Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:04 AM   #1
Astra
Orbinaut

Default Custom Planet Elevation Maps for Orbiter 2016?

Hello. i searched the forms but couldn't find anything on this topic specifically.

Is there a guide to converting cylindrical projection planet maps into orbiter2016s new 3D texture system? I have looked into orbiter's readme.txt and the Utils tileedit_README.txt but found nothing of this process. i know Space Engine has a utility program that can do this, maybe orbiter would have one too? maybe texpack.exe?

I have a lot of good elevation maps that would be amazing to have in Orbiter but i just don't know how to get them into it yet. any help would be nice thank you!
Astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
martins
Orbiter Founder

Utils\plsplit64.exe is probably what you are looking for. It takes a map in cylindrical projection and splits it into individual texture tiles at a given resolution level. You have to run plsplit64 repeatedly on resampled versions of the map to produce the complete set of resolution levels for the quadtree.

Then you use texpack to bundle the individual tiles into a compressed archive file.

There is some more detail in doc\PlanetTextures.pdf.
martins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:20 AM   #3
Astra
Orbinaut

doh! i wish i just looked at the doc folder...
that is what i was looking for though. thank you! = )
Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Astra
Orbinaut

i have found ways to convert colour cylindrical maps for orbiter to use as .dds tiles for planet textures. but i can not find anything in the /doc folder about converting cylindrical maps to elevation tiles .elv

i am probably completely missing it and its right in front of me as usual but i just cant find the answer.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
4throck
Enthusiast !

There no out of the box solution.
I wrote a javascript image splitter that will convert a grayscale elevation map into 259x259 .pngs. But I still need to move them into the appropriate folders and convert to 16bits. After that I need to run elv2png for each tile!

So no automated process, and because my solution is browser based, I can only go up to 4096x2048. On the same machine plsplit64.exe can go (at least) to 8192x4096.

Ideally plsplit64.exe should support splitting elevation maps, since elv2png is designed to handle smaller areas one tile at a time.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
Astra
Orbinaut

ok that explains it. thank you for the response and clarification. i will just have to wait i guess.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #7
Astra
Orbinaut

Have any improvements occurred in this area of texture creation for Orbiter? i still await the day when i can create addons with my hand painted Elevation maps for the moons of Uranus along with some other worlds. (stuff like http://fav.me/d9l070y ) im sorry to be asking again, i have just really been waiting a long time for this sort of thing. cheers.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development