Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
pappy2
Orbinaut

Hello everyone,
Thanks for this EXTRAORDINARY addon
Thank you guys

The IDA module already exists
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...ocking+Adapter

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
 FWIW, I released a scenario package a few weeks ago that brings the ISS pretty close to its current config as of July, 2018.
I too
pulled out a mission pack

https://www.orbithangar.com/search_q...x=0&submit.y=0

There are all the explanations and the Addon to have an updated ISS for 2017
Thomas PESQUET Expédition 50/51

Sincerely
pappy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #17
BrianJ
thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacman View Post
 I was just saying it will not dock with Ida that is on Donamys a-z.
Right, think I'm with you :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy2 View Post
If it is this one(thanks pappy2!), then it should work ok. I just gave it a try with IDA docked to my regular ISS and the Crew Dragon. IDA docking port is not the same rotation as the ISS docking port though, so Dragon must be rotated accordingly.

Cheers,
BrianJ
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #18
Donamy
Beta Tester

No, the IDA's docking port for Dragon needs to be changed in the vessels folder. Not the Dragon's docking rotation. I believe the IDA was originally used for docking the Soyuz, by the author.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #19
francisdrake
Addon Developer

On the view outside:
Quote:
Of course :-) Any preference between any of those three options?
Thanks for considering this!

Hmm, good question.
For the ease of implementation, I'd simple render the meshes only in external and VC cockpit mode, leaving the glass cockpit view clear of meshes.
Code:
SetMeshVisibilityMode (AddMesh (your_Mesh, &your_ofs), MESHVIS_EXTERNAL | MESHVIS_VC);
This is simple and the user can easily switch back and forth with the [F8] key.

In addition an extra viewpoint for the [N] toggle would be cool, e.g. a 'docking port cam' looking forward, or located sideways just outside the hatch to look around.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
pappy2
Orbinaut

Hello Brian and Donamy,

Thank you for your super Addon, here are some pictures of the landing of the capsule !!

But concerning the recovery of the DRAGON crew, do not you think that it is rather the US NAVY with a special boat and helicopters, as for Apollo?

Last edited by pappy2; 08-04-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
BrianJ
thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 No, the IDA's docking port for Dragon needs to be changed in the vessels folder. Not the Dragon's docking rotation. I believe the IDA was originally used for docking the Soyuz, by the author.
Hi Don, apologies for my ambiguous reply! I mean simply bank the Dragon over to match the docking port orientation. No need for changing any docking port parameters. Visually it looks like a good fit for IDA as it is.

Of course, if you think the IDA docking port orientation should be changed, go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
 For the ease of implementation, I'd simple render the meshes only in external and VC cockpit mode, leaving the glass cockpit view clear of meshes.
Code:
SetMeshVisibilityMode (AddMesh (your_Mesh, &your_ofs), MESHVIS_EXTERNAL | MESHVIS_VC);
This is simple and the user can easily switch back and forth with the [F8] key.

In addition an extra viewpoint for the [N] toggle would be cool, e.g. a 'docking port cam' looking forward, or located sideways just outside the hatch to look around.
OK, I can try that method and see if works without impacting anything else.

Wish we could have an "External Camera MFD" to show an external viewpoint! But I can put another external viewpoint on the [N] toggle menu, pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy2 View Post
  But concerning the recovery of the DRAGON crew, do not you think that it is rather the US NAVY with a special boat and helicopters, as for Apollo?
Hi pappy2,
great pics as always! Yes, I think they might have a more elaborate recovery operation for the crew. I await some pics/info :-)

Cheers,
Brian
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #22
Donamy
Beta Tester

Perhaps a view of the docking target, like the one the soyuz uses. I have a similar view I used for the Shenzhou 9.

