Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #76
Alexw95
Addon Developer

couldnt we design our own scram jet sort of aircraft to fly on mars that could be packed togeather in a apollo lunar rover sort of thing
Alexw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #77
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexw95 View Post
 couldnt we design our own scram jet sort of aircraft to fly on mars that could be packed togeather in a apollo lunar rover sort of thing
...What?
SCRAMjets need Oxygen to burn with fuel, which there is almost none of on Mars, contrary to what the XR2 may have you believe. Orbiter only models pressure and density of planet's atmospheres, not composition. So the XR2 SCRAMs work, but not realistically. Really you'd just be dumping fuel.
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 AM   #78
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Note: this is about the base from the signup thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexw95 View Post
 i have my ways give me 10 minutes

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------
what do you want me to take out what do you want me to leave?

{image}
Whoa! You've got the means! If we we were cat-burglars I would totally team up with you!

I was thinking just the hangars and their textures, but now that I know we can indeed rip apart entire meshes like that, maybe we could use some of the antennas?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #79
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 Note: this is about the base from the signup thread.

Whoa! You've got the means! If we we were cat-burglars I would totally team up with you!

I was thinking just the hangars and their textures, but now that I know we can indeed rip apart entire meshes like that, maybe we could use some of the antennas?
I think we can use any part of any mesh --as long as we get permission from the author
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #80
Alexw95
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 I think we can use any part of any mesh --as long as we get permission from the author
yes i have contacted dan steph but waiting for a reply in the meantime i am going to work on some other meshes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #81
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

One question about the rigid surface modules, like the OSHV: Should they have a wheels like in the recent NASA designs or should they have a simpler landing gear that does not permit moving the modules after landing?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #82
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 One question about the rigid surface modules, like the OSHV: Should they have a wheels like in the recent NASA designs or should they have a simpler landing gear that does not permit moving the modules after landing?
I think a many tonne lander would sink in soft areas if not given a very large number of wheels or wheeled surface area. The motors and power to push such a beast would be large and heavy. Probably better to leave it a simple style landing gear.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #83
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

As far as I understand it, such vehicles have no propulsion, but get pulled slowly by rovers. Since we plan to have massive rovers this shouldn't be a problem. I would say it isn't a bad thing to have.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #84
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 As far as I understand it, such vehicles have no propulsion, but get pulled slowly by rovers. Since we plan to have massive rovers this shouldn't be a problem. I would say it isn't a bad thing to have.
Good thinking, I wouldn't have a problem with that method of moving.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #85
Alexw95
Addon Developer

ok im doing the dll for the hangar and i redid the mesh i will post the mesh will work with current texture maps so all we need is someone to texture

---------- Post added Jul 31st, 2010 at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Jul 30th, 2010 at 04:36 PM ----------

Ok the dll is working a coupple things to fix such as the touchdown points just checking up though
Thanked by:
Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #86
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Hangar textures are almost done. Kinda wish I did them higher res, but oh well.
I textured the doors on the maps you gave me, but the textures aren't showing up on the model yet, so I can't tell if they work.
Also, it might be better if you turned it around, so that the doors face +Z, for when you place something inside it with the scenario editor. Azure lacks the ability to back up, so...

Also, are we naming it after you? W95 Hangar sounds good.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #87
Alexw95
Addon Developer

dont bother with them unless if you really want them i just wipped up some quick ones but feel free to replace
AlexW95's Hangar
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #88
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

RIGHT as I finish them!
I actually do really want them, they actually had...textures.

You did something so that they don't work anymore (they show up black), but here they are anyway...tell me what I'm doing wrong:
Attached Thumbnails
w95hangar_azure.jpg  

Last edited by River Crab; 05-05-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #89
Alexw95
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 RIGHT as I finish them!
I actually do really want them, they actually had...textures.
{image}
You did something so that they don't work anymore (they show up black), but here they are anyway...tell me what I'm doing wrong:

hmm same thing happend to me replace the textures with the old ones and it should work i will work on fixing this bug

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

OK river crab i fixed your textures here it is ( ps i hope it was ok i included them in the release version )
AlexW95's Hangar
Thanked by:
Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #90
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Cool, I'm in the project!

But, there's something wrong with the texture map...how did you compress it? it looks like this:

Which is obviously not right, compare to screenshot in my post above:

The doors look good, it's just the rest of it that's messed up. I'll try fixing it, so hold on.
Attached Thumbnails
W95texturekangarooup.jpg  

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM