Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 AM   #886
martins
Orbiter Founder

Not sure if this is commonly known, but I just realised that the Feynman Lectures are available online for free:

http://feynmanlectures.info/

Highly recommended for anyone interested in physics, even if the structure may no longer conform to current curriculae.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #887
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 "Windows Presentation Framework, Version 4.5" ...
That makes me picture you sitting in an arm chair with an enourmous book in your lap... reminds me of the bad old times when a significant part of my book shelf was taken up by a 1000+ page book on the Windows api (win 2000) and "the complete visual basic 6 reference"... which was some 4 or 5 volumes long!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #888
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codz View Post
 I just started Blood Red Snow, a memoir by a Wehrmacht soldier who fought at Stalingrad. The story of how he wrote the memoir is interesting in and of itself; he actually ended up writing about his experiences on any scrap of paper he could find, and stored them in the lining of his winter coat!
In the same-ish vein, I'm reading Tigers In The Mud by Otto Carius, a Tiger commander on the Eastern Front. It's an amazing book, you should definitely read it.
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #889
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 That makes me picture you sitting in an arm chair with an enourmous book in your lap... reminds me of the bad old times when a significant part of my book shelf was taken up by a 1000+ page book on the Windows api (win 2000) and "the complete visual basic 6 reference"... which was some 4 or 5 volumes long!
Actually it is not that far from reality. I have a desperate need for a second large bookshelf, but I need some days off work for building this.

The quickly organized set of books on the topic:

http://www.amazon.de/Visual-2012-Spr...&keywords=c%23

http://www.amazon.de/Windows-Present...1&keywords=WPF

http://www.amazon.de/Professionell-e...&keywords=c%23

All together: 3 large books, 1402 + 1244 + 1142 = 3788 pages

But I don't read them in the arm chair... I lay on my couch and have the stack of books on the floor.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:20 AM   #890
mode1bravo
El Hombre Nuclear

Highways Into Space by Glynn Lunney

Finally got around to reading The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. I should have read that years ago.
mode1bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 AM   #891
statickid
CatDog from Deimos

VALIS, by PK Dick.

A very strange book indeed
statickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #892
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Any bookshelf I build gets filled immediately, and the the wife and I realize 1) we have a lot of boos and 2) I need to build another bookshelf.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #893
statickid
CatDog from Deimos

I read 90% e-reader... so the space my bookshelf takes up is a few hundred MB
Old 03-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #894
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Our bookshelves takes up a few hundred pounds.

I dig the e-readers (various formats). Wife and kid both have Kindle Fires, I have an Nexus 7 tablet with the Kindle reader app. But there is just something about the tactile feel of paper, particularly with a 100 year old edition of Odyssey.

When I used to do research, I thought it much easier to have 6-7 books open and yellow stickyed than to have so many pages of IE open (cutting and pasting). Easier to cite sources in print too. Question for any students; Have they yet developed any standard for citing an internet source?

I feel about books nearly like I feel about my firearms. (but that's another thread )
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #895
statickid
CatDog from Deimos

@PhantomCruiser

Well you may appreciate that my kindle's registered device name is

Soulless Text Displaying Rectangle

no kidding
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #896
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 Question for any students; Have they yet developed any standard for citing an internet source?
From my Uni's Referencing Handbook:
  • Author/Editor('s) surname, a comma, followed by their initials with a full stop after each initial, or corporate author
  • Year of publication in round brackets
  • Title (and subtitle if applicable) in italics, followed by a full stop
  • In square brackets put online
  • Place of publication (if known) followed by a colon
  • Publisher (if known) followed by a full stop
  • Available from, followed by the web address
  • In square brackets put Accessed and the date you accessed the website, followed by a full stop.
Yes I have tried to use this. No it does not work as well as they think it does.
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #897
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

That there is way too complicated.
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #898
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

It looks a bit more complicated written out like that than it is. For example taking this story plucked off BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31799405
  • Author/Editor('s) surname, a comma, followed by their initials with a full stop after each initial, or corporate author : BBC (This story doesn't have an author listed)
  • Year of publication in round brackets : (2015)
  • Title (and subtitle if applicable) in italics, followed by a full stop : HSBC accused of incompetence by MPs in tax scandal.
  • In square brackets put online : [online]
  • Place of publication (if known) followed by a colon : London :
  • Publisher (if known) followed by a full stop : BBC.
  • Available from, followed by the web address : Available from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31799405
  • In square brackets put Accessed and the date you accessed the website, followed by a full stop. : [Accessed: 9 March 2015].

Putting all that together gives the Inline Citation as:
(BBC 2015)
And the full Citation as:
BBC (2015) HSBC accused of incompetence by MPs in tax scandal. [online] London: BBC.
Available from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31799405 [Accessed: 9 March 2015].
Although I agree it's still cumbersome and time consuming to build. It also gets a bit murky once you leave online news paper land, which is why all the (if known)s are in there.

DISCLAIMER: This is Harvard Referencing, University of Lincoln edition. This may not be exactly the same at all universities. I have no idea. Tread carefully.
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #899
Galactic Penguin SST
Geek Penguin in GTO

After an unusually long drought of no book reading for me, what better book are there to restart my fiction reading than with a classic Agatha Christie novel? Specifically I'm reading The Mystery of the Blue Train.
Galactic Penguin SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #900
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangofett287 View Post
 DISCLAIMER: This is Harvard Referencing, University of Lincoln edition. This may not be exactly the same at all universities. I have no idea. Tread carefully.
The recommendation in German scientific writing literature is similar, so you are likely right on it.

Important is: If possible, use a static link to a specific revision of the website.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge