Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
Noonan
Orbinaut
Default Some celestial bodies aren't rendered when using D3D9 client in Orbiter 2016

Hi everyone.

I'm coming back to Orbiter after some time. I've updated to the new version (last time I played it was Orbiter 2010), but I'm experiencing a curious problem with some celestial bodies add-ons when I launch Orbiter with Orbiter_ng.exe using the D3D9 client: the "asteroid-shaped" ones - those which use meshes - aren't rendered.

The add-ons are
Asteroid Pack
Haumea
(both do not work at all), and
Pluto and Moons
(Pluto and Charon work well, but Nix and Hydra do not - that's why I think the problem lies on the meshes somewhat). All of those were tested by some users with Orbiter 2016 and work well according to them, so I wonder what the problem might be?

I've added everything to Sol.cfg and the planets/asteroids actually show up in the camera menu, so they do exist in-game, I can select them as targets, I can rotate the view around where they're supposed to be... But there's just no graphics of them. The entities are there, but invisible.

Celestial bodies that use meshes and come with vanilla Orbiter - Mars' moons, Vesta - work without any problem.

Also, when I load Orbiter from Orbiter.exe directly, without the external graphics clients, everything works fine, everything shows up, so it must be some configuration of the D3D9 client, I guess.

Any ideas?

(Sorry if any of that is unclear, English is not my first language, but I've tried my best.)

Last edited by Noonan; 04-15-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
kuddel
Donator

Maybe same issue I had?
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...&postcount=555
The problem I had was that the SVN checkout of Orbiter (BETA in my case) does not contain all the Textures.
I'll take a look at this once I'm back from office.
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
BrianJ
thing

Hi,
default Orbiter graphics require moon/asteroid meshes to have a 1m mean radius (its multiplied by the radius parameter in the moon/asteroid .cfg). D3D9 graphics doesn't do the same thing, so the mesh doesn't get rendered. Could be the problem.
Cheers,
Brian
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Noonan
Orbinaut

kuddel, it's a different issue. I have all the files, and the problem only happens with add-ons. Vanilla Orbiter textures and meshes are ok.

BrianJ, so there's no solution? On reddit I was suggested to alter the MaxPatchResolution parameter in the cfg files from 0 to 14 or 16, but it didn't work. I've also tried commenting out the line and messing with the visualization parameters, copying and pasting some lines from Vesta.cfg, changing the values, without success.

The only change I've noticed is that when I alter the MaxPatchResolution parameter, the object "appears" as a black shadow (probably a sphere, but I'm not sure since I can't see it), i.e., when rotating the view, the Sun and other stars disappear and then reappear on the other side of where the asteroid should be.

I guess I'll have to do without the external client or without asteroids.

Last edited by Noonan; 04-15-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: New info on tests
Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
BrianJ
thing

Hi,
Code:
MaxPatchResolution = 0
means use a mesh.

With default Orbiter2016 graphics, if you use a higher MaxPatchResolution value you get a sphere. I'm not sure what D3D9 graphics client does.

An idea I may have tried but can't remember if it worked:
To use asteroid meshes with D3D9, you could use ShipEdit.exe (in Orbiter/Orbitersdk/utils folder) to scale up the mesh by the "Size" parameter in the asteroid's .cfg file. (You may need to reinstate the Texture entry at the end of the mesh file afterwards, ShipEdit removes it).
Back up any mesh files you intend to modify before you start, just in case.

Cheers,
Brian
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Noonan
Orbinaut

Thanks for the help, BrianJ. I may try your suggestion over the weekend - don't know how difficult that would be, I have little experience with meshes and all that. But I'll try and report the results then.

Until then, I'll do without asteroids.

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
 Hi everyone.
I'm coming back to Orbiter after some time. I've updated to the new version (last time I played it was Orbiter 2010), but I'm experiencing a curious problem with some celestial bodies add-ons when I launch Orbiter with Orbiter_ng.exe using the D3D9 client: the "asteroid-shaped" ones - those which use meshes - aren't rendered.

This problem should be fixed from the next build of the client. Haumea is working now. Didn't test the rest. New release is still pending...may take a while.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help