Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Simpit Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Simpit Forum Share & discuss simpit projects for Orbiter here!

Old 08-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
ahunn
Orbinaut
Default Orbiter 2016 a better bet for simpit?

A few years ago I researched an Orbiter simpit but came to the realization that simulating controls with toggle switches and push buttons and some type of keyboard emulator was easy enough, getting the vessel state to drive led's or other indicators was not possible, never mind 120 degree projection external visuals... has anything changed in that regard with the release of Orbiter 2016?
ahunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
TCR_500
Biblical Creationist

I'm not sure, but you may need to make a DLL for orbiter which outputs data to a USB device, a driver for a USB device, and a custom USB device to drive the LEDs. I found this thing on a Google search to help you get started.

I believe all the stock vessels are open source. It shouldn't be too hard to modify them to output to your USB device.
TCR_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
ahunn
Orbinaut

Thanks TCR_500, I have a number of hardware options, but I had settled on Arduino, particularly as the Processing language seems doable for a non-programmer like me to build the systems. But unfortunately I do not have any programming experience, so building a custom .DLL is probably a step too far. Maybe that is something I would consider contracting out.
ahunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
yagni01
Addon Developer

The Orb::Connect add-on plus add-ons by Kamaz and others made it eminently doable to drive LEDs and inputs from switches. The XR- vessels have an interface that allows for really detailed vessel control. Master/Slave should enable you to drive external views, although I never personally got that far. Mine was looking pretty awesome before I had to take it down. Unfortunately, imageshack broke all the links to my photos.

I know Orbiter-2010 is supported, but don't know about 2016 version.
yagni01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Simpit Forum