Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #31
Woo482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 Hey Woo482 would it possible in a future version to a add an extra keystroke to arm the airlock before opening a specific airlock,for example if there were 4 airlocks on a vessel,you would press the key number of the airlock,such as 1.and,another key to open the airlock before the EVA,and a voice,and or text message would appear saying what number airlock is open,and ready for EVA?
oMMU is intended as a framework for other developers to use in implementing crews into their vessels - adding features like these would detract from that goal, though if I added UMMUFA-like features to allow any vessel to support oMMU without needing changes in the C++ module in the future a feature like mentioned would likely be a part of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 Can somebody tell me the differences between the two?
Exactly as Marijn said, ship -> ship transfers are done through docking port airlocks, the other type requires walking / flying your crew member between the vessels.
Woo482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #32
4throck
Enthusiast !

Suggestion: handle everything from a MFD where you can see available ports, ships, spawned EVA guys/girls, etc.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #33
Woo482

For 1.0 I just want to focus on the C++ API itself and providing a good framework so that vessels like the XR Series can implement oMMU. The plan is to implement more advanced features like that in future versions - I already have a ton of ideas there (Universal oMMU, habitats, basic 'base' management, cargo frameworks, etc.) but if I started expanding the scope that rapidly now oMMU would turn into a Star Citizen level project of over promising and never delivering (Though unfortunately without the $50,000+ / day income )
Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #34
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Suggestion: handle everything from a MFD where you can see available ports, ships, spawned EVA guys/girls, etc.
I really don't think an MFD is a good way to handle it. It would potentially bypass closed airlocks, since that functionality would be implemented by the vessel, not ommu itself.

It would be better to have a dialog box to manage vessels that don't have a ommu implementation, and lotherwise leave the implementation to the implementing vessel.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #35
Loru

Kinda works (boilerplate vessel for rendering testing):

Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #36
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Is there a beta for testing?
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #37
Loru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattispilot View Post
 Is there a beta for testing?
Not yet. It's pre-alpha ATM and I'm using default .CFG vessels for rendering tests of the models.
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #38
Woo482

The intention is for a private alpha with the XR-Series in a few weeks, with release of the initial public beta version not long after that.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #39
gattispilot
Addon Developer

So to transfer crew. Will the ships need to be docked?

The reason is lets say a vessel like my LER has a crew person and they want to exit into the habitat module. It would need to dock to it, right?

My issues is sometimes docked landed vessel don't do to well.

And because of terrain the docking may not visually align.
Thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #40
Woo482

There's no reason they have to be docked, I can add a function to the API to allow transfers by vessel handle if it'll be helpful. Also, apologies for blowing right past the estimated date for first release - I've been busier with other things than I had hoped.
Thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #41
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Sounds good. So you would enter the handle to the transferee vessel? That sounds good.
Thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #42
Woo482

Quote:
 Sounds good. So you would enter the handle to the transferee vessel? That sounds good.
Pretty much, the vessel would have to implement oMMU to receive the transfer but it'd otherwise work the same as a docked transfer.

This type of functionality would also be useful for bases as vessels / modules (e.g., how Ascension Ultra worked for managing ummus) - so it'll definitely be added. Maybe CSSC v2.0 would be a good test bed for this

Last edited by Woo482; 03-20-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #43
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Are thinking about cargo if the future? Like UCGO

UCGO kinda works but with no ummu to open it is dead weight/visual

Look forward to testing on the Ranger and LEr on the moon
Thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #44
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo482 View Post
 This type of functionality would also be useful for bases as vessels / modules (e.g., how Ascension Ultra worked for managing ummus) - so it'll definitely be added.
That would be a good thing for base developers. With UMmu, AU had to circumvent the transfer-when-docked restriction by means of creating a virtual docking situation AKA hooking into GetDockStatus(). It worked pretty well, but yeah... it was just a hack.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #45
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Are thinking about cargo if the future? Like UCGO

UCGO kinda works but with no ummu to open it is dead weight/visual

Look forward to testing on the Ranger and LEr on the moon
I would suggest separating both passengers/crew and cargo. While both are just payloads from a spaceflight perspective, its better if you could choose the framework that suits you best, instead of getting bloat.

But having a common SPI for cargo handling in Orbiter might be good, so multiple different cargo or producer/consumer add-ons can interoperate.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development

Tags
development, eva, mmu, ommu