Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1234 View Post
 The lack of ummu, ucgo is really keeping me from Orbiter 2016, as I like to land and do stuff.I would be happy to contribute.The UMMUFA addon allows all vessels to take ummu and to be EVA'd from an airlock,so could that be implemented?
Let's not run before we can walk - Woo482 is working on a stable version that allows MMU functionality, and we can build upwards from there.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #32
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyon View Post
 Let's not run before we can walk - Woo482 is working on a stable version that allows MMU functionality, and we can build upwards from there.
In addition, UMMUFA was done by a different author using only the standard API. As soon as the stable version is available, a similar solution might appear here as well.
Thanked by:
Old 02-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #33
Thundersnook
Orbinaut

Is there an option for playing the "Space Music" also in Cockpit-view while in Space? From looking in the CFG-File it seems like there is just external view or complete off. Would be a shame, cause getting the track interrupted every time I switch to cockpit is pretty annoying But maybe I'm just one of the 1% who likes background music anyway
Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #34
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

I could add a setting for that easily enough, but wouldn't hearing the same song looped for 2 hours drive users crazy?

Something else you can do is disable the song in external view (set it to none in XRSound.cfg) and then just play the song looped via Winamp or something.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #35
kuddel
Donator

1st: Thanks for the updated Sound lib!
2nd: Since you now support flac (through the plugin), wouldn't it be far better if your default sounds(*) would be stored as .flac files? This would save a lot of space on Drive and download-size....
*)at least for the "bigger" files.
Thanked by:
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #36
Thundersnook
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 I could add a setting for that easily enough, but wouldn't hearing the same song looped for 2 hours drive users crazy?

Something else you can do is disable the song in external view (set it to none in XRSound.cfg) and then just play the song looped via Winamp or something.
Nice suggestions! I just like to have something running in the background at mid to low volume as some kind of cool, atmospheric static noise. Adds a lot of atmosphere, but I can see that it can drive people mad...
Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #37
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post
 1st: Thanks for the updated Sound lib!
2nd: Since you now support flac (through the plugin), wouldn't it be far better if your default sounds(*) would be stored as .flac files? This would save a lot of space on Drive and download-size....
*)at least for the "bigger" files.
Good point! I just bulk-converted all the .wav files to .flac, and the space used for sound files went from 200 MB down to 127 MB. These will replace the .wav files in the upcoming BETA-3.

EDIT:
So from testing this here, it turns out that, unfortunately, .flac has some additional overhead over .wav, at least with the .flac plugin used by irrKlang, that can cause short dropouts with looping sounds. So we'll have to stay with .wav for now, sorry.

Last edited by dbeachy1; 02-13-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added note
Old 02-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #38
PeterRoss
Warranty man

Quote:

Well, this feature has sense if it's playing some long enough playlist when in space, and not just one looped song. It was quite cool when music started to play when you leave the Earth atmosphere and then it going silent right before reentry when going home. Adds some dramatic experience, I'd say If you don't have plans on playlists support then it has no sense of course. Winamp looks like and option then

Thanks for your efforts on reviving Orbiter playability

Last edited by PeterRoss; 02-13-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #39
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Hmm, thinking about this, I like the idea of being able to use a playlist and to specify when to play the music. What I'm thinking is something like this:

Code:
MusicFolder = XRSound\Default\Music  # this folder will ship with only Solar Serenity.ogg in it
MusicOrder = random # options will be "random" or "sequential"
PlayMusicInternal = off  # options will be "off", "space", and "on"
PlayMusicExternal = space # options will be "off", "space", and "on"
That way, it will still have the exact same default behavior that it does now, but pilots will be able to play back as much music as they want whenever they want to hear it. This will be in the upcoming BETA-3.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #40
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
 Hmm, thinking about this, I like the idea of being able to use a playlist and to specify when to play the music. What I'm thinking is something like this:

Code:
MusicFolder = XRSound\Default\Music  # this folder will ship with only Solar Serenity.ogg in it
MusicOrder = random # options will be "random" or "sequential"
PlayMusicInternal = off  # options will be "off", "space", and "on"
PlayMusicExternal = space # options will be "off"space", and "on"
That way, it will still have the exact same default behavior that it does now, but pilots will be able to play back as much music as they want whenever they want to hear it. This will be in the upcoming BETA-3.
Because the conversation seems to be becoming more detailed, I figure the natural progression comes to the question of MFDs. Do you plan to add an MFD in the same light as Orbiter Sound's for direct control of XRSound within the simulator?

