Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #31
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 So that way, you could set up any stage of assembly ???
sure, as long as you have enough patience to put all the meshes, the docks, the attachments etc at the right place
fred18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #32
pappy2
Orbinaut

Hello everyone,
compatible for Orbiter2016 "Vinka" developed Spacecraft4
it is available on the Pappy's Hangar of the French forum of "Dan's".
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/?topic=13656

The features are, among others:
UMmu & UCGO implementation
Support for OrbiterSound 4
LUA script interface

Spacecraft 4 is compatible with earlier versions and can now define more animations.

I do not know if this version will help in the realization of your project of "ISS A to Z, unique ship"?

Last edited by pappy2; 02-02-2019 at 08:41 PM.
pappy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #33
fred18
Addon Developer

So in the end this is going to be a Station Builder module with some special features dedicated to the ISS A to Z project.

In this view, I developed a small tool inside the module to see where coordinates are. Imagine you have to set an attachment point and you don't want to check and recheck in your mesh file, you just activate the tool and the red 3D cross appears, so ou can go and check (see the string below where the coordinates are reported). I suggest to watch the video in full screen/HD or the cross might not be visible in low quality/small size

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy2 View Post
 Hello everyone,
compatible for Orbiter2016 "Vinka" developed Spacecraft4
it is available on the Pappy's Hangar of the French forum of "Dan's".
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/?topic=13656

The features are, among others:
UMmu & UCGO implementation
Support for OrbiterSound 4
LUA script interface

Spacecraft 4 is compatible with earlier versions and can now define more animations.

I do not know if this version will help in the realization of your project of "ISS A to Z, unique ship"?
I knew about SC4, and I have a copy of it. It is a remarkable work actually! thanks!
Thanked by:
Old 02-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #34
Donamy
Beta Tester

Amazing !! I assume you will be able to change the rotation also ?
Donamy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #35
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Hi fred,

The video looks great. I wonder would you have a use for a mouse callback function returning:

- Clicked Vessel
- Clicked Mesh and Group idx
- Normal vector for the surface
- Coordinates for the surface
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #36
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 Hi fred,

The video looks great. I wonder would you have a use for a mouse callback function returning:

- Clicked Vessel
- Clicked Mesh and Group idx
- Normal vector for the surface
- Coordinates for the surface
Hi Jarmonik,

thanks I think I see where you're heading. For this particular project it doesn't seem necessary but I see it as a big thing for many ideas. The first is relevant to another project that I was developing: if you can get the click coordinates you can implement touch screens!

In the meantime for my tool I implemented rotations (green is direction, blue is rotation) and I made a small test with a big annotation on screen to see the result.

A few words on this tool: I tried in many, uncountable, ways to let the CameraMode API work but there was no way. So the system uses a dummy vessel and updates its status dynamically so it remains fixed relevant to the station. The station remains the focus vessel but the camera is attached to the dummy vessel. In order to prevent the user from messing up with the procedure, the dummy vessel keeps the camera attached to itself, so the only way to get rid of it is to exit the "tool mode" that means to delete the dummy vessel.
Thanked by:
Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #37
Donamy
Beta Tester

Where was this 16 years ago ?
Thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #38
fred18
Addon Developer

All right guys... I almost completed the mesh part of the module.

It will be called StationBuilder1, since it can be used not only for ISS AtoZ (which will have some dedicated special options) but for any station.

The video depicts the insim settings of the meshes of the station (just the first 4 of the ISS) and shows that everything can be done IN-SIM! It starts with a completely empty vessel and everything is set on the go. I used the coordinates that I had saved for the unity module and then I placed all the others. Note the use of the coordinates tool to keep the camera centered on the important stuff and the fact that meshes can be easily rotated and placed!

The module automatically saves a "safety" configuration file everytime the sim is closed (so if you forget to save you'll have your information stored!) and if you start to modify an existing configuration (so not from scratch as I was doing in the video) it makes immediately a backup so if you messup anything in the sim you can always revert to your old setup...

I will now proceed with the rest of the options. I have to say that this enviroment could be a really good starting point to create a Vessel Builder, even though animations and airfoils could be quite a challenge there...

Let me know your comments guys,
Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #39
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Looks good!! Now if an interface for all the arms could be done
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #40
Donamy
Beta Tester

Wow!!! I'm speechless.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #41
Wolf
Donator

Amazing job Fred, you are the man!
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #42
fred18
Addon Developer

Hi guys,
a small update from the module:
I completed also the dock control and implemented the controls of the "follow me" (as I like to call it) tool.

Remarks: dock definitions can be of course added and modified on the go. The flag "Show Docks" that you see in the window creates the green and blue dots that you see in the image. It is a visual representation of the dock: white dot is the docking point, green is the direction blue is the rotation.
The follow me tool has a "copy vectors" button, and everything around has the paste vectors button, so you can move the follow me tool in the point you wish to have a docking port, rotate it properly (which is quite easy) and then copy and paste the vectors for the dock definitions and that's it: you'll find your dock at the right place in just a couple of clicks, all within the sim.

I'll go on with attachments now, that is very very similar so it won't take too long.

I have to say that the idea of implementing this to the maximum adding also animations, thrusters etc is getting bigger in my mind... I don't want to loose the focus, so the station part that will allow to have the ISS AtoZ in one vessel will be the priority, but if i find the way to properly implement animations directly through this system it would be a huge improvement for the station part itself... let's see!
Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #43
Donamy
Beta Tester

I can think bigger.
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #44
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 All the experts: please don't jump at me already if you see any imperfection because this is just the first step...
(Comic Book Guy voice) That's the worst ISS ever. Almost as if Riker gets replaced by Jar Jar Binks on TNG.

Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #45
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 (Comic Book Guy voice) That's the worst ISS ever. Almost as if Riker gets replaced by Jar Jar Binks on TNG.

[Picard voice]: "Number one... you have the bridge"
[Jar Jar]: MIIIIsa have the briiiiidge
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development