Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #91
markp
Orbinaut

Greenhouse is nearly finished. It's based on some artist impressions, mostly from the Case for Mars II Mission scenario. Textures are from photos I've taken from the nature over here in Finland. Just have to fill in some more of the boxes with something and write a dll for it perhaps. I'm thinking of adding some lights. Not sure yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	greenhouse2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	8726
markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #92
markp
Orbinaut

Managed to finish the mesh and textures for the greenhouse for now. Here's some pictures

Name:	outside_greenhouse.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	8752

Name:	inside_greenhouse.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	8753

Been doing a bit of reading up on Mars greenhouses and biospheres. It seems most ideas for Mars greenhouse use Mars native atmosphere but at a higher pressure maybe 10 times higher but not as high as on Earth as then a heavier stronger structure would be required. I guess a drill would be used to collect subsurface water ice and transfer it to the greenhouse.

I've also been reading up on biosphere experiments in the US and Russia for human habitation. One idea that interested me was the idea of using algae to generate oxygen. I'm wondering if that might be a back up if there is a problem with the oxygen in the habitats. Also I think a greenhouse on Mars would be an experiment in itself to see whether a biosphere can be maintained on another world for permanent human habitation in the future.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #93
cymrych
The Probe abides

Quote:
Also I think a greenhouse on Mars would be an experiment in itself to see whether a biosphere can be maintained on another world for permanent human habitation in the future.
Indeed, the ability to sustain a controlled biosphere for long duration habitation on another world is a major unknown for Mars planners. In theory, it ought to work just fine, but the application of the theory remains to be tested.

One clear issue is population size. (I'm talking greenhouse vegetal population size/diversity in particular, but the same observation could be made for human explorers as well.) The success of any ecosystem relies in part in numbers; the greater a species' numbers, the less susceptible it is as a whole to some tragedy or disaster. In a small greenhouse on Mars, where many of the variables affecting the sustainability of life remain unknown to some degree or other, it may well prove to be a fine balancing act by human explorers which determines the greenhouse's success or failure: a little too much nitrogen or not quite enough radiation protection and you doom your crops to decimation or extinction, for example. A little error in such a small controlled biosphere can have devastatingly huge consequences.

Only one way to find out however: Experimentation! We won't know until we try. Hope we get there in some fashion in my lifetime. (Other than only in Orbiter, of course!)

Loving the landers, btw! Nice job! I especially like the redesigned orientation with Z+ facing the horizon rather than straight up as in the earlier release.

Last edited by cymrych; 11-13-2011 at 06:13 AM.
cymrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #94
markp
Orbinaut

Thanks, cymrych. That's interesting about the vegetation population size/diversity. I had been kind of pondering over that issue.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #95
markp
Orbinaut

Have been modifying the aeroshells slightly and adding the RCS visuals. Also added parachute canisters into the nose. During entry the nose will be covered but then the cover will be jettisoned, just before the parachutes are released, to reveal the parachute storage canisters.

Also simple greenhouse dll has been generated.

Last edited by markp; 11-16-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #96
Mandella
Space Cultist

I'm really looking forward to this. I've been planning on doing a "realistic" Mars expedition for a while -- should be fun to fly this project when it is finalized.

Mandella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #97
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Hey markP,I have a suggestion.Check out this link, the addon shown here has green house's that actualy starts gradualy growing plants,after their activated. I think it would be really cool if you could some how implement that feature into your green house's for mars.
http://www.orbiterfrancophone.com/in...p=addons&id=18

Last edited by Interceptor; 11-16-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #98
markp
Orbinaut

Hi Mandella, that's great, hopefully the addon will give a good idea of what a real human Mars mission may be like. Although I expect it will be a bit different when it actually happens.

Interceptor, thanks, yes I was thinking of having growing vegetables (say a spherical mesh covered in a cabbage of lettuce texture that is animated to grow slowly) but I will leave that now and try to assemble a version 1.4 to put on OHM
Thanked by:
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #99
markp
Orbinaut

I kind of thought the greenhouse would be important for the crew's health and well being so I made some special effort with that. Also I like growing vegetables myself. Those vegetable textures are actually radishes I grew in our allotment (they grow really fast) and the water texture is from a nearby lake.
Thanked by:
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #100
Mattyv
Rocket Scientist in Training

Will the UMMU's be able to breathe inside the greenhouse, without their spacesuits? I took one ummu's suit off inside your old one without even thinking about this, with unfortunate results.
Mattyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #101
markp
Orbinaut

Most probably will add the breathable area to see what it is like. The pressure in the greenhouse (if it was real) would be about 10 times lower than on Earth but I think with a pressure suit it might be possible to breathe there.

Hope all your other UMMU's are ok
Thanked by:
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #102
markp
Orbinaut

So some small developments.

Light fitted to greenhouse (BrianJ's spotlight addon)

Name:	greenhousewithlight.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	8778

RCS working on lander aeroshell

Name:	RCSFiring.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	8779

Put the deorbit engines on the backplate. There are doors that open in the backplate when the engines need to be used.

Name:	backplatewithengine.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	8776

Last edited by markp; 11-23-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #103
markp
Orbinaut

Had a little problem on organising the breathing area for the greenhouse. I don't know how a breathing area can be programed into a dll so I have used a combination of a base, with a breathing area, and a dll based module (so in the future the greenhouse can have features added). The UMMU has to then unpack two boxes like shown in the pictures to build the greenhouse. It's probably more realistic approach because I don't think a large greenhouse could fit in one UCGO box!

Name:	GreenHouseExterior.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	8797

Name:	GreenHouseBox.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	8798

Name:	GreenHouseUnpacked.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	8799

Name:	InsideGreenHouse.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	8800

Name:	GreenHouseMeeting.jpg
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	8801
Thanked by:
Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #104
markp
Orbinaut

Added winds to the lander parachutes. Tests so far indicate about a 1 km deflection from the target. Requires a bit more fuel for the powered descent. However if a sounding rocket or balloon is sent up before a landing then you'll know what to expect and plan a better landing somehow ...

There is the option to switch the winds off. I may also add the ability to offset the coordinates of the target so the lander can adjust for the extra drag from the winds.

I have also added a basic reefing animation to the parachute. I understand this is used to keep parachutes partially open, during the initial deployment, to prevent too high forces acting on the canopy.

Name:	Reefed.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	8814

Name:	Opened.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	8815

Name:	Opened2.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	8816

So I will update the documentation and hopefully it'll all be ready in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #105
cymrych
The Probe abides

How awesome! Parachutes with snivel built into their opening!

cymrych is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development