Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #4816
Cougar
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 I have been able to reproduce some parts of the described problem. Sometimes a graphics and fonts in MFD screens is stretched very big. It's not very common and only seems to occurs with the release build. But so far there's been no flickering but different computers can easily produce different kind of symptoms.

I am trying to find the source of the problem and fix it.

Thank you very much for your response, jarmonik!
Iīm sorry for my late answer but i was really buisy the last days.
I just tested D3D9-client R3.6 with different standard scenarios.
Unfortunately i have the same results: In 3D-Cockpit-View big letters in the HUD that makes it unreadeable. In 2D-Cockpit-View flickering of the Monitor as long as the MFDs are turned on. And in the Outside-View everything is okay.

Sorry, i wish i had better news!

Best regards
Rick
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #4817
Donamy
Beta Tester

I have the same problem, but no always. Try selecting the map mfd, then the one you tried before. Sometimes it works.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #4818
Cougar
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 I have the same problem, but no always. Try selecting the map mfd, then the one you tried before. Sometimes it works.
Hello Donamy!

I tried what you suggested but unfortunetely it does not work for me.
But i realized that the "flickering" stops eigther if the MFDs are both switched to off or the MFDs are both in the "SEL" Page (where you can select the different MFD-Modules). The "flickering" starts again as soon as you select a MFD-Module on eigther of the two MFDs and remains till you switch the MFDs again to off or to the "SEL" page.

Best regards
Rick
Old 02-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #4819
jarmonik
Beta Tester

I have had very little success in reproducing the problem which makes it very hard to track down.

I had to hit "F8" about 100 times (in 3.5 build) to get one MFD to show a scaled up (large) content and the fault dissappeared after hitting "F8" once more. Is there something installed that would amplify the effect ? How does it work in a clean installation (Orbiter 2016 + D3D9) nothing else ?

If all optional effects from "Advanced" setup are disabled and Planetarium "F9" is also disabled, does the problem still occur ?

There is a fundamental problem in D3D9 that's very likely related to a major update in the sketchpad that came in 3.4 build.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #4820
Cougar
Orbinaut

Quote:
 I have had very little success in reproducing the problem which makes it very hard to track down.

I had to hit "F8" about 100 times (in 3.5 build) to get one MFD to show a scaled up (large) content and the fault dissappeared after hitting "F8" once more. Is there something installed that would amplify the effect ? How does it work in a clean installation (Orbiter 2016 + D3D9) nothing else ?

If all optional effects from "Advanced" setup are disabled and Planetarium "F9" is also disabled, does the problem still occur ?

There is a fundamental problem in D3D9 that's very likely related to a major update in the sketchpad that came in 3.4 build.
Hello jarmonik!
I have the same behaviour as described above with a clean Orbiter 2016 installation, no other modules installed, no add-ons installed except for the D3D9-Client, everything in the "advanced" D3D9-Setup disabled, planetarium not selected.
Maybe my PC turns out to be too old now.
If iīm the only one with that problem, donīt worry about me anymore. I will stick with the working R3.2 Client till i get a newer PC.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Rick
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #4821
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Here's a new build for debugging the MFD problem and some instructions. Extract the D3D9Client.dll from the zip into /Modules/Plugin/

From "Advanced" setup:
Disable: Shadows, Reflections, Custom cameras

Set "Debug level" to "3" <-- IMPORTANT (Reset back to "1" after getting the log)
Set v-sync on (to avoid high framerate)

Produce the "Fault"

If possible take a screen shot from the "Fault"

Exit simulation as soon as possible to avoid growing the log-file.

Zip the D3D9ClientLog.html found from /Modules/D3D9Client/ and post it here for analysis. (If the log reaches it's maximum allowed length, it will stop recording)
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9Client.zip (511.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #4822
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post
 O.K. found it myself (fixed with r1071)
Oh, that's a little embarrassing. Someone stayed up too long that night.
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #4823
Cougar
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Here's a new build for debugging the MFD problem and some instructions. Extract the D3D9Client.dll from the zip into /Modules/Plugin/

From "Advanced" setup:
Disable: Shadows, Reflections, Custom cameras

Set "Debug level" to "3" <-- IMPORTANT (Reset back to "1" after getting the log)
Set v-sync on (to avoid high framerate)

Produce the "Fault"

If possible take a screen shot from the "Fault"

Exit simulation as soon as possible to avoid growing the log-file.

Zip the D3D9ClientLog.html found from /Modules/D3D9Client/ and post it here for analysis. (If the log reaches it's maximum allowed length, it will stop recording)

Hello jarmonik!

I did as you requested! The problem is still there. Hope the attached files will help. The "flickering" can not be caught on a screenshot, but you can see that it is very bright and a split of a second later the screen turn darker and so on. In the 3D-Cockpit-View you can see the big letters in the HUD. No "flickering" though in 3D-Cockpit- and External-View.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (3).jpg   Screenshot (4).jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientLog.zip (83.0 KB, 4 views)
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #4824
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
 I did as you requested! The problem is still there.
Thanks about running the test. The over saturated white screen with twisted colors was not something I would have expected. Are you using ReShade by any change or ENB Series ?

