Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #106
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNut View Post
 Now.. on the graphical side... you can set Blender to use CUDA so that the video card's GPU does the rendering calculations.... not your CPU, and the results are amazing. The image below was rendered with 2500 passes, and took 58.21 seconds to complete. Now, I didn't render using the CPU to compare, but it would have taken several hours to render using just the CPU.
How exactly did you go about setting that up?

I'd like to try some renders of the Shuttle and other models in my library.
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #107
Traveller
Donator

In the File/User Preferences/System tab, select "CUDA" as the Computing Device (lower left corner of window).

In the middle of the status bar, just to the left of the Blender logo, you will see "Blender Render". Click the triangle scroll buttons there and select "Cycles Render".

That will change the Scene properties (camera icon).

The "Device" tag should now appear in the "Render" tab. Select "GPU Compute" instead of "CPU".

There is now an "Integrator" tab, which contains the number of passes for both Render and Preview, as well as other values.

Lastly, in the 3D-view view object list now contains "Rendered", in addition to "Material", "Texture", "Solid", "Wireframe" and "Bound Box".
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #108
vlad32768
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlynkacg View Post
 How exactly did you go about setting that up?

I'd like to try some renders of the Shuttle and other models in my library.
1. User Preferences->System->Compute device->CUDA
2. Enable "Cycles" renderer

Your video card should be a modern NVIDIA; my GTX580 renders extremely fast. ATI cards and OpenCL don't work good yet. High amount of video memory is very important for complex scenes.
vlad32768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #109
SpaceNut
Orbinaut
Smile

Vlad beat me to it.... but now the textures.....

You're going to have to manually reassign the textures... to do so select an object, select the Materials button in the properties panel. Click the "use nodes" button. You'll see where the surface texture is defined... It'll be set to diffuse BSDF, leave it there, then below that, you'll see the color picker, click the color itself to adjust color... or, click the little dot to the right of the color and select "Image Texture". After you do that you'll see the "Open" button, click it, and navigate to Orbiter's texture folder and select the appropriate texture.

For glass, click the button labeled Diffuse BSDF and select glass....

For shiny surfaces like metals, select Glossy BSDF and set the gloss to 0.1 or 0.2, 0.0 is just TOO glossy.

For lighting, add a plane, set it's surface type to Emission and put it above the object and your DONE with lighting in most cases. Unlike Blender's standard renderer, Cycles calculates actual physics lighting with ambient occlusion, so you don't have to add a metric ton of lights of differing types, colors, intensities to "fake" a photo realistic scene.

Oh, and get this, in the 3D View, besides Bounding Box, Wireframe, Solid, Texture and Material... you now have Rendered !!!!

That's right, you can not only render images, but you can render in real time while in Object or Edit modes. Click the Render Button in the properties panel, open the Integrator, and you can set render and preview render number of passes. That's also where you enable CUDA support (in the Render Pane, after enabling it in the system menu...Compute Device in user preferences as Vlad said. Set to CUDA, make sure your card is selected.

YOU MUST HAVE A CUDA CAPABLE NVIDIA VIDEO CARD TO ENABLE CUDA SUPPORT !!!

Add ons can be viewed in a "whole new light" with cycles

Hope this helps... have fun!

EDIT:
If you don't have a CUDA capable card (here's the list... http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus ) then you can still render using cycles and your pokey CPU. You'll be looking at some pretty long rendering times, so to do a good render of 500 passes or more, you're gonna be looking at an overnighter. Setup it up before bed and hope it's done in the morning, and if you do have a CUDA card, you're looking at a few minutes at most for most renders. Even with a CUDA card, it has to also support the 2.0 or better shader model for it to work. It was working with my NVidia 9800 GT for a while, but at some point they jumped to the 2.0 shader model support and my 9800 only had 1.3, which is what actually prompted me to go out and (gulp) spend $330 bucks on a GTX 570, which, btw, I'm quite impressed and happy with.

