Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #16
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

I get what you're asking, what I mean is I very much don't want to put vessel-specific hacks like that into the code, sorry.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:07 AM   #17
BEEP
Addon Developer

Can't run it on Windows XP :-(.

Gives a now familiar error "Can't find entry point in InitializeCriticalSectionEx in KERNEL32.dll".
BEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:54 AM   #18
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

XRSound makes some system calls that are only present in Windows Vista or newer (as stated at the top of the XRSound download page); it will not run on Windows XP (sorry).
Thanked by:
Old 02-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #19
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Can't run it on Windows XP :-(.
It could probably be made to run with some dll wrapping...
I used to do that a lot back on windows 2000, as I skipped all following OSes right up to windows 7. Anybody holding on to an outdated system should either be well familiar with the practice, should start learning it, or upgrade their system...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
LeePalmer
Orbinaut
Default DLL wrapping since 2000!

Please explain! Beg Beg.
Keep it simple please.
LeePalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #21
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quick q: Could XRSound be made so that the RCS thruster ignition sound is played each time a thruster is ignited? Right now it ignores the second thruster if another thruster is already firing.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #22
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePalmer View Post
 Please explain! Beg Beg.
Keep it simple please.
In short, the practice of writing code to create a bridge between two incompatible interfaces. https://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=2129.0
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #23
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Quick q: Could XRSound be made so that the RCS thruster ignition sound is played each time a thruster is ignited? Right now it ignores the second thruster if another thruster is already firing.
From previous experiments with that, you don't really hear any difference if two identical sounds are playing both at max volume. However, what I could do is update XRSound to always play an RCS attack sound via separate sound slots whenever a thruster fires, even if an RCS thruster (or RCS thrusters) are already firing (i.e., playing RCS sustain). I'll look into this for the upcoming patch release -- assuming it doesn't sound too noisy, it will be in the patch.
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #24
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 From previous experiments with that, you don't really hear any difference if two identical sounds are playing both at max volume. However, what I could do is update XRSound to always play an RCS attack sound via separate sound slots whenever a thruster fires, even if an RCS thruster (or RCS thrusters) are already firing (i.e., playing RCS sustain). I'll look into this for the upcoming patch release -- assuming it doesn't sound too noisy, it will be in the patch.
The "attack" sound is what I'm referring to. The sustain sound sound actually be pretty silent as you can't hear it. The sound you hear when the thruster(s) are initially ignited are really just the initial split second of unstable combustion when the propellants are actually ignited (for hypergolic propellants this is when the propellants actually come in contact with each other in the combustion chamber). The STS PRCS jets were very noisy and intense, they caused the entire vehicle to shutter when they were fired. That's why the orbiter were equipped with a set of low thrust jets called the vernier jets which were barely a tenth of of thrust of the big primary jets (24 lbf vs 870 lbf).

Last edited by DaveS; 03-03-2018 at 10:01 PM.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #25
Loru

Just dedicate 6 separate channels/slots for each RCS axis/ pos/neg direction.
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #26
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

OK, that makes sense. What I'll do is add a few slots dedicated just to the default RCS attack sounds so XRSound can then play overlapping RCS attack sounds (plus overlapping with RCS sustain sound, of course).
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #27
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
In short, the practice of writing code to create a bridge between two incompatible interfaces.
Or just getting the bridge from somebody who already wrote it. For windows 2000 there used to be a lot of dlls around wrapping various features that were only supported by XP and ME, I would be surprised if the same wasn't true for XP.

Quote:
Keep it simple please.
Most simple I can break it down to:
1) Use error message to figure out what dll caused the issue.
2) Google for dll wrappers that contain those calls and map them to adequate XP calls.
3) Download dlls and drop into working directory of offending application.
4) repeat for all the other errors that will certainly pop up as soon as the first is resolved.
It's tedious, but that's usually the price you have to pay for holding on to an old system.

Last edited by jedidia; 03-03-2018 at 11:14 PM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #28
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 OK, that makes sense. What I'll do is add a few slots dedicated just to the default RCS attack sounds so XRSound can then play overlapping RCS attack sounds.
Does it mean that the continous-single RCS press (let's say I press Numpad 6 one time, and keep it down) will make one attack (thump) sound only?
Now, such a continous keypress sounds like many single keypresses.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:10 AM   #29
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

I don't follow -- when I press and hold an RCS key, I hear one RCS attack ("thump"), followed by one continuous, unbroken RCS thrust sound on loop. If you're hearing continual RCS attack sounds ("thumps") just from holding down a single RCS key, please post a scenario reproducing that and I'll look into it.

If you meant there is a tiny audible "click" each time the RCS sustain sound loops, I tested that just now and I do hear that if I crank the volume up, so I just re-edited the RCS sustain sound to be more seamless on its looping point -- this will be in the upcoming patch release.
Thanked by:
Old 03-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #30
Ripley
Tutorial translator

The scenario is the default DG-XR1 ISS approach.
I don't remember the exact name, but that was it, and I was pressing numpad 6, keeping it down.

The sound was one RCS attack, followed by one short continuous RCS thrust sound, maybe one second duration. Then this whole loop (thump-rcs) started over again.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons

Tags
ommu, xr1, xr2, xr5, xrsound