Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #91
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Speaking of performance - was anyone else getting an ungodly long loading time at the start?
I have a fairly beefy system, and yet it still took several minutes of "loading" shaders and then staring at a starfield with no other messages.
Don't worry, that's just NMS creating and caching the shaders -- it only happens once right after you upgrade your video drivers or when a major game update is installed. Load time is much faster after that.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #92
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Beautiful day here on planet Sout Gamma in the Ashiris system -- it's a "Bountiful" planet:

Thanked by:
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #93
Abloheet
Addon Developer

I love playing No Man's Sky NEXT. It was worth buying it on steam sale. I have also played it before, for testing purpose, and I did enjoy that experience.

First time I played No Man's Sky NEXT, met another player soon enough. It was an awesome experience. Played with him for a few hours. Never met him again
Abloheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-12-2018, 03:27 AM   #94
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Came across an "Airless Planet" here in the Ashiris system -- lots of metals, but not much else!

That planet you see eclipsing most of the star is Sout Gamma, which is the planet in my previous screenshot.

EDIT:
This is the third planet in the Ashiris system, Luywoodsh: a "Nuclear Planet" with a weather type of "Enormous Nuclear Storms". So I couldn't resist building a mini-base there.

Last edited by dbeachy1; 08-12-2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added screenshot of Luywoodsh
Thanked by:
Old 08-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #95
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Having played it some more, it makes me feel like i'm playing a homeless simulator.
There are people everywhere, zooming by and walking around, civilization is omnipresent and never far away.
There is no real wilderness - you land on a planet and start building, but it feels like you are in a park, with the city just behind the next hill.
And yet the assets all imply wilderness and frontier kind of things, which makes the whole thing feel incoherent, to some extent.

Kinda breaks the immersion a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 Load time is much faster after that.
Hm, it is a bit faster, but this is still the longest-loading game i have.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #96
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Having played it some more, it makes me feel like i'm playing a homeless simulator.
I think that's the funniest analogy I heard for the game to date

Quote:
And yet the assets all imply wilderness and frontier kind of things, which makes the whole thing feel incoherent, to some extent.
I agree. It's kind of tied a bit into the back story, what with large scale planetary operations being off limits to all races due to the omnipresence of robotic genocidal environmentalists, but the whole thing does feel a bit off... There are uncharted and abandoned systems now, which provide a nice change of feeling, but I would have prefered it a lot if they would have clustered things up a bit. Like large stretches of completely untouched space between patches of civilisations.

Quote:
Hm, it is a bit faster, but this is still the longest-loading game i have.
I'm playing underspecced, but have it installed on an SSD. Game consistently loads in less than 10 seconds, which I don't consider *that* much (Subnautica has longer loading times, for example, but I have that one installed on a conventional HD, so it's not really a fair competition).

Last edited by jedidia; 08-12-2018 at 07:30 PM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #97
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

This was a fun read. How I pulled off the greatest escape from No Man's Sky's deadliest planet
Thanked by:
Old 08-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #98
garyw
O-F Administrator

I just bought this and have been getting to grips with it. First of all, the tutorial SUCKS. The rest of it is not bad and i will admit that I spent too long on my first planet just looking around before I realised that the rain was toxic and I was kinda in trouble!

Interesting game.... More to discover.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-13-2018, 04:00 AM   #99
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Two more screenshots tonight, both from the Kawariyak XVII system:

This is Reath Q46, an "Isotopic" planet. It's radioactive, but nothing like Luywoodsh from my earlier screenshots is.

And this is Henuna III, another (rare) "Anomaly Planet":

Thanked by:
Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #100
garyw
O-F Administrator

I named this world "Not quite Earth". I love the rings on the horizon. I'll be here for a while.

garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-15-2018, 03:14 AM   #101
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Some more co-op tonight with Woo482 on Gifield Delta in the Ilippia-Tina VII system. This particular planet was beautiful (and had some wild creatures!)...when it wasn't trying to fry us with superheated rainstorms.

Here's another shot on planet Gifield Delta, this time at night with nominal weather:

...and one more shot, this time during the day:

Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge