Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
rodion_herrera
Moonwatcher
Default Landing Site Location, and current position of lander and YUTU-2

Took a while to figure this out, but I did.

I finally located the *exact* landing spot of Chang'e-4, after analyzing the recently released landing video. The image below is taken from the LROC WMS site, using using higher resolution NAC overlay. The exact landing spot is in the center of the green dashed circle, with the coordinates of latitude -45.456, and longitude of 177.588 (see info box on the left side).

Why do I know this? I analyzed the Chang'e-4 landing video, and I realized the difficulty I had before was because the orbital path of the lander (at the far side) was actually NORTH to SOUTH! So I basically downloaded the video, and turned it UPSIDE DOWN and watched it this way, while looking at the LROC WMS for familiar patterns, and I found it...check the 2nd photo... this shows landing approach, and if you watch the video again, you'll see that the lander will land on that cluster of craters, the pattern of which matches the LROC WMS NAC image.

Remember, if you watch the video again, it's all UPSIDE DOWN with reference to the LROC images of the area, due to the fact that the lander was coming into Von Karman from the north to the south!

Landing site analysis vis-a-vis the panoramic shot. Note encircled craters and match them with the encircled craters in the (partial) panoramic image. CHG is the position of the lander, then the green dotted line to "1" is the initial curved path of YUTU-2 rover which can be seen in the panoramic shot. The sky blue path to "2" is the later path of the rover to its (possible) present location, based on the recent "taking photos of each other" images recently released by the Chinese space agency. Note that YUTU-2's position at "2" has a small crater in the background. That tiny crater is also visible on the first image that shows the landing site.

I also took into account the Sun/shadow angles and they do correspond with the approx. time these images were captured, based on coordinates of the lander on the lunar surface.

-RODION
Attached Thumbnails
49749264_10156130811987654_7101345798184501248_n.jpg   50227154_10156130817467654_5571403143687700480_n.jpg   49723850_10156131060407654_4660292021582299136_n.jpg   49793754_10156131057402654_5616088949802926080_o.jpg  

Last edited by rodion_herrera; 01-12-2019 at 08:33 AM.
rodion_herrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #17
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
Chang'e-4: China Moon probes take snaps of each other
By Paul Rincon
Science editor, BBC News website
11 January 2019
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46836047

Nice pics.
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
Seeds taken up to the Moon by China's Chang'e-4 mission have sprouted, says China National Space Administration.
It marks the first time any biological matter has grown on the Moon, and is being seen as a significant step towards long-term space exploration.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-46873526
Thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #19
4throck
Enthusiast !

I wonder if NASA or ESA would be "bold" enough to carry biological samples to the Moon.
They now have "planetary protection" guidelines to prevent "contamination".
Scientific mysticism at its best...
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #20
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
The plants are in a sealed container on board the lander. The crops will try to form a mini biosphere - an artificial, self-sustaining environment.
On Tuesday, Chinese state media said the cotton seeds had now grown buds.

That's all we, need a fruit-fly/potatoe/cotton hybrid.

N.
Thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #21
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 They now have "planetary protection" guidelines to prevent "contamination".
Of course, its easier to measure deadly fever, if you heat the thermometer first.

Or in other words: If you are interested in locating extraterrestrial amino acids or even microbiological life, bringing it their yourself is not helpful at all.

But if you are just going for propaganda, dropping the first corned beef sandwich on the moon is still an open achievement.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #22
Notebook
Donator

I'm not sure any of those ingredients are in the Frey-Bentos product, though times move on.
As you probably know John Young got there first...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned...l_associations
Old 01-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #23
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with mysticism. It's merely a precaution that if they find any traces of life somewhere some day, they can be sure it's not just something they left behind.

Quote:
That's all we, need a fruit-fly/potatoe/cotton hybrid.
Great setup for a cheesy flick. Astronauts land on the moon to establish a base, get attacked and eaten one by one by a fruit-fly/potatoe/cotton hybrid monster that developed from an earlier biological experiment
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Great setup for a cheesy flick. Astronauts land on the moon to establish a base, get attacked and eaten one by one by a fruit-fly/potatoe/cotton hybrid monster that developed from an earlier biological experiment
Just wait until the scene in which kebab-fruit-bat-man saves them...
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #25
Notebook
Donator

Remember, Time Flys Like An Arrow, Fruit-Flies Like A Banana.

Always suspicious of that...

N.

Last edited by Notebook; 01-15-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling/conjugation
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #26
Notebook
Donator

Strange, the 1980 version with Kurt Russell is on UK telly tonight. He's just lost a chess match to a computer, and a strange dog has arrived, chased by a helicopter...

Scary
Old 01-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #27
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

What are you talking about??
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #28
Notebook
Donator

Apologies, I left out the fact that the 1980's remake of "The Thing" was on UK tv last night.
Forgot that not all Orbinauts live here...

N.
Thanked by:
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #29
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Apologies, I left out the fact that the 1980's remake of "The Thing" was on UK tv last night.
Forgot that not all Orbinauts live here...

N.

Yes, but some of us have been known to drink.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #30
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
The Chinese Chang'e-4 rover may have confirmed a longstanding idea about the origin of a vast crater on the Moon's far side.
The rover's landing site lies within a vast impact depression created by an asteroid strike billions of years ago.
Now, mission scientists have found evidence that impact was so powerful it punched through the Moon's crust and into the layer below called the mantle.
Chang'e-4 has identified what appear to be mantle rocks on the surface.
It's something the rover was sent to the far side to find out.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48285503
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News

Tags
china spaceflight, lunar landing site, lunar roving vehicles