Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #31
Voyager
Orbinaut

Either we launch 26 months prior to the mission or we launch with the mission so the satellites deploy when the crew is ready to land at Mars.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #32
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

I think launching 26 months prior is unfavorable, because people want to get everything there with one mission. That leaves launching with the missions, and, if we do that, it is probably better just to attach it to the MTV than to have a separate rocket launch. Of course, I don't know if we will do this.

EDIT:
I also think we should pick out a rover right now. We have it down between the Azure or Lunar rover. My vote goes to the Azure, simply because it has more to it. The only reason we would pick the lunar, in my opinion, is for range:fuel consumption. If we are doing anything far from the base, we should use an atmospheric vehicle, perhaps similar to the Shuttle PB or X-38.

Last edited by fireballs619; 07-15-2010 at 01:23 AM.
fireballs619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #33
lennartsmit
Orbinaut

Wow! Finally this project lifted itself to a higher stage. Great work on the PDF, and I haven't spotted any errors.
lennartsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #34
Voyager
Orbinaut

How about we use the Ares? If so it could fly across the equator.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #35
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

I agree with Fireballs for the rover. Azure is just beefier, so we might as well.
As for atmospheric vehicles, do they need to be manned? The X-38 on Mars sounds horribly inefficient; it's already a flying brick on Earth. Could we use something like the Mars Ares Glider, air-dropped from a Skycrane?

IDK any of this, just putting stuff out there.
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #36
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
That is much to heavy to bring along, let alone the fuel needed to launch it, and the need for launch facilities. We need something much smaller and lighter. You don't need the power that the Ares offers to fly across the equator- it can be done much more efficiently.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #37
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

By Ares, do you mean
the glider?

Is it possible to air-launch a glider from the Skycrane? We wouldn't need too much extra infrastructure that way. It doesn't have to be Ares, maybe smaller...
Anyway, isn't the X-38 much heavier?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #38
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballs619 View Post
 That does bring an interesting point up, however. How do we plan on managing communications? Are we just going to man it up while we are there, and deal with the ~20 min delay for radio transmissions, or are we going to pack satellites that will better communications. I can foresee problems arising from losing contact with ground control.
Other than placing a static (for looks only) satellite in orbit, there's really not much to making a communication satellite.

Orbiter simply doesn't simulate the need for radio communications right now. I mean if you needed to send a message (what would it be) and why... Are you going to send a message to yourself on Earth saying what?

Do you see what I mean?

However in real life I cannot see NASA using the aging Mars satellites currently available, given their orbit and low(er) bandwidth. I would guess they would attempt to place a geostationary (whats if called over Mars?) satellite over the main landing designation.

This could only be feasibility done if the MTV would enter the stationary orbit then release the satellite, then continue on its way back to its regular orbit.

Second option is to add a whole engine/guidance system/fuel ext to the module with enough DV to attain its own orbit when released from the destination orbit from the MTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
What?
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #39
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Erm...I don't see a better place to put this, so, uh, here goes:

Yeah...It was originally supposed to be an epic-looking OFMM wallpaper, but it kind of just ended up looking ridiculously inaccurate. Oh well, let's not be wasteful.
Good enough to my wallpaper at the moment, although it looks like something murderous is going to happen at the Mars settlement...

Yeah...you can go back to what you were doing now.
Attached Thumbnails
ofmmwhat3.jpg   ofmmwhat5.jpg   ofmmwhat7.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #40
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 I agree with Fireballs for the rover. Azure is just beefier, so we might as well.
Azure it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 As for atmospheric vehicles, do they need to be manned? The X-38 on Mars sounds horribly inefficient; it's already a flying brick on Earth. Could we use something like the Mars Ares Glider, air-dropped from a Skycrane?

IDK any of this, just putting stuff out there.
X-38 might be a good idea for the ERV (Earth (not mars) return vehicle) which I forgot to include in the reference BTW...

If you read the reference, the OSHV is going to be the habitational vessel where crew will live, eat, sleep in space and on Mars. Really going to be similar to the LM though much bigger and more long-term.
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #41
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

Voyager, if you meant the glider, then I could see it.

I'll do some research to see if it could fly in the atmosphere on mars. Reading in the 'Atmospheric Vehicles' thread, where it was mentioned, I found it was rocket powered, so that will help. It was designed for Mars, and I know that in-orbiter it can fly in atmo, but I'm not sure if that is realistic. Is the fact that it was designed for mars enough verification ?

Quote:
Azure it is.
I'll update the wiki page. It feels great to finally have a selected vessel, even if it is just the SMEV!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #42
n72.75
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
  geostationary (whats if called over Mars?)
Areistationary?

Sounds right, we need an orbiter dictionary...
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #43
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Quote:
but I'm not sure if that is realistic.
Hmm?
They actually built it. It's a real thing, not just an Orbiter addon.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #44
Columbia42
Orbinaut

As for an atmospheric vehicle for Mars exploration, I have an idea. What if we brought along a special cockpit thingy that we could attach to the skycrane and fly around over Mars but not land.
In more detail: After the skycrane has landed the crew on the surface in the Hab module/lander, it flies back up to the stack (or whatever we're calling it) and docks. There a cockpit is attached that can withstand mars atmospheric entry but is not made to land and has no thrusters or propellant. The skycrane with the cockpit attached then undocks from the stack and descends into the Martian atmosphere. The skycrane/cockpit contraption can then fly around Mars making low altitude observations. After this is done, the vehicle returns to Mars orbit* and docks with the stack. If we are feeling really ambitious, we could put some landing gear on the thing and have the skycrane land it. (This vehicle could pick up crew from the base and transport them around the planet).

*I don't think it would actually return to orbit, instead it would just do a suborbital hop and dock with the stack.

So what do you guys think?
BTW, I have no idea what I'm talking about, just thinking since we have these skycranes, why not use them?
Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #45
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by n72.75 View Post
 Areistationary?

Sounds right, we need an orbiter dictionary...
I'd go with Mars-synchronous, if I wanted to be safe.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM