Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #31
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Yeah,I would like to see a robotic arm.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #32
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Yeah,I would like to see a robotic arm
Should be possible, Martins even provides a sample in Space Shuttle Atlantis source code. And yeah, the more I think to it, the more I see it necessary to grapple small satellites and service them, would make the spacecraft quite versatile despite its limited dimensions. Maybe not something as articulated, but enough to secure things in the payload bay.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Spend the (dev) day on the docking mechanism again. Those hooks looked ugly, so I redraw them the proper way (the IDSS document has schematics for nearly any part). In fact each pair of hooks has an active and a passive one. Which makes sense, so that they can grapple the hooks on opposite docking port. Each active hook locks with a passive hook, and vice versa.

Also found a much better picture of the Shuttle docking port.

So still work to do, but it begins to look better :

The interesting thing is that you have to understand (at a basic level) how the thing works to model it properly.

---------- Post added 08-19-19 at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-18-19 at 08:02 PM ----------

Took a looot of time, but we're getting there. Still a couple of pins to add, but I have good hope to merge it with the spacecraft tomorrow. Now I see that kind of model as an investment. Animating it in Orbiter is going to be a looot of fun. But first things first.

---------- Post added 08-20-19 at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-19-19 at 07:17 PM ----------

Here we go. Should fit just right under the bay doors once the docking collar retracted. The docking tunnel will be as large as a phone booth but well, that's the idea.

Given the small size of the payload bay, the robotic arm needs 3, maybe 4 segments to be really useful.

Last edited by N_Molson; 08-20-2019 at 08:08 PM.
N_Molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 AM   #33
Interceptor
Orbinaut

I am Really liking what,I am seeing N_Molson great job.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #34
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Tried to export my mesh to Orbiter using Vlad's Blender import/export script... Well, it works. Now it will take a lot of practice to get something that really looks as it should. One thing is that Blender and Orbiter (D3D9 client) handle materials quite differently. Getting normals right is quite obvious for exterior parts such as the hull, but a bit tricky for inside. And I'll have to get into textures & UV mapping at some point, which scares me a little bit. Need to watch a bunch of tutorials
N_Molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #35
4throck
Enthusiast !

Blender's realtime OpenGL preview is close to Orbiter rendering. So use that and you should be fine.
Normals can get flipped on export. A solution is to use double sided faces.
For the VC you might have problems with Orbiter camera clipping distance. Depends on your view and if you are using multiple meshes or not.

Good luck!
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development