Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #166
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Not a bad idea at all. I was thinking of this - Abora-C tanker

300,000kg of prop. Paracone on one end, engine on the other and it can use the tanks dV to get to Mars.
First thing I noticed when I clicked on the link was "Orbiter Version: 031217"
Are you sure that this would have worked in 2010P1?

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-29-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #167
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
 300,000kg of prop. Paracone on one end, engine on the other and it can use the tanks dV to get to Mars.
How would we hold the paracone on, Duct tape?
Seriosly, are there attachment points on the paracone? the cone also cannot be deployed independent of the braking rocket (which doesn't fire until commanded, but it's still in the way of a clean connection).
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #168
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 How would we hold the paracone on, Duct tape?
Seriosly, are there attachment points on the paracone? the cone also cannot be deployed independent of the braking rocket (which doesn't fire until commanded, but it's still in the way of a clean connection).
Either attachment points or UCD. Probably UCD. How much fuel does the albatross hold?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #169
Woo482

The Albatross holds 25,000kg in the refuelling system tanks

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

The expendable tanker in the same pack holds 60,000kg, which might be a better choice if we was going to use one of the two, both tankers lack the propulsion to reach Mars on their own though

Last edited by Woo482; 12-29-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Woo482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #170
Chub777
Orbinaut

Yes, use UCD. I agree with Woo - don't use the Albatross. It's a spaceplane and you're just carrying a few tons of dead weight that wouldn't be needed. As to how they will get to Mars, can't you send one atop a Quasar with a booster stage (something along the lines of a better Fregat)?
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #171
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatsoulis View Post
 What's the window from Mars to Earth after 2018?
About 2 years, but if we leave two weeks after we arrive, we can still make it home in the same window. It's up to Gary as to when we leave.

Gary, still need insight into science requirements for the mission, as that will dictate Mars mission orbit...
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 AM   #172
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo482 View Post
 The Albatross holds 25,000kg in the refuelling system tanks

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

The expendable tanker in the same pack holds 60,000kg, which might be a better choice if we was going to use one of the two, both tankers lack the propulsion to reach Mars on their own though
Point. As for propulsion, a
Smerch
tug should be enough. That would easily fit in the bay of an XR5. I once put a pair of them in there for "integration testing" (fit checks). They have a lot of dV, and an integrated payload manager. The payload fairing (Buran T) would carry the disposable tug, since it's part of the Kulch suite of addons. The XR5 with 2 Smerch tugs, and a Tanker in a dorsal Buran T would be a heavy SOB, but should be able to make it to orbit. With only 1 Smerch, should be no sweat. Can't check right now, though.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

For those interested in helping determine the science goals for OFMM, we have a new thread here.
Arrowstar: what kind of mass can we bring back to Earth without adversely affecting the dV requirements? We have requests for a sample return.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #173
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Try to keep it under a couple hundred pounds (lets say 100 kg to keep it even) and we'll be fine. Will that be sufficient?
Thanked by:
Old 12-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #174
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 Arrowstar: what kind of mass can we bring back to Earth without adversely affecting the dV requirements? We have requests for a sample return.
Surely with a large ship like James cook in orbit this is pretty much a moot question? Or are you talking sample return BEFORE the human expedition leaves?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #175
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Quote:
 How much fuel does the albatross hold?
For just a second I heard John Cleese yelling "Albatross!"

Quote:
 Surely with a large ship like James cook in orbit this is pretty much a moot question?
I was't so much asking about the space available, more along the lines of fuel budget.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #176
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 I was't so much asking about the space available, more along the lines of fuel budget.
I think we'll be fine so long as the mass you want to bring back is negligible compared to the mass of the Cook. I don't want to see 50 tons of new mass on board before we leave Mars.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #177
garyw
O-F Administrator

There is a thought - We don't have to bring both XR2's home...... That would allow for extra samples, etc to be brought on board and will lighten the James Cook for the trip home.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #178
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 There is a thought - We don't have to bring both XR2's home...... That would allow for extra samples, etc to be brought on board and will lighten the James Cook for the trip home.
The second XR2 could also be used for local missions after the James Cook left, if you plan to keep a permanent mission on Mars.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #179
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 The second XR2 could also be used for local missions after the James Cook left, if you plan to keep a permanent mission on Mars.
I really don't like that idea. I feel like OFMM is more of a 'get to Mars, walk about, go home'. Leaving people behind feels untidy but might be a nice way to start OFMM-2 if someone wanted to take that on? Any thoughts?

As there has been no more dissent around the main missions list I am going to write up the first scenario this evening and post it.
Thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #180
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
 It was you who demanded that the james cook be used!!!! and so what about the rotating gravity wheel part? You even said that you didn't want to have any sort of mission failures so I'm confused as to why you insist on a gravity wheel?

And Mission OFMM-P1 was going to be posted on Tuesday but I'm confused as to where we are as it's all changing even though you said that the mission plan was fine.
I agree Gary.

Let's just stick with the plan we have. Damn
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM