh and a 10 lines config file. You can have tank, box, tool etc as long as the mesh fit in a 1.5x1.5x1.5 box i'ts ok. Also those payload can be loaded in DGIV and I'll release also the code to grapple/release so one can design more vessel that can load release such payload. (it would be nice to have some mother ship that could carry 20 of them as well as truck, but I'll see if I can do a truck myself for UCO)

Cheers

Dan
dansteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #62
willy88
Tinkerer

Would the containers be able to be carried by the DGIV?
willy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #63
dansteph
Addon Developer

Sure, see above
Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #64
Zatnikitelman
Addon Developer

You keep mentioning normalized payload? What happens if something is larger than 1.5m^3? Does it just not get loaded or strange things happen?
Zatnikitelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #65
sunshine135
All Around Good Guy

I just thought of an idea. Since the cargo is a normalized payload, and the shuttle folks might like to use the UCO to say, transport the ET off the barge into the VAB, would it be possible to create a payload that used both the UCO CARGO standards above and the standard attachment points? The idea would be to use a "UCO Container" as an intermediary to the object you want to carry and the Universal Car. For Example:

External Tank with Orbiter Standard attach points---------------attachment point-UCO Container-Normalized Cargo attachment--------------------------UCO vehicle with the Tank Transport mesh.

This way, you could use Dan's UCO to create a "transporter" mesh, and use a universal container with a "dot" for a mesh, and attach it to an attachment point on an External Tank...This way, everyone is happy!!!! The big thing being that Dan takes no responsibility for your mesh looking funny using a standard attachment point
sunshine135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #66
dansteph
Addon Developer

Quote:
 This way, you could use Dan's UCO to create a "transporter" mesh, and use a universal container with a "dot" for a mesh, and attach it to an attachment point on an External Tank...This way, everyone is happy!!!! The big thing being that Dan takes no responsibility for your mesh looking funny using a standard attachment point
UCO would be even able to grapple one (or up to 20) shuttles as payload and release them as a fully functionnal vessel ready to take-off. The config file of Shuttle would only need 5 special lines in it to be recognised as UCO cargo. (there is by design absolutely no check of weight or shape of cargo)

Such lines and the "normalised payload" ensure the coherence of what can be done, you cannot attach everything (as basic attachment point allow) because not everything is likely to be attached on everything (A shuttle carried by the forklift ? )

Now if peoples want to carry shuttle with forklift or a dedicated UCO car it's possible and even simple. That's the beauty: common peoples cannot do by mistake unrealistic things but advanced users (or authors) can do almost everything they want.

Cheers

Dan

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
 You keep mentioning normalized payload? What happens if something is larger than 1.5m^3? Does it just not get loaded or strange things happen?
Only visual bug with model that count on those size. As said above there is no check of size & weight (by choice)

Example: a truck designed for "normalised" payload would look strange with 20 ShuttleA meshes on the roof instead of 1.5^3 mesh.

Now authors can use UCO to make a shuttleA transporter, charge to them to explain speciffically how it work in the doc. A "universal" things should allow such things but can't provide them by default.

Hope it explain ?

Dan
Old 08-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #67
sunshine135
All Around Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansteph View Post
 UCO would be even able to grapple one (or up to 20) shuttles as payload and release them as a fully functionnal vessel ready to take-off. The config file of Shuttle would only need 5 special lines in it to be recognised as UCO cargo. (there is by design absolutely no check of weight or shape of cargo)

Such lines and the "normalised payload" ensure the coherence of what can be done, you cannot attach everything (as basic attachment point allow) because not everything is likely to be attached on everything (A shuttle carried by the forklift ? )

Now if peoples want to carry shuttle with forklift or a dedicated UCO car it's possible and even simple. That's the beauty: common peoples cannot do by mistake unrealistic things but advanced users (or authors) can do almost everything they want.

Cheers

Dan

I'm getting excited! When do we start beta testing??
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #68
the.punk
Advanced Orbinaut

Quote:
 I'm getting excited! When do we start beta testing??
Dan said that it needs still some time.

But really cool project.
the.punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #69
n72.75
Donator

this is such a cool idea, dan never ceases to amaze me.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #70
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Will you be able ride in the car? That is exit and walk around and get in the car and drive?
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #71
dansteph
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattispilot View Post
 Will you be able ride in the car? That is exit and walk around and get in the car and drive?
That's exactly the point of UCO

NEWS:
-I had uggly CTD with VC the whole day, finally found the bug, pfeew.

-Just added a "darken screen" when in cockpit help or setting texts are displayed, this will render them much more lisible.

New method with dark screen when help or setting are displayed:

Old method, some text where not very lisible:

Seem nothing but the beauty is that it' doesn't use GDI to fill the whole screen, so it's not a problem for performances, also this method allow transparency.

Cheers

Dan
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #72
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Dan: Is UCO going to be released with the city addon we saw in a video a while back on your website? Your mention of an "AI bus" in the text of those screenshots reminded me of it.

Regardless, nice work! Looking forward to seeing some UCO products on OH!
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #73
dansteph
Addon Developer

We planned with picto to do also some mars & moon base but as he have no time I'll just release UCO with his town.

Cheers

Dan
Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #74
sunshine135
All Around Good Guy

I like your menu interfaces Dan. That is what I liked about your UMMUs. Integrated help makes for easier utilization.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 AM   #75
dansteph
Addon Developer

Spacetech is not so rich, this is why they use cheap and dirty material

I can do better and texture also the rest, but at the expense of 3-5 more days and one more 1024 texture (performance concern) So I stop now, it's good enough and I have other models to do.

Next move: a racing car (F1) or a truck, not decided yet. (I want to provide at least a truck that show multi cargo feature and the supercar is just for fun )

Cheers

Dan

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development