We did upgrade the required directX runtime library (from Feb2010 to June2010) in some point after the 3.2 release. So, could you reinstall the runtimes to make sure nothing is wrong in there. Download is here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109

That should give you: directx_Jun2010_redist.exe about (95 MB) run it and find Setup.exe that will perform the actual installation of the runtimes.

Make sure you have the latest drivers from the card manufacturer too.

BTW, Do you have "Intel graphics" available in addition to "AMD" ? If, yes, then could you try it too.

The LOG file didn't reveal anything unusual. oapiClearSurface() caused an unknown error without known reason and looks like it crashed short after that.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #4825
Cougar
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Thanks about running the test. The over saturated white screen with twisted colors was not something I would have expected. Are you using ReShade by any change or ENB Series ?

We did upgrade the required directX runtime library (from Feb2010 to June2010) in some point after the 3.2 release. So, could you reinstall the runtimes to make sure nothing is wrong in there. Download is here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109

That should give you: directx_Jun2010_redist.exe about (95 MB) run it and find Setup.exe that will perform the actual installation of the runtimes.

Make sure you have the latest drivers from the card manufacturer too.

BTW, Do you have "Intel graphics" available in addition to "AMD" ? If, yes, then could you try it too.

The LOG file didn't reveal anything unusual. oapiClearSurface() caused an unknown error without known reason and looks like it crashed short after that.
Hello jarmonik!

- I installed the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe as you requested.
- Yes, i have the "ENB Series for orbiter D3D9 - version 1.00" by SolarLiner from January 16, 2014 installed.
- I only have the AMD graphics driver not the Intel one. Actually my Laptop is pretty old by now (about 8 years). My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470. Since a couple of years they havenīt released any new drivers fpr my card. If i install the latest AMD-Driver it messes my whole system up and i have to restore it afterwards. I tried it...
- I guess my laptop is simply too old for the new d3d9-client features.
- I decided to stay with the (for me) latest working D3D9-client R3.2 till i get a new laptop.

Thank you very, very much for your help!!! Donīt worry about my problem anymore and donīt waste your precious time about getting my old system back to run the latest D3D9 client... instead go on with your superb valuable work and i promise to rejoin you in a short time with a new gaming notebook.

Best regards
Rick
Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #4826
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
 ...Yes, i have the "ENB Series for orbiter D3D9 - version 1.00" by SolarLiner from January 16, 2014 installed...
What happens if you disable/uninstall it?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #4827
SolarLiner
It's necessary, TARS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Edwards View Post
 Hiya Gents,

I am writing this post as a potential bug report for the newest version of the D3D9 client for Orbiter 2016. I am not sure if this has been posted about yet, but this is a brand new installation of Orbiter 2016 and the D3D9 Client version R3.4.

(...)

Samuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
 I believe that this is a result of LensFlare post processing option and is a known issue, so the easy fix is to simply switch to another option or turn off post processing altogether in your D3D9 Advanced Setup menu.
This is because the Lens Flare shader is simply unaware that there is something blocking the Sun - IIRC back when I last contributed to the project I had an experimental raycasting technique that would block (or recolor, when the sun passes through a glass material) the lens flare. The problem was that it was very unoptimized and thus hurt performance a lot. Also transparent textures weren't recognized as transparent and would block sunlight all the same.

All of this because 3 years ago when I was last active here, I didn't have a lot of C++ experience (not that I have much more now, but at least I can use it for fun and profit!)

Great to see how far the project has come too. Were those shadows I saw on some screenshots?
SolarLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #4828
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarLiner View Post
 Great to see how far the project has come too. Were those shadows I saw on some screenshots?
Yes, there are shadows everywhere!
Be sure to push the keyboard away or you will drool all over it....
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #4829
SolarLiner
It's necessary, TARS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Yes, there are shadows everywhere!
Be sure to push the keyboard away or you will drool all over it....
Yep, that convinced me to switch back to my Windows partition, and install TortoiseSVN again ...
SolarLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #4830
skyeboy
Orbinaut

I'm new here. I've really been enjoying learning some basic orbital mechanics.

I'm using Orbiter 2016 (though it seems most of the addons were designed for 2010), with D3D9ClientR3.6-forOrbiter2016(r1069), and have a couple problems I can't seem to figure out.

When using full screen mode (not "true full screen") it seems that the resolution I pick is ignored. I have a 4K monitor, but the 2D cockpit panels are really tiny (don't fill up the horizontal space) unless i reduce the resolution to 1080 in window'd mode (which then only makes a window fill a 1/4 of my monitor's screen) or reduce the resolution in "true full screen".

In "true full screen" though, my anti-aliasing option gets greyed out.

I've tried using my nVidia control panel to add anti-aliasing; but it doesn't seem to have any effect. It's quite possible I'm picking the wrong .exe file? I've tried both "orbiter.exe" and "orbiter_ng.exe" but see no effect. Is there a file in the d3d9 module I need to pick instead for the control panel to over-ride?

Thanks for anyone's time in answering this newbie question...
skyeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient