Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #16
Nicholas Kang
Spaceflight News Reporter

New date:

Static Fire: March 26
Launch: March 29 (1659 - 1929 EDT)

This first stage will attempt a 2nd landing on the ASDS, first time every in Spacex' s history. Wishing them all the best!

And mission patch is out!
Nicholas Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #17
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

NET March 29th due to range conflict from the Atlas V with Cygnus.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Payload is being encapsulated. Strongback is currently vertical on LC-39A. Processing appears to be going well for this historic launch!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
barrygolden
Orbinaut

Yes I too wonder why NASA pays millions to Space X and Boeing to built two manned spacecraft when had they taken that money and spent on Orion and used a Delta 4H The US would be flying astronauts to the ISS but then when something happens who's to blame ? well it will be Elon Musk and some low level exc at Boeing who are in hot water not NASA. " We didn't do anything wrong but we'll get someone fired and problem solved."

NASA's plan too use the SLS seems like a joke to me. with 14 SSME and no engine program and a launch rate of 1 every 8 years that means it might launch once then those guy's will retire and then we'll need another launch to test out the 1st test then the those's guys will retire and the other 6 SSME will be sent to museums because their too old to use. Now that's NASA's plan as of today.

Yes one should be paid when you have a good idea as I was when I told the Army to leave the heater covers on our Hellfire missiles so the sand would not blind the seeker heads . It made our AH 64's pretty effective in the gulf war.
barrygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #20
Nicholas Kang

Now we have a new mission patch. (Go Green, Support 3R, SpaceX )

Here is the full animation that makes it looks nice.

Static Fire test window opens at 3 pm local time (runs for eight hours, should they require it) on Sunday.

"Of Course I Still Love You" already left port and heading out to sea.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSEcCVlAhb-/

EDIT: Just to clarify, the mission patch that I posted above is not the OFFICIAL Mission patch. It is a fan creation by u/Qeng-Ho on Reddit.

This is the official mission patch.

Last edited by Nicholas Kang; 03-27-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Clarification of mission patch
Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #21
C3PO
Donator

Big Grin

Extreme recycling.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #22
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Static fire slipped 24-hours.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Nicholas Kang

Alright, another launch delay.

45th Space Wing updated their header. Falcon 9 SES-10 launch now NET 30th.

Static fire window opens now, at 10 a.m. EDT, 2 p.m. UTC. and ends at 4 p.m. ET, 8 p.m. UTC.

F9 already vertical on LC-39A this morning.

Quote:
03/27/2017 15:45 Falcon 9 in place for static fire test
The Falcon 9 was moved into place at launch pad 39A this morning in readiness for a static test fire later today. The rocket reached its upright position at approximately 3:10 am EDT (0710 GMT).

(Screenshot from Spaceflightnow.com)

See the static fire live here

Updates:

KSC Security making sure the area is clear.

Quote:
Spaceflightnow.com:

03/27/2017 22:00
A helicopter is sweeping the area around launch pad 39A as SpaceX prepares to fuel the Falcon 9 rocket for a hold-down static fire test today.

So, launch window for 30th March launch would be from 6p.m. to 8.30 p.m.

No sign of venting yet.

Alright, we now have full weather forecast:

Quote:
Launch day probability of violating launch weather constraints: 30%
Primary concern(s): Cumulus Cloud Rule, Thick Cloud Layer Rule

Delay day probability of violating launch weather constraints: 40%
Primary concern(s): Cumulus Cloud Rule, Thick Cloud Layer Rule, Liftoff Winds
Source

And here is the FAA license.

Note this is not SES-10 specific, it's for F9 v1.2 GTO communication satellite launches from KSC.

Alright, I need to hit the sack now. It is already 11:15 p.m. here. Still have to go to school tomorrow. For those who are watching the static fire broadcast, feel free to continue providing updates here. I wish SpaceX Good Luck in their static fire test today.

Last edited by Nicholas Kang; 03-28-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Fueling is underway ahead of B-1021's firing.
Thanked by:
Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 PM   #25
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Good static fire, aiming for a launch tomorrow at 6:27pm EDT (22:27 UTC). Weather 80% go. Timeline is very tight, so possibly a delay to Friday, where weather is 40% go.
Thanked by:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #26
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

Is there a current photo of this Falcon 9 on the pad? I am wondering how much cosmetic refurbishment was done (i.e. was it repainted to pristine whiteness, or does it look "burned-in"?) I'm sort of hoping they are willing to let a serviceable but worn look be OK.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #27
Nicholas Kang

Alright, more updates to go.

1. Static fire videos and pictures.

2. Official SpaceX Webcasts and Press Kit.

Hosted:

Technical:

Press Kit is available here.

Quote:
Banner image from SpaceX.com of SES-10's mission flight booster along with two others available for future flights.
Quote:
SES-10 MISSION

SpaceXs Falcon 9 rocket will deliver SES-10, a commercial communications satellite for SES, to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO). SES is a world-leading satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite communications solutions across the globe.

SpaceX is targeting launch of SES-10 from historic Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASAs Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The two and a half hour launch window opens on Thursday, March 30, at 6:27 p.m. EDT, or 10:27 p.m. UTC. The satellite will deploy approximately 32 minutes after launch. A backup launch window opens on Saturday, April 1, at 6:27 p.m. EDT, or 10:27 p.m. UTC.
Therefore, backup launch window opens on Saturday, April 1, at 6:27 p.m. EDT, or 10:27 p.m. UTC, and not Friday.

3. SES-10 Mission Briefing

Updates:

And F9 went vertical this morning!

Quote:
Spaceflightnow.com:

03/30/2017 16:16
The Falcon 9 rocket is again standing vertical at pad 39A after being raised upright around 4 a.m. EDT (0800 GMT) this morning.

Dirty core on the pad

Quote:
Spaceflightnow.com:
03/30/2017 22:08 SES 10 launch preps on track

Sources say satellite checkouts are going ahead of schedule this morning after the Falcon 9 rocket went vertical at pad 39A. Airbus Defense and Space, SES 10's manufacturer, expected to need about 13 hours to test and prep the spacecaft once the rocket was vertical at the pad.

Liftoff remains scheduled for 6:27 p.m. EDT (2227 GMT), the opening of this evening's launch window.
And we have a high resolution picture of core 21.

Alright, time for some sleep. Interestingly, SES-10's launch window starts at 6:27 p.m. which coincides with the time when my bus come to fetch me to school at 6:27 a.m. morning (my time here, GMT+8 hrs). School authorities do not allow live rocket launch broadcast in school. So, I wish SpaceX's first reused first stage launch successful.

Godspeed, Good Luck and Go SpaceX!

Last edited by Nicholas Kang; 03-30-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #28
Donamy
Beta Tester

How many of the engines have been re-used ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #29
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 How many of the engines have been re-used ?
Who knows? Maybe none of them. But I am pretty sure, it should be possible to use them for a few burns more.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #30
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Exciting update, apparently fairing recovery will also be attempted for the first time on this mission!

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

L-1 hour, fueling underway!

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News