Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #16
Marg
Orbinaut

Just wanted to ask - are there somewhere AERODYNAMIC parameters for Space Shuttle available? I mean - to use with spacecraft3. in ini file. I know spacecraft3 allows quite a lot of parameters, like VAIRFOIL=... etc., I have something, seems to be from default Atlantis (?) in some older STS-101.ini , but it is hard to follow the SHUTTLE curves in GLIDESCOPE. In spite of this, I have managed to arrive near HAC regularly. A know that someone (DavidS) wrote that those parameters are not quite right, and it is definitely so - speed is not decreasing as fast as it should, although I tried to keep AoA as much as possible close to 40 degrees.
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #17
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
 Just wanted to ask - are there somewhere AERODYNAMIC parameters for Space Shuttle available? I mean - to use with spacecraft3. in ini file. I know spacecraft3 allows quite a lot of parameters, like VAIRFOIL=... etc., I have something, seems to be from default Atlantis (?) in some older STS-101.ini , but it is hard to follow the SHUTTLE curves in GLIDESCOPE. In spite of this, I have managed to arrive near HAC regularly. A know that someone (DavidS) wrote that those parameters are not quite right, and it is definitely so - speed is not decreasing as fast as it should, although I tried to keep AoA as much as possible close to 40 degrees.
We have some "aero files", that I have no idea how they are used or where they came from. They are the .csv files in the Config folder.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 We have some "aero files", that I have no idea how they are used or where they came from. They are the .csv files in the Config folder.
Seems like SiameseCat was working on those back in 2012: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...postcount=2115
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #19
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Quote:
The most accurate method (which allows to predict PeA and also ApA after burn) depends more knownledge of astrophysics and programming (to solve numerical equations).
If I may use the opportunity and again mention my LEO targeting code - which is a numerical optimizer/solver for things like Shuttle burns and does things like 'find the most fuel-efficient ignition time to meet the insertion PEG-4 target' or 'find the burn parameters that will give me a 3800 mile range from entry interface to site'.

(Of course you can always program the same thing, it's not exceedingly complicated, just tedious).

Quote:
Just wanted to ask - are there somewhere AERODYNAMIC parameters for Space Shuttle available?
Tons actually. For a rather comprehensive collection look into

Aerodynamic design of the Space Shuttle Orbiter, Bornemann and Surber, Rockwell International Space Systems Group.

Entry Dynamics of Space Shuttle Orbiter With Longitudinal Stability and Control --- Uncertainties at Supersonic and Hypersonic Speeds, Stone and Powell, NASA.

Space shuttle: Determination of the aerodynamic interference between the space shuttle orbiter, external tank, and solid rocket booster on a 0.004 scale ascent configuration, Ramsey, Buchholz, Allen and Dehart, NASA.

(All of these are in public domain and can be found on the web - NASA document server has them most likely).

I also have them in a nice and streamlined version (aka same unit definitions, gaps interpolated,...) in my FG Shuttle project. Be warned - the Shuttle is exceedingly yaw-unstable if you use real aerodynamics - so you need to invest lots of work into the Aerojet DAP to make it fly properly, the controllers have to be rather carefully tuned to switch over from jets to elevons and finally rudder with Mach-dependent gains.

Last edited by Thorsten; 07-06-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges