Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Default Making Movies

Not sure whether people are interested in that kind of thing, but since we also have threads discussing music and books, I'll share this anyway because for me it's terribly exciting.

I'm now involved in producing a full-fledged Fantasy movie - seems a few years of GLSL coding have accidentially given me a good education in video processing and filtering, so the biggest issue with learning proper bluescreen capture was that the camera was too smart and took the blue background as grey illuminated by bluish neon light and corrected it away - after we've changed to a green screen, everything worked better.

It's really quite some experience to get to see all the nuts and bolts of how movies are made, or to compare the actual set with the final post-processed cut of the scene and to realize how little of the material that is shot is actually used. And, well, often shooting in winter involves plenty of shivering and knee-deep snow...

Anyway - since the project page is now online, here's two teaser still images showing what we can do:

The location - the valley of Gleann an Phéine:

Clíodhna, the main character, casting a banishing spell:

More details on the project page of Clíodhna - the witch of Gleann an Phéine.
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Col_Klonk
Orbinaut

Green has a more linear range than other key colours, making it easier for editing.

The key-screen colour used all depends on what you're going to insert with when editing.

You can get DaVinci editor suite (Ver 12.0 IIRC) for free if you're feeling excited, but it is limited in it's accepted video input formats.
It's mainly geared for the high-end film cameras, from what I can see, but there are some 'cumbersome' video format converters around on the net.

Last edited by Col_Klonk; 02-17-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Col_Klonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Notebook
Donator

Nice project, hope it works well for you.

Had a slight input with "Chroma-Key" as we called it(BBC called it CSO, colour separation overlay). used to play in titles to studio from telecine. Was a bit of a fiddle as the machines used to drift during the day, and the keying would change. Went away when they could do it in editing.
We had a box called Ultimatte
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/ultimatte
Wow, still going. We must have had version 1! Was operated by camera set-up, studio device then, not post-production.
Used a lot on the Kenny Everett show, and some Benny Hill. Clever machine.
Probably the most use by Thames:
http://www.arts-tv.org.uk/memorabili...-du-Christ.pdf

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Quote:
Green has a more linear range than other key colours, making it easier for editing.
I'm not sure I'm following... The way my bluescreen tool works, the background color needs to be sufficiently dissimilar in the selected color space from the foreground image which I want to keep (I can key on RGB as well as HSV for the distance) - usually HSV works better because we always have trouble controlling the background illumination, which leads to RGB variations across the sheet.

(With the budget we have, we're talking a bedsheet draped over a doorframe and lots of creativity, not a studio... the horse was actually 'blue'-screened in front of a snow-covered hill...).

Quote:
You can get DaVinci editor suite (Ver 12.0 IIRC) for free if you're feeling excited,
Heh - I'm the Linux guy, remember? For the time being the tool of choice is pitivi - which, apart from a disturbing tendency to crash or hang, seems to do a decent job. It might have the advantage that I can add my own effect filters as soon as I figure out where they're encoded - after all, it's just fragment shaders ran on texture buffers, I know how to do these...
Old 02-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
Thorsten
Orbinaut

And we're online with a first teaser - please enjoy!

Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Enjo
Mostly harmless

I always like to watch stuff of real scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson or Richard Dawkins, who are true to their values and promote real science and never black magick.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Implying that because I happen to like Fantasy, I'm not a real scientist?

I know Neil face to face from a dinner conversation - he seems to be a bit more tolerant than you

(in case this was intended as a joke, it was really poorly explained...)

Edit: I've never read Richard Dawkins' scientific papers, but at least his popular science I find very wanting - to the point that I've actually bothered to compose a critical view of 'The God Delusion' from a scientific POV - in essence I argue if he'd apply the same standards of reasoning he applies to religion to himself, he'd fail just as well. So I would not see him as an example of a true scientist, there seems to be too much ideology mixed in for my taste.

But to each his own.

Last edited by Thorsten; 02-28-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
 Implying that because I happen to like Fantasy, I'm not a real scientist?
Not that you like black magic, but because you promote black magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
 I know Neil face to face from a dinner conversation - he seems to be a bit more tolerant than you
There are three explanations of this:
1) He doesn't really know you
2) He has to play nice because he's a popular public person
3) You were sucking up to him because he's larger than you
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
Loru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
Are you serious?
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

What just happened? This feels more like a youtube comment section than OF all of a sudden

Last edited by jedidia; 03-03-2018 at 08:42 PM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
Loru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 What just happened? This feels more like a youtube comment section than OF all of a sudden
Let's calmly wait for response. Let's not make it any worse worse by... guessing.
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Quote:
Hm, does the concept of fiction mean anything to you? It means it's basically made up - an author doesn't have to endorse the things he writes about - Steven King isn't urging all of us to become psychopaths either.

Also, I have to nit-pick that there's no black magic appearing - what's depicted is nature magic.

Quote:
There are three explanations of this:
1) He doesn't really know you
2) He has to play nice because he's a popular public person
3) You were sucking up to him because he's larger than you
Yeah, or he's just a nice guy who enjoys talking to a fellow scientist and doesn't confuse doing science with enjoying fiction - who knows?
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #13
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Life in movie production:

* getting three kids into medieval costumes (no rubber bands or elastic, all have to be tied...) - 10 minutes
* wrapping a foot in cloth (no socks allowed!) and then put it into a medieval shoe - 1 minute per foot
* deciding it's too cold outside and rigging cloaks and coats for the kids - 15 minutes
* driving three kids and a dog to the set, getting everyone out of jackets and to the site - 8 minutes
* getting everyone to goof around while shooting a few clips - 5 minutes
* getting everyone back into the car and driving back home - 5 minutes
* undressing everyone and getting hot chocolate ready - 10 minutes

=> final edited clip used in the movie - 3 seconds
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #14
Notebook
Donator

They used to estimate a 100 to 1 shooting ratio for film. Guess digital is much better...

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
getting three kids into medieval costumes (no rubber bands or elastic, all have to be tied...) - 10 minutes
Wow. I need longer than that just to get one kid into normal everyday clothes...

Last edited by jedidia; 03-13-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: fixed quotation
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge