Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:21 AM   #2431
DaveS
Addon Developer

GLS: Your presence is requested in the official terrain bug ticket: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=1408 as you were the one who did the terrain modifications as the tileedit tool refused to work for me.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #2432
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 GLS: Your presence is requested in the official terrain bug ticket: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=1408 as you were the one who did the terrain modifications as the tileedit tool refused to work for me.
Sorry I missed the party, but I was sleeping.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

On the hidden triangles in SLC-6: the TSM umbilicals and piping cost almost 100k triangles! Which IMO is a bit too much, especially when most of it is hidden inside the TSMs. Just deleting the hidden triangles cuts about 10% of the original size (at no loss for detail), but we could delete the sections of pipes that run after the "back support" (a bend and vertical section), and much more could be gained. This could be done in time for the release. In the future, the pipes could probably be simplified: a slight decrease in their curving (so less sections) and also decreasing their detail by using, e.g., 10 instead of 20 vertices around.

Again for the record, I'm not against detail. But this alone costs almost as much as the entire OV, and it's small and mostly hidden.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #2433
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Again for the record, I'm not against detail. But this alone costs almost as much as the entire OV, and it's small and mostly hidden.
Also, some smaller details could be done as textures, since we really rarely get close enough to notice the difference.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #2434
GLS
Addon Developer

Ok, after losing a good chunk of the changes, because half-way thru saving the mesh blender decided it would write gibberish, and moments later my pc when kaput, I got half of the work done on the SLC-6_STS_LaunchMount.msh file.
Results so far:
>> original
v 114920
t 142321

>> current WIP with all groups cleaned except LOX umbilical (which is on the LH2 side )
v 97747 (-14.94%)
t 125261 (-11.99%)

If 10-15% isn't impressive, then 20000 vertices and triangles is. And probably there is still another 20K inside the other TSM.
Thanked by:
Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 AM   #2435
DaveS
Addon Developer

I've managed to reduce the LOX TSM umbilical triangle count by 84.8%. So down from 58,791 triangles to 8,947 triangles. The vertex count is down by 71.4% from 27,128 to 7,762. Note these numbers may not be correct once exported to the msh format.

I'm sure I could get the LH2 umbilicals down a similar amount.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 AM   #2436
Donamy
Beta Tester

If you are reducing in AC3D. When you export as .msh the vertices stay welded. When you import to AC3D is when the vertices get unwelded for some reason.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #2437
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 I've managed to reduce the LOX TSM umbilical triangle count by 84.8%. So down from 58,791 triangles to 8,947 triangles. The vertex count is down by 71.4% from 27,128 to 7,762. Note these numbers may not be correct once exported to the msh format.

I'm sure I could get the LH2 umbilicals down a similar amount.
Good!
So there is no point in me continuing the work in the umbilicals at SLC-6, right?
I'll commit it anyway tonight, as there were changes in other groups, and then I'll move to the MST, as the grid structure there seems to have fat.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #2438
Wolf
Donator

I think there are still some issues with the latest mesh.

1) There is an area located on the upper wing close to the leading edge where the texture looks wrong. This is difficult to detect when viewing Atlantis/Discovery or Endeavour but it is quite evident looking at Columbia and Challenger original since they have white tiles with lettering in that area.
Click image for larger version

Name:	507.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	16590

2)There is also a problem where the black metal strip inside of the RCC merges with the wing white tiles.

Name:	510.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	16591

3) Last is the old Side Hatch issue which was fixed time ago but now shows up again.

Name:	513.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	16592
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #2439
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 I think there are still some issues with the latest mesh.

1) There is an area located on the upper wing close to the leading edge where the texture looks wrong. This is difficult to detect when viewing Atlantis/Discovery or Endeavour but it is quite evident looking at Columbia and Challenger original since they have white tiles with lettering in that area.
Attachment 16590

2)There is also a problem where the black metal strip inside of the RCC merges with the wing white tiles.
Attachment 16591

3) Last is the old Side Hatch issue which was fixed time ago but now shows up again.
Attachment 16592
Needs some fine-tooth remapping.
Thanked by:
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #2440
GLS
Addon Developer

In image 2, it's the gear wheel well poking out, and I noted that in the OV mesh issues ticket.
Thanked by:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #2441
Donamy
Beta Tester

I don't think, that's what it is. It looks like distortion, where the RCC meets the black leading edge tiles.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra