Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #76
Nicholas Kang
Spaceflight News Reporter

jedidia, do you mean the resolving power of LRO's Wide Angle Camera is greater than MRO's?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

To Ripley and jroly (and of course other members of the forum who have helped me),

I have succeeded in downloading all 6 "giant" high resolution LandSAT texture files for Earth. The next step would be unpacking them. I will update my results later. The texture files are very large and it took me 2 days to complete the download process. First day (yesterday) first 3 parts of the archive and today the remaining 3 parts.

I will unpack my very large Earth resolution files tomorrow. See you then.

Regards,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-24-16 at 12:59 PM ----------

I am now unpacking my very large earth resolution texture files. That would take me 2.5 hours. Only 34% complete as of this reply. I also downloaded the microtexture for area around KSC and VAFB. Now, I have one question. How should I unpack the Hires Microtexture files downloaded from Dr.Martin's "New Orbiter Beta r.55 Released" thread?

Should I simply unpack them into the Orbiter beta folder just like the other 2 planets and Moon's hires texture and allow the new files to overwrite the previous hires texture files that come with the original Orbiter hires Earth texture?

Regards,

Nicholas.

Last edited by Nicholas Kang; 05-25-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Nicholas Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #77
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kang View Post
 jedidia, do you mean the resolving power of LRO's Wide Angle Camera is greater than MRO's?
No, it just means that the map data available for the moon is better.

MRO did not yet achieve full coverage BTW.

http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/bin/hirise.pl
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #78
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
 I am now unpacking my very large earth resolution texture files. That would take me 2.5 hours. Only 34% complete as of this reply.
This is not exciting.
Enjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #79
Nicholas Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 No, it just means that the map data available for the moon is better.

MRO did not yet achieve full coverage BTW.

http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/bin/hirise.pl
Hello, we meet again. You must have known that I am serious (as in the last thread we communicated.) Your serious mentee would like to thank you for sharing with him about MRO data. However, I don't understand why the data looks complete but mentor Urwumpe still says it haven't achieved full coverage. Can you please tell me, mentor?

Your very serious mentee,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 This is not exciting.
Now 54%. 1 hour 47 minutes to go. Extracting at 4.6Mb/s disk drive speed.

You don't have to feel sad. My computer is slow compared to others. I am using APU processor, AMD A6. You don't have to wait and care for me, Enjo. Just do your things and reply others thread as you want. I am ok.

Regards,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Anyway, both of you haven't answered my question. See my previous thread above about microtexture issues.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Ok, first clear view of the SLF. Thanks for all. Then, I speed up time. It is in the evening and finally dark. Nom the runway is lit up. But the SLF night texture is very ugly. It is very rough. Hopefully Dr. Martin can rectify the problem before publishing Orbiter Beta 2016 as a standard version.

Anyway, the LandSAT terrain data is impressive. Thanks Dr. Martin and thanks for all. Wait, don't forget my microtexture question. I am waiting for your answer. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old 05-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #80
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Sorry, I ain't into mentoring. And I choose my apprentices myself.

Quote:
 However, I don't understand why the data looks complete
Noticed that the coverage is only small spots? The MRO does only operate in a snapshot mode, it photographs a small 6 km x 36 km strip of land in a very high resolution (0.3 m) in three spectral channels (until its 3.5 GB RAM is full) and then compresses the data and transmits the data back to Earth.

An image of MRO is made of multiple greyscale image channels, the red channel is 20,000 x 126,000 pixels large, the two other channels 4,000 x 126,000. MRO does not produce true color images like a digital camera (Blue and green are for example one channel for the MRO and only represent a 1.2 km wide sector of the photographed target)

The best mission to produce a full coverage of Mars in true colour so far is Mars Express - but AFAIR it still hasn't completed this yet, in 2012 it had mapped 61.5% of Mars at 10 m resolution.
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #81
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
 Anyway, both of you haven't answered my question. See my previous thread above about microtexture issues.
Because I don't know the answer to this question.

