Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #76
Donamy
Beta Tester

I did watch the video, for sure.

Having a light attached, with out another vessel being attached, is what I asking about.

Thanks
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #77
fred18
Addon Developer

I implemented the function and it seems to work:
once a light is created, users will be able to decide whether to specify the position and direction explicitely or to choose an attachment to refer to.
The only issue about this is that the process is irreversible, you can't change your mind later on, you'll have to delete the light and recreate it without the link to the attachment. Nothing serious anyway. I'll post a short video soon to show it

Last edited by fred18; 03-05-2019 at 10:55 PM.
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-06-2019, 03:00 AM   #78
Donamy
Beta Tester

You are the man.

Thanked by:
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #79
fred18
Addon Developer

Lights Almost done... it means that the module is almost ready for the pre-release. I'd like to fix a couple of things first, and maybe add an exhaust definitions sections that will add the only customization that is possible in the API not possible at the moment in the VesselBuilder...
Then I think I will post here a pre-release so people could start to get familiar with the module and highlights issues and bugs, while I'll start to develop the Events sections that will add a very significative functionality to this module.

In the meantime here are the lights:

Creation Dialog:

Point Lights Dialog

Spot Lights Dialog

Final result (a point blu light and a red spotlight active)
Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #80
4throck
Enthusiast !

Looks fantastic! This will take some time to test in full.

I don't have much time right now, but will try to give it high priority.
I'll try to rebuild the AAPO add-on using this, seems like a good test, starting with the Apollo CMS.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #81
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 This will take some time to test in full.
I agree. Consider that you'll have available the full set of possible features but each vessels only uses a subset of them. For example the ISS won't probably use the airfoils and the touchdownpoints sections, but will exploit at maximum the multimesh possibilities, while a spaceplane like the DG will probably use just one mesh but will try to exploit the airfoils at its best and so on.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #82
fred18
Addon Developer

I took a bit of time to fix and put a definitive seal to the Thrusters part.

I added the possibility to add an infinite number of custom pos and dir exhausts and particles, basically adding the only thing that was left out. The good part is that the user will define everything within the same thruster window, so very easy and intuitive: you define a thruster, then expand the window and define its exhausts and particle streams.

Here's the window not expanded

and here's the window expanded
Old 03-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #83
Donamy
Beta Tester

You don't know how bad, I'm wanting this.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #84
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 You don't know how bad, I'm wanting this.

the pre release is coming real soon. I want to add the variable drag elements which should be really easy and quick and then make a couple of fixes relevant to general stuff, like folders, configs etc. I will do my best to put out the prerelease within this weekend... I'm not promising but I'm confident. It will surely have some bugs here and there but at least users will start to get familiar with this.

And once the pre-release is out I will start working on the events that will make this much funnier also from the developing side!
Thanked by:
Old 03-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #85
Donamy
Beta Tester

Ha ha funnier, or peculiar funnier ?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #86
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Ha ha funnier, or peculiar funnier ?
Peculiar: after all this work now it became quite boring to define the length of an exhaust or the position of a light or this kind of details... Events will be action: spawn childs, trigger animations, detach payloads and whatever ideas can come out, so it will both to code and to test much more fun.
Thanked by:
Old 03-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #87
Donamy
Beta Tester

Kind of on the lines of UAP ?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #88
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Kind of on the lines of UAP ?
I think he meant more funny for him to develop.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #89
Donamy
Beta Tester

Going out on a limb here. Would one of those events be, changing a texture to another ? Like for reentry charring ?
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #90
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 I think he meant more funny for him to develop.
yes, even though I think that it will be the fun part also for the users in the end

Quote:
 Going out on a limb here. Would one of those events be, changing a texture to another ? Like for reentry charring ?
Why not?

my idea is to put a series of possible events, and a series of conditions that will trigger them and then the user will build his own combinations.

Up to now my ideas were:

possible events:
- spawning of a child
- triggering of an animation
- firing of a thruster/thruster group
- vessel partial/total reconfiguration
- payload jettison

possible triggers:
- keypress
- altitude threshold (from below or from above)
- fuel tank level threshold
- velocity threshold (from below or from above, meters/second or mach)
- time limit (mjd or missione elapsed time)

I now would add texture exchange as a possible event and a dynamic pressure threshold as a possible trigger.

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2019 at 13:43 ---------- Previous post was 8th Mar 2019 at 22:13 ----------

Variable Drag Elements section up and running...

The pre-release part is basically over.

I also added a new command in thruster_group section which creates a default RCS system. This allow to have with just one click a complete set of thrusters and thruster groups that allow to steer the vehicle. Thrusters and group will just then appear in their relevant sections so the user will then be able to customize them at wish. I think that it will be an option very often used.

I also changed a bit also the automatic backup procedure of the configs: after I realized that due to a glitch I lost a lot of settings of the DG example I decided that the backup procedure was not enough, so now, instead of just a copy of the old cfg, the module creates a txt file where it appends all the backups marked with the system date. This means that the backup file can become big after many open and close of the editor, but the user won't lose a single data and will have the full story of its vessel during development in that file, and in case he can erase part of it or the whole file if he wants to free space. Anyway we are talking about txt files, so it could become a couple of MB after some hundreds of opening and closing, so nothing serious.

So I want to do two things more before posting the pre release:
- Prepare a good Log functionality so everything will be logged and easy to trace
- Finalize a small set of examples (DG, robotic arm, Cupola, first section of the ISS).

And then the pre-release will be posted here.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development