Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #106
markp
Orbinaut

Been chasing a few bugs with the updated autopilots. Maybe I have packed so much decision making into the landers they have become conscious! They occasionally decide to divert during powered descent. Not sure why. I'll have to check through these so it'll be a little while before I can release them into the wild.

Here is the result of a recent test landing at Olympus base using the Deltaglider as the target vessel for the autopilot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LanderAndGlider.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	8872
markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #107
markp
Orbinaut

I have been testing the landing autopilots over the holidays at numerous sites on Mars. Seems to be working ok now. Also been trying out some launch scenarios from Earth and selecting a new landing site on Mars.

I have been using the Falcon XX launcher addon for launch tests
SpaceX launch vehicles and Dragon

I have been using the "News textures for Martian landmarks" addon for selecting a landing site (makes existing meshes look much nicer).
New Textures for Martian Landmarks. PART 1

New Textures for Martian Landmarks. PART 2

Name:	LauncherSpaceX.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	8964

Name:	NTR.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	8965

Name:	IsidisHighlands.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	8966

Name:	MeshMap2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	8969

The landing site shown in the third image down is Isidis Highlands. I've noted its location in the map with all the other locations of the meshes as well.

Last edited by markp; 01-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #108
Mattyv
Rocket Scientist in Training

In the second picture, what is that stage?
Mattyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #109
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

If he's using the Falcon XX, I don't know, the Falcon XX designs I've seen did not have a web Interstage, they use a solid fairing interstage like Apollo.
Capt_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #110
markp
Orbinaut

That's my attempt to launch an Nuclear Thermal Rocket stage to later dock with the landers and take them to Mars.

The real DRM1 however requires a launcher with a 240 mT to LEO capability. I'll make one for DRM1 eventually but in the mean time I'm trying other ways.
Thanked by:
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #111
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp View Post
 That's my attempt to launch an Nuclear Thermal Rocket stage to later dock with the landers and take them to Mars.

The real DRM1 however requires a launcher with a 240 mT to LEO capability. I'll make one for DRM1 eventually but in the mean time I'm trying other ways.
Is this weight a dry or wet weight? Will the launcher be multi-stage?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #112
Cras
Spring of Life!

my I suggest you avoid multistage if at all possible? Velcro is a good alternative.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #113
markp
Orbinaut

Hadn't thought of Velcro for this actually. That may work.
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #114
Cras
Spring of Life!

Velcro has the upper hand to multistage when it comes to that the core vessel exists on the launch pad, where in Multistage, the vessel does not exist until it is jettisoned from the launcher. This leads to some things that cannot be done with multistage.

Velcro's autopilot does work for the most part, all it requires really is a few parameters in the scenario file, and the launch heading can be changed in sim. But for a project this comprehensive, a lua autopilot may be better serving.

I find Velcro do be very easy to work with, so I always tend to gravitate to that for my own needs.
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #115
Donamy
Beta Tester

How would you get a launch vehicle to roll quicker with Velcro rockets ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #116
Cras
Spring of Life!

that is a problem with Velcro for sure. The autopilot really likes to wait on the roll and pitch.

Can use Universal Autopilots to guide the stack to a precise orbit. That lets you have a little more control over the initial time for those things, but it still doesn't lead to realistic values.

Rolls should be done almost immediately after clearning the tower, not several thousand feet up. One solution would be to implement a Lua autopilot. That way you have the benefits of Velcro, but the same precision in the launch profile as you get with Multistage and its guidance files.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #117
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
 that is a problem with Velcro for sure. The autopilot really likes to wait on the roll and pitch.

Can use Universal Autopilots to guide the stack to a precise orbit. That lets you have a little more control over the initial time for those things, but it still doesn't lead to realistic values.

Rolls should be done almost immediately after clearning the tower, not several thousand feet up. One solution would be to implement a Lua autopilot. That way you have the benefits of Velcro, but the same precision in the launch profile as you get with Multistage and its guidance files.
Love your tag line, saw it for the first time on Big Bang the other night.
Thanked by:
Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #118
Donamy
Beta Tester

Can Velcro rockets be used to have boosters assist in the hover position ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #119
markp
Orbinaut

Well I've downloaded Velcro Rockets. Launched the landers with the Nova MM S10E-1 quite nicely!

It means now a lander and NTR propulsion stage can be launched together (I think I will perhaps combine them into one vessel for launch).
Thanked by:
Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #120
Cras
Spring of Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Can Velcro rockets be used to have boosters assist in the hover position ?
I have not tried this, so I cannot be 100% certain, but I do believe this is possible. You do control how and where the boosters are attached. I am not sure if the booster command will register hover engines to start them burning, so you may have to tap the main engines to get them to start going, or just have them set to run on a countdown and use the velcro command to start the sequence (which is "o"), but then the autopilot may then try to steer the craft as well, so that is something to keep in mind.

My main focus with velcro rockets has been to get XR-2s into LEO from a vertical launch configuration. Haven't tried just boosters attached, but the thought did cross my mind as a way to get the XR-5 up into orbit.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_hensley View Post
 Love your tag line, saw it for the first time on Big Bang the other night.
Sheldon Cooper, for the win.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development