Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #151
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Well if yours does not work out, I still fail finding the time making meshes here.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #152
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Ah, I can help there! My mesh skills are getting better, and I can certainly find time to use them for the sake of OFMM, if not for the sake of a friend. If you need any help, it shouldn't be hard, since we're in close contact.

I can hope, too...
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #153
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

well, I still have not yet finished the meshes for the Skycrane (second version), I have a pretty lengthy PDF with text about design stuff and performance specs, but still no mesh.

It can be scaled up to any surface module size you need, currently I work with 6 m diameter, which is approximately Skylab's size, which appears pretty comfortable from inside. Also, the biconic shape is much more effective than the previous double cone design and much more realistic in terms of technological magic hidden in it.

Essentially, the aft truncated cone part contains a small insulated payload compartment with the crane mechanism, surrounded by four engine modules and methane tanks (self-pressurized), while the front cone contains the LOX tank. All electronics and stuff is in the central section. No docking port, it is berthed by an attachment plate in the aft end, between two engines.

Would not take that long for making a first primitive mesh from the calculations, but I fail finding the serenity for that... every time I try to divert energy, my bad conscience PMs me or posts in the Forum, under varying user names.

There is so much cool stuff waiting to be done with Orbiter, I think it could take me decades to do it all.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 01-03-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #154
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 Ah, I can help there! My mesh skills are getting better, and I can certainly find time to use them for the sake of OFMM, if not for the sake of a friend. If you need any help, it shouldn't be hard, since we're in close contact.

I can hope, too...
To the IRC channel! Awaaay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 well, I still have not yet finished the meshes for the Skycrane (second version), I have a pretty lengthy PDF with text about design stuff and performance specs, but still no mesh.

It can be scaled up to any surface module size you need, currently I work with 6 m diameter, which is approximately Skylab's size, which appears pretty comfortable from inside. Also, the biconic shape is much more effective than the previous double cone design and much more realistic in terms of technological magic hidden in it.
Haven't really been thinking of the descent stage, but it will probably be done up or at least thought about this week. 6m diameter is plenty spacious enough. Right now it's a kitbashed ISS module with legs (hilarious to look at) but permitting there will be a Crab intervention here. Also, work will have to be done in materials strength, useable volume and all of that lovely technical stuff.

When you mentioned Skylab I imagined using an S-IVB with legs as a descent stage. Ludicrous, yes, but it brings to mind the wet-workshop idea, and if some external tanks/upper stages could be brought down and used as living space instead of jettisoned. But that I think would be a later revision. Best to get something releasable first.

Could I get any mass figures on the Skycrane? I don't remember if there were any posted before and I'm not keen on going back through all of this stuff.
If it is going to seriously be used I'll need to redo the flightplan including the additional mass. There are hundreds of m/s Dv to spare in the current one, so mass isn't much of an issue so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Would not take that long for making a first primitive mesh from the calculations, but I fail finding the serenity for that... every time I try to divert energy, my bad conscience PMs me or posts in the Forum, under varying user names.
Did any iterations of the conscience take a name starting with I?
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #155
Alexw95
Addon Developer

how is ofmm doing? ive been away for a while
Alexw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #156
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexw95 View Post
 how is ofmm doing? ive been away for a while
Everything from here onward is relatively recent.

As this message is posted the landing module is being designed.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #157
Alexw95
Addon Developer

well im up for some meshing texture and i could try write a dll
Alexw95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM