Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #166
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast fury View Post
 If ever this is gonna be successful, this should be separated from the true orbiter and should have a different name.
If you mean release a game, separate of Orbiter? We can't do that for several reasons, two biggest ones are that we're not allowed to and second that we don't want to develop a whole new Orbiter, just to run the add-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 It's an add-on for Orbiter. It's already seperated as an add-on, and it makes sense to have Orbiter in the name of an orbiter add-on...

That would be a discussion for SFCONSIM (or, more precisely, is a discussion at sfconsim), and I'm pretty sure that the OBSP devs are using that as a resource...
We will listen to the conclusions of various discussions and will implement many strategies. We'll let the actual simulation then figure out which ones are the most practical ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 You guys should toss in the F-302. It already has 4 hardpoints under the wings. And it is an incredible dogfighter...
It can be done in a few minutes, actually. OBSP is designed so that EVERY plane (right now only planes - anything with engines, wings and control surfaces) can be turned to be OBSP compatible. ETF came up with a way where you create a new config system that tells OBSP information about the vessel you're implementing. Via the config, you tell OBSP where the hardpoints are, what components the vessel should use, how much health and armor it has,...

You can make it OBSP compatible without changing the DLL that powers the vessel. You've already seen we turned the default DeltaGlider, XR2 and F-35 into OBSP with ease
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #167
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
We'll let the actual simulation then figure out which ones are the most practical ones.
Yeah, that's what simulations are for, after all.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #168
dumbo2007
Crazy about real time sims

Yeah that seems like a good idea. Pack the AI with a lot of feasible moves based on relative locations of enemy ships around the DG. Then execute one from the pool which has the greatest likelihood of survival.

If the AI doesnt make it...well one less ship to worry about.
dumbo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #169
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Yeah, that's what simulations are for, after all.
Yea, we hear all this talk about lasers and missiles and giant warships, but we'll see what actually works.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #170
Jarvitä
Orbinaut

I'm heavily conflicted between the pacifist urge to be revolted by the nature of this addon, and the incredible scope and awesomeness of it on the other hand.
Jarvitä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #171
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvitä View Post
 I'm heavily conflicted between the pacifist urge to be revolted by the nature of this addon,
Don't worry, we'll try not to ruin Orbiter

I (obviously) have no problem militarizing Orbiter, but would be appalled if the same thing happened in reality. The reason for this is because I view Orbiter as entertainment - just like movies. People do die in Star Wars, yet most people complain about crap physics, not about the millions or billions of people who die when a planet gets destroyed...

The second thing I really enjoy about OBSP is the challenge of creating it. And believe me, certain parts of it are a real pain to program. I remember how proud I was after months of work, when planes flew in formation without going wonkies, or when the autopilot first dropped a bomb right on target, instead of missing 100 m.

I've learned a lot more about C++, programming in general and Orbiter's API in the time I spent working on OBSP. I know for a fact ETF did as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvitä View Post
 and the incredible scope and awesomeness of it on the other hand.
Thank you very much!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #172
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Great! Can't wait for a beta release.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #173
dumbo2007
Crazy about real time sims

Quote:
I've learned a lot more about C++, programming in general and Orbiter's API
Yeah thats one very useful side effect of addon development. Develops your programming logic and coding skills

Do you also use the Standard Template Library by the way for any of your data structures. I just discovered how useful it can be now with all its built in maps, lists and stuff

With your autopilots and Artlav's UAP, Orbiter is going to get some real intelligence now and make scenarios more challenging.

I will probably get into developing autopilots soon too once I am a bit more familiar with PID controllers etc. I am especially looking forward to developing APs for landing vessels inside bases/spaceships etc once I have the collision detection more worked out.
dumbo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #174
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo2007 View Post
 Do you also use the Standard Template Library by the way for any of your data structures. I just discovered how useful it can be now with all its built in maps, lists and stuff
The structures I use most often are class, struct and std::vector. I don't have a real need to go beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo2007 View Post
 I will probably get into developing autopilots soon too once I am a bit more familiar with PID controllers etc. I am especially looking forward to developing APs for landing vessels inside bases/spaceships etc once I have the collision detection more worked out.
Orbiter's API allows you to do better than an ordinary PID controller. For example, you know the time it takes for the control surfaces to return to no deflection, you know the current aerodynamic forces acting on the plane and so on.
Thanked by:
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #175
mati140
Orbinaut

Sorry for necro but is it gonna be compatible with graphic clients? I'm asking bc all those explosions would blow up my computer if I didn't use D3D9 Client - it hardly works at all at stock D3D7, I'm using Windows 7 and it doesn't have actual D3D7 support.
mati140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #176
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati140 View Post
 Sorry for necro but is it gonna be compatible with graphic clients? I'm asking bc all those explosions would blow up my computer if I didn't use D3D9 Client - it hardly works at all at stock D3D7, I'm using Windows 7 and it doesn't have actual D3D7 support.
Well, we don't have anything to do with the clients. We're just using normal Orbiter's functions to display everything.

You don't need to worry about explosions. The explosions themselves are only 2 smoke particles. There are hundreds of them coming out of the rocket engines, so the explosions aren't the problem
Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #177
BruceJohnJennerLawso
Dread Lord of the Idiots

I hate to be harsh, but as far as im concerned, learning how to kill in space can take a backseat until we can learn to live in space. I think an orbiter developers time could be used in much better ways. just my opinion, sorry
BruceJohnJennerLawso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #178
Rtyh-12
Orbinaut

I think it's great! Sure, we do have a lot of great ships, but this is something different. Besides, space combat is educational. It's not so easy to fire a missile exactly in the right direction and at exactly the right speed to hit a small target half an orbit away.

Of course, I approve of this only if it stays in Orbiter, if it were to happen in reality I'd certainly be against it.
Rtyh-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #179
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

I would prefer a proper 1980s StarWars third world war simulation...

Strategic Defense Initiative – Wikipedia Strategic Defense Initiative – Wikipedia
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #180
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Perlman
 War. War never changes. Since the dawn of humankind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything, from God, to Justice, or simple psychotic rage.
I suppose that space war will have to happen one day.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development

Tags
battle, beta, combat, simulation, test