Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Looking forward to this, Piper. I've thought about installing btp, but I think I'll hold off and wait for your tool instead.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
 Probably not, since the whole point of doing it this way is to find the best trajectory without doing any additional burns.
If someone does come up with a slightly off-course trajectory, couldn't they just put their state vectors into your program and calculate the best way to correct the trajectory? (more likely, they'd need to put in the state vectors they WILL be in at the time of the burn, unless you're program can setup a 'future burn')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Looking forward to this, Piper. I've thought about installing btp, but I think I'll hold off and wait for your tool instead.
It's hardly an installation. As long as you have Java, you just click a link, wait a few seconds, and the applet opens. It doesn't really install very much to your computer.
Quick_Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_Nick View Post
 (more likely, they'd need to put in the state vectors they WILL be in at the time of the burn, unless you're program can setup a 'future burn')
No, Piper's program takes input as elements, not state vectors. In a two body newtonian system, elements are constant with time. Of course, the solar system is a multi-body relativistic system, but elements are still laregly constant over human timescales. (Orbiter is not relativistic, but I assume that the ephemeris data for Mercury does include relativistic precession. Still, the correction is small on short timescales).
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #19
Piper
Orbiting Space Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 No, Piper's program takes input as elements, not state vectors. In a two body newtonian system, elements are constant with time. Of course, the solar system is a multi-body relativistic system, but elements are still laregly constant over human timescales. (Orbiter is not relativistic, but I assume that the ephemeris data for Mercury does include relativistic precession. Still, the correction is small on short timescales).
Ya, what he said. lol.

Since you can put in your own custom elements, you could theoretically figure an optimal correction burn (and time of mcc), but doing two separate burns completely defeats the purpose of the program, and that is to calculate the best trajectory that doesn't require any additional burns.

As for accuracy, I'll be incorporating VSOP87 (which I believe is what Orbiter uses) so it should be theoretically accurate within about 1 arc second over the period from:

2000 BC to 6000 AD for the planets Mercury to Mars.
1 BC to 4000 AD for Jupiter and Saturn.
4000 BC to 8000 AD for Uranus and Neptune.

It won't account for relativistic effects for the trajectory, but neither does Orbiter so that won't be a problem.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #20
Andy44

It's very simple to do course corrections with TransX anyway, that's never been difficult. It's building the overall plan that's a bit harder.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #21
Zachstar
Donator

Now THIS! Is a badly needed tool that will have me wondering how I traveled from LEO without.

Slingshots would be awesome!
Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #22
Piper
Orbiting Space Addict

Here's a little updated preview. I've added in the ability for the program to find "peak-points" which will find the most optimal trajectories so you don't have to click around on the screen to find them (although you still can). I've also put in the option for how you want to graph it (either by flight time, or arrival date).

Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #23
EliNaut
Orbinaut

Now if only we had a way (do we? o_o)
of exporting the data from your program into TransX in orbiter...?
Maybe, export the data in a text format which you could place into some sort of configuration file in Orbiter's directory that TransX could read from when it starts up...?
EliNaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:13 AM   #24
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNaut View Post
 Now if only we had a way (do we? o_o)
of exporting the data from your program into TransX in orbiter...?
Maybe, export the data in a text format which you could place into some sort of configuration file in Orbiter's directory that TransX could read from when it starts up...?
IIRC, TransX can write/read to/from scenario files.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #25
tblaxland
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_Nick View Post
 IIRC, TransX can write/read to/from scenario files.
It can, so the Pork-chop Plot Generator would need to produce a block of text that looks like a TransX scenario save. Past it into your scenario file and voila!
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #26
n72.75
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblaxland View Post
 It can, so the Pork-chop Plot Generator would need to produce a block of text that looks like a TransX scenario save. Past it into your scenario file and voila!
As easy as pie, or in this case pork.

The pork chop plot has been one thing that has always been missiog from my interplanitery flights.

Thanks Piper.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #27
Andy44

Editing the scenario file is potentially troublesome. If you've already got two blocks of MFD parameter text, it has to choose one and replace it. Plus every scenario file is different, so it would need some fancy logic to pick it's way throught he text and not overwrite the wrong thing. There would have to be some sort of file backup to protect against bugs.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #28
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
 Editing the scenario file is potentially troublesome. If you've already got two blocks of MFD parameter text, it has to choose one and replace it. Plus every scenario file is different, so it would need some fancy logic to pick it's way throught he text and not overwrite the wrong thing. There would have to be some sort of file backup to protect against bugs.
tblaxland's suggestion of copy+pasting a block of scn code sounds good.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #29
tblaxland
Webmaster

Quote:
I agree. What I was suggesting is that the generator just produce the text so it could be manually copied into the scenario file using Notepad or similar. The dialog that produces the text could decorated with an appropriate "use at risk of death", or similar, warning notice
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #30
EliNaut
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblaxland View Post
 I agree. What I was suggesting is that the generator just produce the text so it could be manually copied into the scenario file using Notepad or similar. The dialog that produces the text could decorated with an appropriate "use at risk of death", or similar, warning notice
Yes thats what I was thinking of.
Hopefully this will really open up TransX for me - I'm more of an IMFD person for several reasons. Don't get me wrong though, they're both amazing tools.

-----Post Added-----

Quote:
  There would have to be some sort of file backup to protect against bugs.

Maybe, instead of overwriting, it could create a whole new scenario. Then have like an auto-open after its done so that way you can check it for errors. Then you could make a nice little scenarios folder with all your plans in it.

Cute. Efficient. Juicy.

This whole thing is really cool, I always was quite interested in that AstroJava one (How wonderful that it doesn't do moons, eh?). Thing is, I'm not always internet accessible so it doesn't help when orbiting on the go. Plus I don't believe it has the peak point finder, which is probably the most useful thing there, as far as features go.
EliNaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development