Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #76
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
 To the degree that you arrange visual elements in a certain order (like a photographer in real life would do for a studio picture) for the screenshot, that could be seen as an artistic achievement in its own right.

Upon reading some (rather contradictory) statements about screenshots taken from commercial games, it seems the whole question is massively murky, but hasn't seriously been put to the test - generally using game and simulator screenshots for unrelated (even commercial) purposes like blogs, fan sites,... seems widely accepted use and apparently has never been challenged.

Its not about games - its also about application software. Especially CAD software screenshots can be troublesome: What if you show a secret prototype of a customer? It actually has been put to the test already in that context.

In games, you can usually rely on the copyright holder not sueing you as long as you are not harming him.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #77
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Quote:
In games, you can usually rely on the copyright holder not sueing you as long as you are not harming him.
Well, that's one of the provisions of 'fair use'. So in the context at hand (using Orbiter and an Addon for a visualization) I would strongly suspect that 'fair use' would be acceptable if nothing else is - that'd allow you to use it without holding copyright (and dodges the question who holds copyright for an arranged screenshot).

The CAD thing has to do with trade secrets and their protection rather than copyright it seems to me, and I'm pretty sure you can't show a screenshot of a computer game before that game is officially marketed either (same reason)... So it's murky to begin with, and by suitably constructing cases to bring in other laws you can make it even more complicated.

(I remember the somewhat weird case of whether printing the source code of a program intended to circumvent copy protection on a T-Shirt is protected by the freedom of speech, based on the notion that the T-Shirt expresses a political message...)
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #78
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
 The CAD thing has to do with trade secrets and their protection rather than copyright it seems to me, and I'm pretty sure you can't show a screenshot of a computer game before that game is officially marketed either (same reason)... So it's murky to begin with, and by suitably constructing cases to bring in other laws you can make it even more complicated.

Its simply civil law. That is already complicated that it does not only know wrong or right, but also "both are right and wrong at the same time".

You might want to call it murky, but in reality, it works pretty well and does not depend on what can buy more lawyers... but not hiring any lawyer is a bad idea, yeah.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #79
Ripley
Tutorial translator

No no no, stop now...It's not a legit copyright discussion without Face's point of view!!
;-)
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #80
Donamy
Beta Tester

I think it's just nice to give credit, where credit is due.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:03 AM   #81
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 No no no, stop now...It's not a legit copyright discussion without Face's point of view!!
;-)
It was supposed to be a discussion about the Soyuz failure...
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #83
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

Great video. Can anyone give a synopsis in English? What are the key points?
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-17-2018, 03:09 AM   #84
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Basically he explains how the staging works, then goes through the footage pointing out what could have gone wrong (one or two vents not open, sensor failure, pyro failures), where you can see it (location and rotation rates of the boosters, lack of gas cloud, etc), basically what would various failure modes look like.

Then he continues doing the same about the escape system and which parts of it worked (tower jettisoned, shroud used).
Then he talks about ISS logistics (Progress is cancelled too), crew changes (trying to avoid the unmanned state at all costs), Soyuz endurance (H2O2 expiration), etc, and how that gets affected.

And after all that he closes with a request to wait for the investigation and avoid making guesses. :/
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #85
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

So, in other words, just rehashing the same ol' stuff we've all covered. Gotcha.
MaverickSawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #86
GLS
Addon Developer

GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #87
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Interesting read here: Astronaut recounts harrowing failed space launch
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #88
IronRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
Interesting indeed!

Quote:
Hague and Ovchinin were all grins from ear to ear, high-fiving each other and cracking jokes about the short flight.
That's exactly how I imagined the first moments after landing

Quote:
The capsule had landed on the hatch that the astronauts are supposed to be able to use to evacuate.
This surpirsed me a bit. Either:
  1. There is a hatch on the capsule that I don't know of
  2. It landed up-side down (which it didn't, and seems impossible to me)
  3. The author sees the movie 'Gravity' as something realistic
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News