Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
markp
Orbinaut

OK quick update. Capsule reentry working!

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Picture (6).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	7281

Name:	New Picture (7).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7282

Name:	New Picture (8).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	7283

Name:	New Picture (9).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	7284

Name:	New Picture (10).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	7285

Name:	New Picture (11).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7286
markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
markp
Orbinaut

Landers are now on Orbit Hanger Mods.

Probably be a few little things that I've missed. I'll see to them in the next week or so as they turn up. The frame rates suffer a bit when the camera is looking at the ships. Not sure what to do about that.

Last minute cargo item added was wishbone's surface fission reactor! Looking good!

I've got lots of ideas for another version of the landers etc but probably be a few months until that is ready. Hope the landers are useful for some trips to Mars!
Thanked by:
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
markp
Orbinaut

Been correcting some small errors with the add-on doc/scenarios. Also made a little update of the add-on with extra docking port and adapter added. This is so Wishbone's NTR core propulsion stage, from DRA 5.0, can be used as they look quite close to the stages used in Mars DRM 1.0! Haven't left Earth orbit yet but hopefully try a trip to Mars at the weekend. Some pictures taken of docking tests in Earth orbit.

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	7365

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	7366

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	7367
Old 05-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Wishbone
Clueless developer

Am really sorry about the colour of the stage ; the whole train looks like an angry bullterrier because of that. Hope I can learn texturing...
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
markp
Orbinaut

Interesting observation! It is going to Mars so I suppose it has to look a bit angry.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
markp
Orbinaut

Got UMMU working. At first glance the lander seemed rather huge. But I guess they are not really that big compared to the space shuttle and other things.

Name:	UMMU.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	7437

Name:	UMMU2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	7438
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #22
Wishbone
Clueless developer

The position of the airlock is suspect, shouldn't it be in the aeroshell's tail instead?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
markp
Orbinaut

Maybe but I'm thinking the habitat lander (stowed inside the aeroshell) has its airlock in this position. A connecting tunnel is then straight forward to install between the outside hatch and the habitat airlock. A connection with the aeroshell tail would have to navigate around the engines and landing gear of the lander.

I've put a docking port on the tail for connection to propulsive stages.
Thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
markp
Orbinaut

Just a little update. Now have UMMU compatible habitat lander, Mars Ascent Vehicle and pressurised rover. So in theory it is possible to bring some crew from Earth to Mars and back again. Also it is possible to transfer them across the surface of Mars in the rover.

Added a ladder to allow the crew to access the Mars Ascent Vehicle. It's very tall. Not sure in reality the crew could climb this safely without some kind of safety harness!

Name:	New Picture (7).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	7481

Name:	New Picture (4).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	7478

Name:	New Picture (5).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	7479

Name:	New Picture (6).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	7485

Last edited by markp; 05-29-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: editing attachments
Thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #25
Wishbone
Clueless developer

Strapping carabiners to the railing would be IMHO sufficient. A full harness would be used to move an injured crewmember.

EDIT: has the new version been uploaded? Sometimes people update the file but do not change the date at OHM, so it doesn't show in the most recent add-ons list...
Thanked by:
Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
markp
Orbinaut

Ah ok I didn't realise the date could be changed on OHM! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. A couple of weeks ago I uploaded a small modification with an update of the docking ports and some other things but I didn't edit the date.

No the UMMU version hasn't been uploaded yet. I'll probable upload the new version in a couple of days time once I'm sure it's working ok.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #27
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
 Strapping carabiners to the railing would be IMHO sufficient. A full harness would be used to move an injured crewmember.

EDIT: has the new version been uploaded? Sometimes people update the file but do not change the date at OHM, so it doesn't show in the most recent add-ons list...
Could you include a disposable staircase? Something that is part of the exterior, but is not required post acent and pressurization. Simply push a button and bam the stairway falls to the surface, and the acent stage is free of excess weight.
Capt_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #28
markp
Orbinaut

Hadn't thought of a staircase. That would make climbing easier and speed up things for the for the crew.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #29
Wishbone
Clueless developer

I kinda assumed there was a ladder when wrote about the carabiners, should have looked more attentively But the general idea still holds...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #30
markp
Orbinaut

Well I guess text and pictures are a poor substitute for face to face communications. It is a ladder in the pictures btw!

At the moment I am pondering some kind of drop down staircase like one might find on the side of a building as a fire escape. Then maybe a ladder for the final link to the capsule hatch. Carabiners would be required in any case to keep the crew secured. A ladder might be more practical in the end though due to mass considerations and also if the crew need to escape quickly, they could perhaps just slide down it.

For the time being I'll stick with the ladder as that is implemented at the moment. Before launch the MAV retracts the ladder then launches with the ladder attached and then jettisons it (using explosive bolts?) after it has cleared the lander structure.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development