And I'm not sad. I only meant that the information you posted wasn't an exciting thing to read. Compare it for example with posts of Keithth G.
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #82
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
 ...Now have one question. How should I unpack the Hires Microtexture files downloaded from Dr.Martin's "New Orbiter Beta r.55 Released" thread?
Since you are asking for help, can you at least provide us with a precise link to the post with these microtextures you are interested in?

Last edited by Ripley; 05-26-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #83
Nicholas Kang

Quote:
 Sorry, I ain't into mentoring. And I choose my apprentices myself.

Noticed that the coverage is only small spots? The MRO does only operate in a snapshot mode, it photographs a small 6 km x 36 km strip of land in a very high resolution (0.3 m) in three spectral channels (until its 3.5 GB RAM is full) and then compresses the data and transmits the data back to Earth.

An image of MRO is made of multiple greyscale image channels, the red channel is 20,000 x 126,000 pixels large, the two other channels 4,000 x 126,000. MRO does not produce true color images like a digital camera (Blue and green are for example one channel for the MRO and only represent a 1.2 km wide sector of the photographed target)

The best mission to produce a full coverage of Mars in true colour so far is Mars Express - but AFAIR it still hasn't completed this yet, in 2012 it had mapped 61.5% of Mars at 10 m resolution.
Ok. Thanks Urwumpe, who chooses to be a diligent apprentice rather than a mentor.

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote:
 Because I don't know the answer to this question.

And I'm not sad. I only meant that the information you posted wasn't an exciting thing to read. Compare it for example with posts of Keithth G.
No problem, Mr. Ripley is out there to help me. Your link to KeiththG's post fails. Please check again. I cannot link to KeiththG's post by clicking your link.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 Since you are asking for help, can you at least provide us with a precise link to the post with these microtextures you are interested in?
No problem, I thought I had mentioned it. It is the microtexture posted by Orbiter's founder, Dr. Martin in his Orbiter Beta r.55 thread.

Here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36637

See the first post by Dr.Martin. There is only one link there. That is the link I am asking about. I already downloaded the Hi-res texture and also the mixrotexture files by clicking the link in that post. But I am not very sure how to unpack it. Should I just unzip into the Orbiter Hi-res texture files or should I download additional files. Dr. Martin did mention that it is an UPDATE. I am afraid I might overlook some important files.

Please help me Mr. Ripley.

Regards,

Nicholas.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #84
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Ok. Thanks Urwumpe, who chooses to be a diligent apprentice rather than a mentor.
Feel welcome on my ignore list.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #85
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
 ...See the first post by Dr.Martin. There is only one link there. That is the link I am asking about. I already downloaded the Hi-res texture and also the mixrotexture files by clicking the link in that post. But I am not very sure how to unpack it. Should I just unzip into the Orbiter Hi-res texture files or should I download additional files...
Quoting Martin directly. Emphasys mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 ...This should be unpacked in the Orbiter directory ("extract here") and allowed to overwrite existing tiles. Note that this requires the high-resolution Earth textures already installed (either the full texture set, or the 10/08 tile from the map picker in the beta texture repository)...
I cannot be clearer than him.
Keep in mind though that the Low resolution (Earth in this case) textures are mandatory.

So, install in order:
  1. LoRes Textures
  2. HiRes Textures
  3. Updated microtextures
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #86
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Sorry, my bad. Click here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/member.php?u=13384 , then statistics and find all theads by Keithth G... and listen to the poetry of science.

Quote:
 Feel welcome on my ignore list.
Pheh, I don't want you to be my mentor either... mere apprentice.
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #87
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Pheh, I don't want you to be my mentor either... mere apprentice.
Master... Apprentice...
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #88
Notebook
Donator

I'm Spartacus.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #89
Nicholas Kang

No problem Ripley. I have successfully unpacked the files. Thanks. Sorry for interruption.

I apologize. You know, I am an idiot. Teenagers have to learn in a humble fashion from great masters like Ripley, Urwumpe, and Enjo and finally one more, that is Notebook.

Thanks for all your kind help.

My question ends here.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas.
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #90
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
 I apologize. You know, I am an idiot. Teenagers have to learn in a humble fashion from great masters like Ripley, Urwumpe, and Enjo and finally one more, that is Notebook.
Now you're getting it!
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta