Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #46
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
 The vessel seems more stable with the fins swept back. I see a change in the acceleration between extended / retracted which I assume is done by changing the wing area?

Unfortunately Orbiter seems to allow only horizontal and vertical wings, defined by LIFT_VERTICAL and LIFT_HORIZONTAL. I would add vertical fin(s) with the area of the main fins x sine of the sweep angle. If you keep their lift function low, there should be no crazy spinning.

Could the fins being used during reentry? Well, 'normal' lifting bodies like ESA's Space Rider use body flaps to trim the AoA during reentry. So I would assume a slight deviation from the swept-back orientation would be ok to assist the RCS.
By the way, I guess the swept-back angle is more than 45°, maybe like 70° for the initial reentry phase, to keep the forces on the fins low.
Yes, what I have so far is a vertical and a horizontal aerofoil for the Hull 450m^2 each, two Canard aerofoils 18m^2 each, two Wing aerofoils 54m^2 each. The Canard and Wings are scaled by cos(deflection) angle.
There is now also a "vertical" aerofoil for the wings,scaled by sin(deflection). This adds a bit more yaw/roll stability.

I moved the hull CoP up and back a tiny bit, which gives an AoA of ~58deg. And you can trim that up or down by setting a small deflection in the wings for extra or less drag.

Default fin deflection is 60deg in Reentry mode.
Aerofoil steering in Reentry mode now possible.

Quote:
 A note on future versions: The hinges on the current SpaceX Starship look makeshift. I doubt they will be the same on the final production versions. They might either be more blended-in into the body, or the body will get a sharp edge just below the hinges to force airflow separation.
Yes, the Mk.1 is obviously not designed to go much above 20km!
I'm just distracting myself thinking about doing reentries with it, I know :-)

Added throttle control to the Anti-groundspeed attitude function - so now it's a "Flip'n'Land" function - use from 4km to 2km alt. depending on vertical speed. No targeting though.

Also added BocaChica base (very simple) and a couple of scenarios including a recorded REPLAY of my best landing at BocaChica.

If you're doing any flights from Texas, I can recomend grabbing the Hi-Res Earth textures for the BocaChica area here:
https://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/o...thHi_10_07.zip

Anyway, here's the latest beta .zip
starship_mk1_beta_191021.zip

Cheers,
Brian
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #47
francisdrake
Addon Developer

I took the Starship for a trip from LEO to lunar landing, using the 'Challenge 2 - Lunar transfer' scenario, replacing the Delta Glider with Starship.
It worked, after some trial and error. The picture above shows the ship incoming using the Flip'n'Land function.

Very nice trip! Started with full tanks from LEO and arrived with 12 ton fuel remaining on the lunar surface.

Two remarks:
Maybe the wing movement could be turned off completely for space operations (e.g. as an additional 'B' aerofoil mode).

I had occasional Orbiter crashes using the Killrot command in deep space. Maybe this was related to the wings flapping out of bounds, or their control algorithm exceeding a value, dividing by zero, or so.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #48
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Nice! So much for "not designed for going above 20km"
You can turn off the aerfoil steering with ALT + NUMPAD /.
I'll have a look in the code for any possible CTD causes - could well be a math problem, away from Earth. Can't see why it would be related to KillRot function, but will check.

I learned from this talk that it's not a "Flip'n'Land", it's a "Reorientation Maneuver"

Cheers,
Brian
Old 11-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #49
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Played around to dock the Starship to a tanker. Added a docking port to the rear of the Starship through the cfg-file.

Looking backwards while docking is possible by changing the view with 'E'. The backward/forward translational RCS is a little sluggish, as the thrusters mainly blow outward, only little in axial direction.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #50
Jeremyxxx
Orbinaut

When is the rocket for the Starship (BFR) going to be made? because I have been wanting to see an unmanned variant for cargo scenarios.
Jeremyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #51
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Played around to dock the Starship to a tanker. Added a docking port to the rear of the Starship through the cfg-file.

Looking backwards while docking is possible by changing the view with 'E'. The backward/forward translational RCS is a little sluggish, as the thrusters mainly blow outward, only little in axial direction.
Cool! In future, I might add a tanker+fuel-transfer variant.
My Mk.1 RCS is definitely not designed for orbital operations
But I hope we'll get some clear pics of what SpaceX are actually doing with the RCS, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyxxx View Post
 When is the rocket for the Starship (BFR) going to be made? because I have been wanting to see an unmanned variant for cargo scenarios.
At the moment, I'm still having fun trying to figure out some kind of landing guidance for the Starship (I hope SpaceX are doing better than I), so might be quite a while before I get to doing boosters.

Cheers,
Brian
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development