Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #46
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatsoulis View Post
 The problem is this:
-I have the mesh done: 3 groups, 3 materials. I export it from MeshWizard as an OBJ

EDIT: I found Ar81's tutorials, i think i can pick it up from there
I like how the screens are showing them playing Orbiter

So what I would do, is export each group as a obj and to the texturing and whathaveyou. Then import all the objects and save it a a single mesh. That way you can split up the meshes. Probably not the best, if AR's worked then good job, and thanks for the cargo
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #47
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 I like how the screens are showing them playing Orbiter
Glad you noticed! It was either that, or a " " but i don't think there is a way to show the animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 So what I would do, is export each group as a obj and to the texturing and whathaveyou. Then import all the objects and save it a a single mesh. That way you can split up the meshes. Probably not the best, if AR's worked then good job, and thanks for the cargo
Yeap, that's pretty much what it says on
Ar81's tutorial
, but i run into a problem. Eventhough i followed the procedure (step by step), the UV map that was created (for the rocket), didn't look anything like the one on the tutorial. I believe it has something to do with the current version of the UV Mapper. (Which is only natural, Ar81 made that tutorial 3 years ago...)
Anyway, i found a way around that. WINGS 3D! It's free and after watching
AND with Helior's excellent
Wings3D .msh Exporter
, i think i have the mapping and texturing part of making a mesh "down".

Now, i know that the OFMM development part is not doing so well right now, there are a lot of things to do... and not so many people doing them.
For my part, i will use my newly found modelling and texturing skills, to try and provide the meshes needed. Unfortunately, i have NO programming skills... i wish i could help there... but i can't. (Of course... if you asked me a year ago... if i had any modelling or texturing skills... the answer would be NO, so i guess, it's just a matter of time... and the right "incentive").

Now a question. From what i've seen, the Skycrane we need is somewhat stalled. Is there anyway that a modified version of
this
could work?

It's a spacecraft3 vessel (now.. that's something i CAN work with) and eventhough it cannot "pick up" any UCGO vehicles (tested), it can pick up -pretty much- anything else. (Even ummus)

Trying to keep the dream alive...
Respectfully,
Dimitris
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #48
Columbia42
Orbinaut

As for the skycrane, I was thinking more along the lines of something using RTF landable decks technology so that the skycrane would come down and hover over the OSHV on the Martian surface, attach the two vehicles, and fly back up into space.
Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #49
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Now a question. From what i've seen, the Skycrane we need is somewhat stalled. Is there anyway that a modified version of this could work?
Well, I'll retract the Skycrane part from OFMM and do it independently. I have now ~30 pages of specs, some concept drawings and a prototype mesh for the improved biconic variant, too much for letting it die like that.

It wouldn't have enough payload envelope for all those recreational payload boxes anyway. Who needs food, water and oxygen, if he can play air hockey.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #50
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
  Who needs food, water and oxygen, if he can play air hockey.
Don't forget the foosball table.

My apologies Urwumpe, i hadn't seen anything in the development thread about any progress, so i thought that the whole thing had been dropped.

Last edited by dgatsoulis; 08-26-2010 at 02:19 PM.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #51
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexw95 View Post
 im gonna do sattelites / antennas so no one else start it
Why not use an existing satellite from OH? I tend to use the M-15 Mars Explorer probe from World of 2001 for a lot of missions.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #52
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Why not use an existing satellite from OH? I tend to use the M-15 Mars Explorer probe from World of 2001 for a lot of missions.
Wait, does that mean it works in Orbiter 2010? I was under the impression Wo2k1 was totally incompatible.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #53
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 Wait, does that mean it works in Orbiter 2010? I was under the impression Wo2k1 was totally incompatible.
I haven't tried it and I still use Orbiter 2006. Wo2001 has a lot of vessels. I'd be surprised if they are all incompatible.

If it is you still have Pipers Chapman probes ->
Chapman Probe v3.0
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #54
Bj
Donator

Quote:
 Don't forget the foosball table.

My apologies Urwumpe, i hadn't seen anything in the development thread about any progress, so i thought that the whole thing had been dropped.

No, just because its not being talked about on these threads doesn't mean its dropped, just stalled.

Sorry for the long disappearance, but there has been some projects launched at work and they are getting... behind schedule. So its ending up to be some much longer days anyway.

We are not doing the 'hard-core' version that was being talked about, but a sort-of 'in between' using mostly existing modules. Just really need to make it all happen is all.

We will see about getting it finally started now.
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #55
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

So are we talking, "OFMM lite G8"? I messaged with Izack about making OFMM lite more like OFMM, and indeed, it's already in the current plans for G2. Maybe we should bonk this out on irc?

Also, the CTD bug in Wo2001 is caused by an obselete API function call on some specific vessels, so it's not entirely bonked.

Also, BONK!
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #56
Izack
Non sequitur

Crab, I see you've found your favourite class.

Moving on, yes, I think one last meeting is in order. I'm hanging around on the main channel and #ofmm now, if anyone cares to drop in. Combining the two halves of this project would avert certain doom.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #57
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Default 説明なし画像ですよ!ナズリンだけに!

Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #58
Izack
Non sequitur

This is getting hilariously off-topic...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #59
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Well, not really. OFMM Fusion is our future!
...Sort of.

Last edited by River Crab; 09-06-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Links

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM