Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old
Addon Developer

Default New Baseland Version
by Topper 08-03-2017, 07:32 PM

Hello,

this is the first released alpha version for the new baseland autopilot.

The major changes are
- Terrain detection (You will not collide with terrain so fast I'll hope )

Please report if it's not working or if it's working or what ever

How to use:

- Fist make sure a target has been selected - Use Ok to select, use MFD Shift + NUM Keys to Navigate throug the menue (EG. Base, Brighton Beach -> 1), confirm with ok. You can also use NAV beacon or Lon / Lat mode.

- Of course, your orbit should pass the aimed landing point as close as possible. However, the autopilot will do some correction if it fits not 100% I reccomend to use BaseSyncMFD to check that. Also make sure, that you altitude over the base in BaseSyncMFD is close to the altitude of the base

- Make sure that the autopilot channels for Roll (Button RC), Pitch (PC), Yaw (YC) and engine (EC) are active -> lables on top of the MFD Screen are blinking->setpoint not reached or on->setpoint reached... They an be activated / deactivated seperatly to have some manual control if reqired.
- Activate Master (Button AP). The atitude control will be inactiva and will be activated if 50% engine thrust is required. Burn will automaticly start at a specific value (For hover and main engine in the test scenario at arround 90%).

- You can always use the "IGN" button to activate attitude control (pressing the button the first time) and also to ignite the burn earlier as required (pressing the button the second time)

I reccomend to set MFD Refresh Rate to a value < 0.2 or so in the Orbiter Launch Pad Parameters to have a good GUI (Blinking freqencies etc., Updating values, response time) but it's not mandatory I guess.

Changelog Update 21.8.2017:
- Saving and loading all necessary data to / from scenario file
- Better support for sub orbital flights
- There was at least one CTD bug which has been solved
- some scenarios added
- New buttons:
* "MRK" marks the current vessel coordinates as landing points (For next orbit ;-))
* "IGN" will ignite the hover engine immediately (Normaly this would be done automaticly if 95% of the available thrust is estimated required)
* "RST" will reset the MFD and autopilot (At this time this is mandatory after each landing but this will be solved soon)

I noticed that when you try to land on IO etc., you need to deactivate "Atmothpheric wind effects" because the autopilot can not handle this and there are some strange behaviours.

Changelog Update 25.8.2017:
- MFD resets now after landing
- MFD zoom level is now stored (But not saved)
- Heading and elevation is now displayed on the target page
- several bugs fixed
- Keys to navigate the cursor has been changed to wasd, because the num pad should be only for the RCS and if you enter numbers you had always to activate / deactivate num lock, so I think now it's better...

Please delete your old baseland scenarios (folder Scenarios\baseland). The new folder within this zip contains the challange/ small tutorial "Mission to Aristillus" and a new folder structure, including some screenshots etc. in html
I've added one "s" to much last time, so please delete the floder "Plugins" in your orbiter\modules if this folder contains only the alpha.dll. Thanks to Ripley who noticed that!
[Update]
Sorry if the scenarios did not appear in the launchpad in html but now they will do... If you have a folder "Base Land Autopilot" in the html folder you can delete it, the folder has to be in the "\Html \Scenarios" folder.

Changelog Update 10.9.2017:
- Indicator for manual control has been added (One circle offset corresponds to a 5deg offset from setpoint)
- Landscape scanning and displaying optimized, (hopefully no lags anymore)
- MFD Title added
- Zoom level is limited to resonable values
- Zoom level is shown
- regulator for ypr optimized
- Color for some lines changed: Max altitude: Red, Sea level: grey
- Landscapecolor changed to a bit darker so that the text can be read even if the text is over the landscape
- RCS will be reseted by pushing the Y / P / R buttons
- Vessel deletion and creation during runtime is supported: no ctd when deleting a vessel
- Radardata (Maximum Landcape elevation and distance) are written to scn file
- Folder and dll renamed to "BaseLandAutopilot"

Changelog Update 30.9.2017:
- regulator for ypr optimized

Changelog Update 27.1.2019:
- Programs for retrograte burn- and prograte burn added. The program can be selected on the target select page (Pressing "TGT") in the second line. At the moment, three programs can be selected: "400" for "hover engine only landing", "600" for main engine for braking + hover engine for touch down, "650" for retro engine for braking and hover engine for touch down. The both new programs were supported by the
classic version of "baseland"
and are now available in this complete reworked version (at the moment only available here in the forum). The program can only be switched when master mode of the autopilot is off. Note that some scenarios are not working with p650, because the distance is to the base is allready to short so the autopilot will not start to run.

Some videos are avaialable how it works (They don't show the current status):

Attached Files
File Type: zip BaseLandAutoPilot.zip (2.73 MB, 20 views)

Last edited by Topper; 01-27-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Views 3377 Comments 14
Total Comments 14

Comments

Old 08-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut

Hi Topper, thanks for this new version, it's really cool. I like the way you've projected the terrain data on the MFD screen.

Do you plan on supporting "direct" landings in this version?
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Topper
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatsoulis View Post
 Hi Topper, thanks for this new version, it's really cool. I like the way you've projected the terrain data on the MFD screen.

Do you plan on supporting "direct" landings in this version?
Hi, dgatsoulis
thank you for testing and for your feedback!
I'm not sure, what you mean with "direct" landings?
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
 Hi, dgatsoulis
thank you for testing and for your feedback!
I'm not sure, what you mean with "direct" landings?
Going directly for the base, without doing an orbit insertion burn. Like the one in this video:

About testing the current alpha.dll.
It has been great so far. Both scenarios work great and the ships land gently on any selected pad, avoiding the terrain. Everything looks good on my end.
Thanked by:
Old 08-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Topper
Addon Developer

At the moment that's not the intention, but maybe it's possible to implement such programs in the future.

However, if you pass the base in a "flyby", the autopilot should handle that. But if the angle of the "impact path" is to high, I think it will not work so far.

From which addon is that scenario?
And do you know if it is more fuel efficent than going into lunar orbit before?

Last edited by Topper; 08-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
dgatsoulis
Orbinaut

Quote:
 At the moment that's not the intention, but maybe it's possible to implement such programs in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to make the MFD. Having done so many manual landings in the past, it gets a bit boring. Baseland for Orbiter 2016 was something that was certainly missing!

If you do find the time to add direct landings that would be great, but even without them, this MFD is certainly a very useful tool to have.

Quote:
 From which addon is that scenario?
And do you now if it is more fuel efficent than going into lunar orbit before?
The scenario is from a challenge I had posted a few years back. Here is the link.

It's not more fuel efficient for normal lunar journeys (3 to 5 days duration).
For lunar journeys with 60 hours duration or less, it is slightly more fuel efficient.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Topper
Addon Developer

Does someone tested it with native graphic client? If so I recommend to use the D3D client because with native driver the autopilot is "oscillating" I don't know why and how to solve this...

BTW I noticed that the ravenstar on PAD 6 will disappear under the landing pad but with native Deltaglieder this will not happen... But I don't think that this is a big of the autopilot...
Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #8
Topper
Addon Developer

I uploaded a new version.
Thanked by:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
Topper
Addon Developer

Hello,
i posted an update again. (See first post).

Please delete you old baseland scenarios before (folder Scenarios\baseland).

The new folder comes with this zip contains the challange "Mission to Aristilus" and a new folder structure.

I've added one "s" to much last time, so please delete the floder "Plugins" in your orbiter\modules if this folder contains only the alpha.dll.

Make sure that you see the html scenario description.
Thanked by:
Old 09-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Hi, thanks that you undertake the challenge to make a new Baseland!

Just a minor wish: I am using the JSGME mod manager, which stores the mods in a separate folder, to easily sweep them in and out. It would be easier to identify the correct mod, if you could name the container folder 'Baseland', not 'Alpha'. Same for the dll itself.

I think the project has already a high degree of maturity, so it earns the proper name.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
 ...Just a minor wish: I am using the JSGME mod manager, which stores the mods in a separate folder...
You can rename your JSGME folders just as you like.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #12
Jeorbit
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 You can rename your JSGME folders just as you like.
Indeed. Mines are prefixed with BASE-xxx or MFD-xxx or STATION-xxx to find a specific addon more easily for activation / deactivation.

And congratulations Topper for this very nice addition! Impressive!
Jeorbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Topper
Addon Developer

Hi I've uploaded a new version and put the files into a folder.
Is that ok as it is now for the addon manager?
Don'T forget to delete the old alpha.dll in the module\plugin folder and activate the new BaseLandAutopilot.dll in the module tab in the launchpad.

Last edited by Topper; 09-10-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 09-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
Topper
Addon Developer

The last version will not run anymore so here is the current version
Old 01-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
Topper
Addon Developer

New version available for testing!
I have reworked the description here a bit because some points were out of date (First post)

Last edited by Topper; 01-27-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development