Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 AM   #46
sunshine135
All Around Good Guy

Dan,

Great to see you developing for Orbiter again. If you need a beta tester, you know where to look!

Cheers and Beers,
sunshine135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #47
tgep
Tutorial Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblaxland View Post
 I believe he is referring to this: NoseWheelTurn

You may also be interested in the back-story: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8392
Yes, I was. Silly of me not to refer to it by proper name. As for the 6X6 aspect, no worries. So long as I got 4 turning, I'm good.

tgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #48
dansteph
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 It would be a shame if UCO doesn't support SC3 vessels.
I'm ready to have a look if you have a link and explain how it could support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine135 View Post
 Dan,
Great to see you developing for Orbiter again. If you need a beta tester, you know where to look!
Cheers and Beers,
Hello Sun, glad to see you on board again

Beer and cheers

Dan
dansteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #49
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Why would it? Couldn't the mesh from an SC3 vessel be used with a UCO config and DLL?

just wondering really.

Last edited by garyw; 08-28-2009 at 09:43 AM.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #50
Dig Gil
LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgep View Post
 As for the 6X6 aspect, no worries. So long as I got 4 turning, I'm good.
You could still animate all those wheels giving the feeling it's a 6X6 .
Dig Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #51
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:

I think you've missed the point... UCO will have it's own config, just like SC3. It doesn't really need rocket engines, air control surfaces and thrusters, does it?
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #52
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

I think I will make a module for BattleTech vehicles one day, so we can have vehicles with rocket engines.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #53
ar81
Orbinaut

Will UCO support big trucks with detachable containers and flatbeds?

Will DGIV support a fuel truck? I recall kids in the classroom, when I had my workshop, asking where the truck was when you replenished fuel.

Could it be possible to mount a payload inside a DGIV using a crane?

Before having a model for VC, nice sketches might be needed to start modelling

I modelled a rover that is available in my tutorial on how to make/improve surface bases. It is used for the Olympus base improvement. Unfortunately it is untextured.

You may use it and modify it if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 I think you've missed the point... UCO will have it's own config, just like SC3. It doesn't really need rocket engines, air control surfaces and thrusters, does it?
Unless you make batmobile or a dragster...
ar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #54
insanity
Blastronaut

This might be a bit off-topic, but when it comes to a tow-vehicle I've found that universal cargo deck works pretty good. The KSC environment addon (
KSC Environment V2
) has a utility cart and with UCD you can add a UMMU to the driver's seat, cargo on the bed, and a DGIV for push-back... Also UCD effects vehicle performance.
insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #55
dansteph
Addon Developer

Work in progress (texturing not finished)

ForkLift with rear directionnal wheels.

And no, the lift doesn't lift, please don't ask

Dan
Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #56
sunshine135
All Around Good Guy

Looks very cool Dan. Maybe the tines could eventually contain an attachment point or a utility could be built to attach something like on the Grey Goose add-on. If I recall, it had a small utility that you could activate from the modules tab to attach/remove items, and it worked pretty well without the crazy warp speed bug.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #57
dansteph
Addon Developer

No need for that, every car support the "universal cargo" feature if set in config file, here the forklift can grapple/release one cargo. On the top/right you can see the "VC" view of the forklift.

Cheers

Dan
Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #58
DaveS
Addon Developer

Dan: I just used computerex' Attachment Management plug-in and attached my KSC tow vehicle to the SSU orbiter. Also did some tow tests and other than the fact that the attachment point is rigid rather than flexible, I came across no issues at all. None.

Maybe you're confusing attachment points with docking ports?

Attachment points was designed specifically to circumvent the limitations of docking ports so that they could be used for moving structures like robotic arms.

Docking ports do have known limitations and bugs like if you try to dock two landed vessels together, you will get ejected from the solar system at an insane and unbelievable velocity.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #59
dansteph
Addon Developer

Thanks for test, in anyway I'll not use attachment, my method work flawlessly without bug, with about no perf impact and rigid towing doesn't look really good at all. As cars can have about every shape it would be even worse with users designed cars.

Towing would be cool of course but doesn't look essential at all as it look so unrealist. I would preffer crane that can realisticly load a truck or vessel but here we have collision limitation. of course we might find a workaround but that may be a complete project in itself.

There is still a LOT of work to do on UCO, models, prog, beta test, doc.
I think that a complete and well done UCO can add already a new dimension even without tow & crane. The alternative is to try to do everything and never release anything due to complexity & time required

Dan
Old 08-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #60
sunshine135
All Around Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansteph View Post
  my method work flawlessly without bug, with about no perf impact and rigid towing doesn't look really good at all. As cars can have about every shape it would be even worse with users designed cars.

Towing would be cool of course but doesn't look essential at all as it look so unrealist. I would preffer crane that can realisticly load a truck or vessel but here we have collision limitation. of course we might find a workaround but that may be a complete project in itself.

There is still a LOT of work to do on UCO, models, prog, beta test, doc.
I think that a complete and well done UCO can add already a new dimension even without tow & crane. The alternative is to try to do everything and never release anything due to complexity & time required

Dan

Well, if the config file modification is not too difficult, I agree. I remember when I started playing with Doug's XR-5 and I wondered what I could place in the cavernous cargo bay. No sooner did I think about using Greg Burch's SSBBs then someone converted them for that purpose. I think the same here. Dan tends to have very nice documentation with his work, so I am not concerned here.

The shuttle may be able to be attached in the same way with a UCO definition that is otherwise ignored by other things. Let's play with it first in beta. It may be easier and more stable to work with than the current attachment methods. Dan tends to raise the bar with his add-ons, and Orbinauts crave them quite a bit.

Cheers to all,

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development