I only ask because this increases the versatility of Orbiter Sound's functions, and XRSound includes many similar features. Is this on the development roadmap at all?

Thanks,

Samuel
Old 02-14-2018, 12:42 AM   #41
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Edwards View Post
 Because the conversation seems to be becoming more detailed, I figure the natural progression comes to the question of MFDs. Do you plan to add an MFD in the same light as Orbiter Sound's for direct control of XRSound within the simulator?

I only ask because this increases the versatility of Orbiter Sound's functions, and XRSound includes many similar features. Is this on the development roadmap at all?

Thanks,

Samuel
Yes, and yes -- XRSoundMFD is slated for XRSound version 2.0.

If there is list of features you would like to see in XRSoundMFD, please post them in-thread. It's still quite early, of course, but it is on the roadmap. Some obvious items would be 1) being able to set a custom music folder, 2) change master volume at runtime, 3) set sequential, random, or single looped playback from music folder, etc.
Thanked by:
Old 02-14-2018, 12:58 AM   #42
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
 Yes, and yes -- XRSoundMFD is slated for XRSound version 2.0.

If there is list of features you would like to see in XRSoundMFD, please post them in-thread. It's still quite early, of course, but it is on the roadmap. Some obvious items would be 1) being able to set a custom music folder, 2) change master volume at runtime, 3) set sequential, random, or single looped playback from music folder, etc.
Thanks for the information!

As much as I adore listening to Julie Payette, I think the OrbiterSound route of "frequencies" and the ability to change them within the simulator would be useful. Other than that, and the music options, I cannot think of any other features to implement that you haven't already.

I do want to sing praises for your vessel proximity alarm. It is very non-intrusive, but defined.

EDIT: I just remembered a dynamic sound cone like the one in OS4 would be neat.

EDIT2: Of course, I just realized both of my suggestions made it into the original post that I totally read all the way through...Sorry.

Last edited by Samuel Edwards; 02-14-2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Remembered something.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #43
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

I get a CTD here at startup during testing, sadly the only difference to a running software is:

Code:
000000.000: XRSound 1.00 Beta-2 (Build Date: Feb 11 2018) initialized using sound driver DirectSound8
It works with a default Orbiter 2016 scenario, but not when using a WIP add-on without any references to XRSound yet.

The scenario is made up like this, maybe you see something helpful there:

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
Testing a single Gemini spacecraft in low Earth Orbit
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 38842.5993113886
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship GT-3
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET GT-3
  MODE Extern
  POS 1.67 -179.86 84.96
  TRACKMODE TargetRelative
  FOV 60.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_SHIPS
GT-3:Project Gemini Ultra/Gemini
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 2949512.92 -5092168.59 2813469.64
  RVEL -6759.934 -1825.985 3553.293
  AROT -116.37 -73.90 152.91
  VROT -0.18 0.00 0.00
  AFCMODE 7
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000 1:1.000000 2:1.000000
END
GT-3-RetroSection:Project Gemini Ultra/RetroSection
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  VROT -0.18 0.00 0.00
  AFCMODE 7
  ATTACHED 0:0,GT-3
END
GT-3-RR-Section:Project Gemini Ultra/RRSection
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  VROT -0.18 0.00 0.00
  AFCMODE 7
  ATTACHED 0:1,GT-3
END
GT-3-EquipmentSection:Project Gemini Ultra/EquipmentSection
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  VROT -0.18 0.00 0.00
  AFCMODE 7
  ATTACHED 0:0,GT-3-RetroSection
END
END_SHIPS
EDIT: It also works with the coarsely fixed World of 2001 scenarios, so it is really just limited to this scenario file. Maybe the problem is in the "/" in the vessel configuration name? Or the whitespace?

Last edited by Urwumpe; 02-14-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 02-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #44
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Thanks for the info, I'll investigate that tonight -- hopefully I can reproduce it. Vessel class names are used to look up that vessel class's config file, if any, so it could be related to that.

Is there any way to reproduce it without those add-ons? If not, which add-ons do I need to install to reproduce it?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #45
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

No idea, as said, its WIP but works without XRSound.

I can say the following:

"/" is no illegal character. World of 2001 uses it, and works fine with XRSound.
" " is no illegal character, the G42-200 scenario works.

Is there anything else incluencing the behavior during PostCreation? I still did not yet refer XRSound in the add-on, its not even linked into it yet. I wanted to finish something else first before getting to include XRSound in the DLL.
Closed Thread

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development

Tags
beta, xr1, xr2, xr5, xrsound