Last edited by SpaceNut; 06-07-2012 at 10:00 PM.
SpaceNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #110
jrriss
Orbinaut

I get this:

Code:
Export execute
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\randall\Desktop\Win7.x64-47570\2.63\scripts\addons\io_orbiter_msh.py", line 776, in execute
    export_msh(self.filepath,self.convert_coords,self.apply_modifiers,self.delete_orphans)
  File "C:\Users\randall\Desktop\Win7.x64-47570\2.63\scripts\addons\io_orbiter_msh.py", line 612, in export_msh
    if not (mat.name in mtrls):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'

Blender
r47570
Attached Thumbnails
io_orbiter_m.png  
jrriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #111
vlad32768
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrriss View Post
 I get this:

Code:
\io_orbiter_msh.py", line 612, in export_msh
    if not (mat.name in mtrls):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
I suppose that there is an empty material slot in object's material slot list. Delete this slot or assign a material to it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #112
jrriss
Orbinaut

Yes! That fixed it. Thank You!
jrriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #113
SpaceNut
Orbinaut

Hey Vlad, in post #1, you state that for exporting, the script only exports the 1st material. Is this a limitation of Orbiter or do you plan to ultimately add multiple material out?

Thanx

Ok, I edited some meshes with notepad and saw there are multiple materials, so I guess the question is, is multiple material support coming?

Last edited by SpaceNut; 06-09-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #114
vlad32768
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNut View Post
 Hey Vlad, in post #1, you state that for exporting, the script only exports the 1st material. Is this a limitation of Orbiter or do you plan to ultimately add multiple material out?

Thanx

Ok, I edited some meshes with notepad and saw there are multiple materials, so I guess the question is, is multiple material support coming?
Yes, this is a limitation of Orbiter. One orbiter mesh group uses one and only one material, but different mesh groups can use different materials.

The script exports the 1st material of a Blender mesh object. The next mesh object can use a different material.

In order to support multiple materials in one Blender mesh object, the script has to separate a Blender mesh with multiple materials into multiple Orbiter mesh groups with one material each. I don't think that this is a good idea.

Last edited by vlad32768; 06-12-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #115
Ripley
Tutorial translator

I've just found this "Renderflow".

http://www.blendernation.com/2012/05...gpu-rendering/
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #116
SpaceNut
Orbinaut

Pretty cool Ripley, useful I guess if you don't have CUDA support. I can render that with my computer in the amount of time it took for him to upload/wait/download though...

I rendered the same blender file seen in the video (Credit Mike Pan) in 3 minutes 27 seconds to a total of 750 passes and it looks the same. Did it with 500 passes in 2 1/2. NVidia totally rocks. I have a GTX 570 with 480 CUDA cores that eats renders like that for lunch without the pesky register/upload/download, but it's certainly a godsend to anyone without CUDA support.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #117
MachJok
Orbinaut
Default R47940

Hey this addon looks great. I am having trouble installing it. Who though a drag/drop + activate would be difficult? I am using R47940 2.63.11 and I tried with the official 2.63 release. I put the .py into the addons folder but it would not find anything under "orbiter". Next I tried a manual install of the script using the "Install Addons" with the .py in another folder but that did not work either. For what ever reason the script will not show up.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

MachJok
MachJok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #118
SpaceNut
Orbinaut

I believe the python script goes into \scripts\addons\ and then in blender, select user preferences from the file menu and then click the add ons tab, then check the checkbox for the mesh importer/exporter. You should then see it from File...Import (or Export)... then Orbiter .Msh
Old 06-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #119
MachJok
Orbinaut

Thanks! I had followed the procedure but the last part has been unsuccessful because the selection for the plugin is not there. Import-Export: Orbiter and "orbiter" under the search don't return any results. There is nothing in the list that shows the orbiter plugin.
MachJok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #120
vlad32768
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachJok View Post
 Thanks! I had followed the procedure but the last part has been unsuccessful because the selection for the plugin is not there. Import-Export: Orbiter and "orbiter" under the search don't return any results. There is nothing in the list that shows the orbiter plugin.
That's strange. All works fine with R47980

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development