Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #31
jacquesmomo
Kourou CSG addon Developper

Hi Fred

Just a question by the way ....

Will it be possible to simulate an umbilical mat with cryogenic arm and umbilicus ?

(I do not know if you remember but we already talked about this)

That is to say a "immobile vessel" placed on the ground with the cryogenic arms and umbilicals that can retract during the launching of the rocket...

Like this :

That would be great and the ultimate....
jacquesmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #32
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesmomo View Post
 Hi Fred

Just a question by the way ....

Will it be possible to simulate an umbilical mat with cryogenic arm and umbilicus ?

(I do not know if you remember but we already talked about this)

That is to say a "immobile vessel" placed on the ground with the cryogenic arms and umbilicals that can retract during the launching of the rocket...

That would be great and the ultimate....
Absolutely yes... With the events section it will be possible to trigger animations at certain time, so it will be enought to sync the times between tower and rocket.

I have been thinking and with the events sections the implementation also of a multistage vessel could be possible. I think that the big thing about the current multistage is above all guidance, but bringing guidance to the VesselBuilder would be risky, so once this is done an external plugin, like an mfd, could be done which simply adds multistage guidance capabilities to a VesselBuilder vehicle.

I have to honestly say that I am very happy with the current development status: I did all I could to make the module the more versatile possible, and the approach is paying! In order to make tests I have a series of example test vehicles:
- A robotic arm (the SSRMSD of the video)
- the DeltaGlider rebuilt with VesselBuilder
- a part of the ISS, so a complex space station
- a simple satellite model

All done with this VesselBuilder... I think that the versatility is there. Now I have to keep working hard to finish the job and fix any bug.
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #33
jacquesmomo
Kourou CSG addon Developper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 Absolutely yes... With the events section it will be possible to trigger animations at certain time, so it will be enought to sync the times between tower and rocket.
Great !!! Super !!!
jacquesmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #34
Donamy
Beta Tester

Will you make is so the attachments, only grapple certain ID names ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #35
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Does anyone have a set of CL and CM function of AOA parameters relevant to a typical capsule (Apollo CM for example) that is willing to share for this project? of course everything will be credited!
A quick search returned this for the Apollo CM: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9680021973.pdf
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #36
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Will you make is so the attachments, only grapple certain ID names ?
At the moment that function is not implemented. The current implementation of grappling foresees a user-defined range for each attachment. the module scan if there are vessels with attachment points within the range and choose the closest one.

In theory the check on the ID could be implemented, I just wonder if it is really used by users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 A quick search returned this for the Apollo CM: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9680021973.pdf
Wow, thanks a lot, that's a fantastic starting point to derive a set of average points! Thanks!!

In the meantime i'm working on the VC... HUD is working perfectly, so the VC positions. MFD are displaying correclty and if I stop there it could be done. But I'm trying to implement a click system for MFD buttons even though is not so easy. Besides HUD and MFDs there isn't much to do in the VC, since the rest of the functions are too highly specific for each vessel, it's impossible to implement them in a general module.

so here's a quick shot of the VC of the DeltaGlider done with VesselBuilder:
Thanked by:
Old 03-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #37
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:
 At the moment that function is not implemented. The current implementation of grappling foresees a user-defined range for each attachment. the module scan if there are vessels with attachment points within the range and choose the closest one.

In theory the check on the ID could be implemented, I just wonder if it is really used by users.

Wow, thanks a lot, that's a fantastic starting point to derive a set of average points! Thanks!!

In the meantime i'm working on the VC... HUD is working perfectly, so the VC positions. MFD are displaying correclty and if I stop there it could be done. But I'm trying to implement a click system for MFD buttons even though is not so easy. Besides HUD and MFDs there isn't much to do in the VC, since the rest of the functions are too highly specific for each vessel, it's impossible to implement them in a general module.

so here's a quick shot of the VC of the DeltaGlider done with VesselBuilder:
{image}

It is with the SAL. It has to distinguish between hand holds and WIF attachments. Some attachments are the same position, but different directions.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #38
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 It is with the SAL. It has to distinguish between hand holds and WIF attachments. Some attachments are the same position, but different directions.
Ok, I will add it as a possible option: the user will be able to define a custom ID for that attachment and if the option is activated the attachment will be able to grapple only the correct children. I'll do it before the pre_release, but I will first finish the current round of checks.

I'm finishing the VC, from my plan, apart from various glitches to fix, the only thing missing would be light emitters, but I'm very unsure about them. It seems to me that are rarely used from addon developers and building a working interface for them is not easy at all. There is the risk to make it the most complicated section and the least used... I'll give another thought about it
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #39
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Quote:
  the only thing missing would be light emitters, but I'm very unsure about them. It seems to me that are rarely used from addon developers and building a working interface for them is not easy at all.
So will this have lights and beacons?
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #40
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattispilot View Post
 So will this have lights and beacons?
Any suggestions? is it something that developers use a lot or not?

I guess that since I did all the job up to now it would be silly not to include also them, even though it will be an headache...
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #41
4throck
Enthusiast !

Lights and beacons are a must for docking.
You need them for docking at night and distant visual identification
(also on the Moon with long nights you need lights)

No need for a complex interaction, just a on/off key will do.
So yes, they are used and needed !

Last edited by 4throck; 03-03-2019 at 07:34 PM.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #42
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 Lights and beacons are a must for docking. How do you dock at night ?
(also on the Moon with long nights you need lights)

So yes, they are used and needed !
Message well received! I ll find the way to do it!
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #43
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Beacons really just need a position, size, rate, and color. Lights just a position and direction
Old 03-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #44
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattispilot View Post
 Beacons really just need a position, size, rate, and color. Lights just a position and direction
Actually not...
Beacons have:
- shape
- position
- color
- size
- falloff
- period
- duration
- time offset
Lights can be Pointlight, Spotlight or Directional.
All of them have:
- Visibility type
- Position
- Direction
Point lights has also:
- range
- attenuation (3 parameters)
Spotlight on top has also:
- Umbra
- Penumbra
- Aperture
Directional light is totally undocumented so I won't add it.
And all of the lights can be of any color.....
Thanked by:
Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 AM   #45
gattispilot
Addon Developer

That is true. But you could limit some of those items on the beacons.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development