Also, would it be too much of a problem, to put a slight rocking motion after splashdown ?
Old 08-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #23
jacquesmomo
Addon Developer

Vraiment prodigieux !!! in french...

jacquesmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #24
BrianJ
thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesmomo View Post
 Vraiment prodigieux !!!
Merci, Jacques :-)

Quote:
 Perhaps a view of the docking target, like the one the soyuz uses. I have a similar view I used for the Shenzhou 9.
Could you give me an idea of how the view on the Shenzou works?

I don't see targets on the ISS, but I do see two points on IDA that look like grapple targets. I could certainly make an external view point to align with one or other of them(quite close together anyway). Or is something further involved?

Quote:
  Also, would it be too much of a problem, to put a slight rocking motion after splashdown ?
I know francisdrake's Orion has a cool "bobbing" motion at splashdown - "rocking" is slightly different but might still work - I'll give it a try :-)

Cheers,
BrianJ
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #25
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
 I don't see targets on the ISS, but I do see two points on IDA that look like grapple targets. I could certainly make an external view point to align with one or other of them(quite close together anyway). Or is something further involved?
The IDA's use the same targets as the shuttle crews did which is on the hatch of the PMA's. This graphic from the STS-129 Rendezvous checklist explains the target: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kud4a7vwi...ARGET.jpg?dl=0

Photo of the centerline camera docking target of PMA-2 can be seen in this photo: https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery.../s110e5071.jpg

Everything you need to know about the International Docking System Standard: http://www.internationaldockingstand...n_E_TAGGED.pdf
The IDSS is what the the IDA's conform to.

Last edited by DaveS; 08-04-2018 at 08:23 PM.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #26
Donamy
Beta Tester

Here is a screen shot of the PVT target on the IDA. I suspect there will be a camera that will focus on it.
Attached Thumbnails
IDA_PVTtarget.jpg  
Old 08-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #27
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Quote:
The 'bobbing' of the Orion is achieved by soft touchdown points' spring stiffness, and very little damping. Also the touchdown points have slightly different z-values to induce some kind of 'chaotic' movement.

Below is my example of the Orion. The first 3 points are for the bottom, the other 3 for the top end of the capsule.
Code:
static const DWORD ntdvtx_geardown = 6;
static TOUCHDOWNVTX tdvtx_geardown[ntdvtx_geardown] = {
	{_V( 0,-3.6, -1.2), 9e4, 1e2, 3.0, 0.2},
	{_V(-3, 2, -1.1), 9e4, 1e2, 3.0, 0.2},
	{_V( 3, 2, -1.1), 9e4, 1e2, 3.0, 0.2},
	{_V( 0,-5,  3),   8e4, 1e2, 3.0},
	{_V(-5, 4,  3),   8e4, 1e2, 3.0},
	{_V( 5, 4,  3),   8e4, 1e2, 3.0}
};
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #28
Jeremyxxx
Orbinaut

I Love the Dragon V2! I can't wait for the spacecraft's maiden flight in November!
Jeremyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #29
pappy2
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Here is a screen shot of the PVT target on the IDA. I suspect there will be a camera that will focus on it.
Hello friends,
do not forget the cameras that were installed during the US EVA 51

"...During the spacewalk on juin 14, ARNOLD and FEUSTEL will install a pair of high-definition media and cameras on the Harmony module that will help commercial crews align with the international docking adapter of the party. before Harmony..."

Last edited by pappy2; 08-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #30
BrianJ
thing

Thanks DaveS and Don for the info re:docking targets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 The IDA's use the same targets as the shuttle crews did which is on the hatch of the PMA's.
Which means the vessel should have the same orientation whether docking with IDA or direct to PMA?
This is not the case with the IDA add-on as it is.

Well, easy enough to make an external viewpoint that aligns with PVT target on IDA, but if IDA docking port is changed to "correct" orientation (same as PMA) then the viewpoint will not be correct. What to do? Think the simplest thing is to go with the IDA configuration as it is.

@francisdrake - thank you, thank you! I wondered how you did the bobbing thing :-) Ingenious, I'm surprised it doesn't cause problems with "Landed" status or getting flung into space - will give it a try.

Cheers,
Brian

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments