Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #106
orbekler
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 My music teacher at school was deeply into experimental electronic music. (And a bit crazy - genius and insanity had been really close in this one), resulting in having quite some nice toys there, all connected with MIDI on a sequencer and a Atari ST. Which was quite a nice aspect if you own an Atari ST yourself and know how to program it.

Before switching to electric guitar after my time in the army, I used to play keyboards and piano, also attended musical school there for some years. With a strong preference for rock tracks, but I also remember that I knew how to play the theme music of "Das Boot". Also I had seen some of the Yamaha stuff there during the nineties.
About me, after some 10 year of total inactivity, I started again to study, mostly classical, but I was lately introduced to proogressive rock, so I studied the intro from Genesis Firth of fifth, and I'm currently studying ELP Tarkus part 1, TDF (TOO DAMN FAST ).
However, I like so much electronic music, being Jarre one of my first listening, that's why I'm so interested in modern musical instrument evolution.

Last edited by orbekler; 07-02-2015 at 08:24 AM.
orbekler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #107
Notebook
Donator

To Orbekler, and thread in general

If I forgot to say, the synth is a ETI 4600. It was a project in an Australian electronics magazine of the same name. Maplin. a UK electronics chain, took it up and started making kits and parts available for it.

Its not been switched on for about 20 years, but it did all work...I'm going to pick it up this week-end and start re-furbishing it. Probably all the electrolytics will have "dried-out", and I'll need to be careful putting power on it. If they have dried low-resistance or short that can damage other components.
In the best tradition of "Sod's Law", the most expensive chip will sacrifice itself to save the fuse!

Its a modular construction with a bus-bar power supply, so if I take it slowly and carefully, I shouldn't have too much destruction...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psa2c2bc7f.jpg
That's the power-supply, bolted to the back panel. I'll start there, get it working, and move on to the smallest(and cheapest) pcb. Probably one of the 2-input mixers.

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #108
orbekler
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 To Orbekler, and thread in general

If I forgot to say, the synth is a ETI 4600. It was a project in an Australian electronics magazine of the same name. Maplin. a UK electronics chain, took it up and started making kits and parts available for it.

Its not been switched on for about 20 years, but it did all work...I'm going to pick it up this week-end and start re-furbishing it. Probably all the electrolytics will have "dried-out", and I'll need to be careful putting power on it. If they have dried low-resistance or short that can damage other components.
In the best tradition of "Sod's Law", the most expensive chip will sacrifice itself to save the fuse!

Its a modular construction with a bus-bar power supply, so if I take it slowly and carefully, I shouldn't have too much destruction...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psa2c2bc7f.jpg
That's the power-supply, bolted to the back panel. I'll start there, get it working, and move on to the smallest(and cheapest) pcb. Probably one of the 2-input mixers.

N.
It reminds me of an accident happened in a live concert of ELP, the modular moog of Emerson was flooded by a storm. Of course when he tried to power it up the moog didn't work. He opened the rear cabinets, exposed it to the sun, and after few hours, it was working again.
Thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #109
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post

N.
I don't know who "Sod" is, but he's right. Must be related to Murphy.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #110
orbekler
Orbinaut

Here some of my remaining musical equipment:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8q7lal...1_&_mc-202.JPG

http://www.mediafire.com/view/mk1gq4tmnn0367d/sy99.jpg

I tried to add them as pictures, but they don't show, so I put just the link.

Last edited by orbekler; 07-03-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 09-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #111
Notebook
Donator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34313005

Quote:
Vintage tech goes under the hammer
Quote:
An Apple 1 motherboard, a 79-year-old TV and the only surviving processor of the last supercomputer designed by Seymour Cray are being auctioned in New York.

The 1936 Baird television set may not work and delivers a huge electrical charge of 5000 volts.

But it could still fetch between $20,000 (£13,000) and $30,000, according to auctioneer Bonhams.

The Apple 1 has a starting price of $300,000.
Thanked by:
Old 09-25-2015, 12:19 AM   #112
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
 I remember there was a peculiar telewriter machine for getting the flight weather reports - it had a scroll of paper, and a mechanical stylus that wrote letters and numbers on the paper. I believe it was actually transcribing someone's handwriting from another location - it wasn't dot matrix or printed text, the stylus actually was writing. They used the old METAR format at I was proud that I could actually decipher what the weather report meant.
Found an old picture of a telewriter sending station. I recall the receiving stations were a smaller unit with just the paper roll and printing stylus. This model looks to be older, but this is the right idea. The one I saw in base operations was probably made in the 60's or 70's, had a goldenrod colored case, the paper was laid with less incline, and the printing stylus was visible.

http://www.atchistory.org/History/da...Telewriter.htm

It was really cool watching it in action. If you attended a sťance and a pen jumped up and started writing on a piece of paper without a visible agent, that was the impression I got when I watched it in action. Spooky action at a distance.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 09-25-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #113
Andy44

Charles Babbage's mechanical calculator

Thanked by:
Old 10-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #114
Notebook
Donator

Amazing, his best freind, but some time earlier is being celebrated at the mo:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34505896

N.
Thanked by:
Old 10-25-2015, 12:52 AM   #115
Andy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
 Speaking of synths and shepard tones, I once spent ages trying to do a shepard tone based on clavia's Nord Modular G2 demo software. (Allows you to set up oscillators, filters, etc. - worth a play by the way.)

Never got it to sound quite convincing - I could still hear the notes start at the beginning of the range, and fade out at the end. Oh well!
About those shepard tones, Vi Hart comes through:

Thanked by:
Old 10-27-2015, 03:46 AM   #116
Andy44

More about mechanical computers. A US Navy training film about fire control computers from the 1950s. This is really cool, showing the basic principles of how mechanical computers work:

Old 11-05-2015, 03:10 AM   #117
Andy44

Ah, the old Soundblaster cards! Little did I know that Yamaha actually built keyboards around the same chip in the 80s:

Thanked by:
Old 11-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #118
Andy44

Any of you German guys ever seen one of these? Anyone else?

I never heard of this before, but it's really cool retro tech: a tape player, but the tape isn't magnetic, it's actually grooved like a vinyl record and played with a needle stylus that runs along the capstan. This thing is so cool!

One standard size cartridge held an hour of music, and the large cartridge in the second vid holds a staggering 4 hours, and this is 1950s tech! 7 minutes into the second vid he plays the device directly into his computer, and the sound quality is amazing.

Last edited by Andy44; 11-14-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #119
Ravenous
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 I never heard of this before, but it's really cool retro tech: a tape player, but the tape isn't magnetic, it's actually grooved like a vinyl record and played with a needle stylus that runs along the capstan. This thing is so cool!
That's really interesting! I saw something like this being used for voice recording in a movie about the war ("Downfall") - one of the German military officers was pre-recording a message onto a fairly thick ribbon that obviously wasn't magnetic tape. I had no idea how it worked until I saw your post!
Ravenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags
retro, technology