Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #76
C3PO
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
 So, "Horizons" isn't a DLC for the game, but a separate game on the same servers?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/
Elite Dangerous isn't listed as 'Early access' on Steam anymore.

So if I understand this correctly: If you bought the game early you are stuck in the same universe with players that have the advantages of the new content, unless you buy the game again?

Please tell me that Frontier didn't screw its early access backers this badly.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #77
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
 Please tell me that Frontier didn't screw its early access backers this badly.
They did. You apparently get -25% off discount for the Horizons if you owned the earlier game, but in the end it's still more than what the newcomers pay who only need to buy the Horizons to get the "complete" version.

But worry not, there will be another season expansion and people who buy Horizons now (and even a few weeks before another expansion's release) will have to buy the whole game again with the Horizons included instead of only another DLC for it, too.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 01:05 AM   #78
C3PO
Donator

I don't have a Dx11 compatible graphics card, so I'm safe for now.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #79
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
 So, "Horizons" isn't a DLC for the game, but a separate game on the same servers?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/
Elite on steam is a mess. I redownloaded it the other day to try out powerplay so I downloaded it from Steam which gave me the game and the launcher except that both were so out of date the first thing that the launcher wanted to do was update itself which then updated the game.

Oh and Elite: Dangerous is still incredibly boring. Powerplay doesn't offer much more than moving more numbers from one place to another.

I'll get horizons when it's about 1.99 on a sale but for the moment Elite: Dangerously Dull can wait.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #80
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Must be some hell of a DLC for that price...
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #81
Proximus
Orbinaut

I must admit, even in its half built buggy state, Star Citizen seems to offer more.

I really couldn't get into Elite Dangerous, got boring very quickly for me.
Proximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #82
garyw
O-F Administrator

Something I noticed, when I fired up Elite the other day, I decided to side with the Empire so off I went to empire systems. Since then, in Open Play I have not yet seen a single real player. Just NPC's.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #83
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Something I noticed, when I fired up Elite the other day, I decided to side with the Empire so off I went to empire systems. Since then, in Open Play I have not yet seem a single real player. Just NPC's.
Why that? Does Empire have bad ships? The standard uniform of your PC is a bunny costume then?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #84
garyw
O-F Administrator

if I could create an avatar then he would be a giant pink bunny!
Thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #85
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
It's a bit complicated... It is NOT common DLC, that is correct.
It isn't quite a new game either. Generally it is marketed and sold as a different product, but with full backwards compatibility, i.e. Elite:Dangerous and Elite:Horizons share the same servers and universe.
Content that cannot be gated off without breaking that compatibility is granted to elite:dangerous owners for free (It's downloading the update on my machine as I write), which for example includes all new ships, and if I'm not mistaken also the new planet visuals (you can't go landing on them, but they should still look a lot prettier from orbit).

People that had a certain level at kickstarter backing are getting it for free, and will be getting all future expnisons for free too.
Owners of elite:dangerous can currently buy Horizons on a 25% discount while it is in early access. I don't know if a similar offer wil be extended after that.

Furthermore, you're not buying Horizons as is. You're buying the next year of updates for the game, which seems to include some kind of crafting and customisation system, Multi-crew ships (two people can fly the same ship) and, can you believe it, Avatar customisation. Pink bunnies ftw!

It is a bit weird, but as far as business models go, I think it's not the worst. You're rewarding people that backed you graciously in the beginning, you're delivering a solid amount of content at no cost at all, and you're taking most money from people who can't wait. I'm sure there'll be periods this year when you can get the whole deal at reasonable DLC prices. And having just bought Elite:Dangerous for 15 bucks and getting a massive update at no additional cost, I really can't complain

Quote:
Why that? Does Empire have bad ships? The standard uniform of your PC is a bunny costume then?
Really noit sure there... As I understand it, the empire was quite the hype at the beginning. At least in the old games they had the best ships, and while the loss of the classy design is regretable, specs-wise they still seem to be very good. They even have their own version of the Eagle. But I've not yet been around civilisation enough, spent most the time some distance away from it so far...

Quote:
I must admit, even in its half built buggy state, Star Citizen seems to offer more.

I really couldn't get into Elite Dangerous, got boring very quickly for me.
It is ironic that this debate is older than most think
In the olden days, there was the same debate about Frontier:First Encounters and WIng Commander Privateer (though many people forget that that game was by Erin Roberts, not Chris). The concepts still mostly seem the same: One offers a vast, seamless (more or less), physically credible gameworld and (by now) landable planets, but all with very little context and inferior graphics. The other offers a more constrained and sectioned game world with more context, a story and better graphics. It's really a question of what's more important to you.

Last edited by jedidia; 12-16-2015 at 05:23 PM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #86
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Something I noticed, when I fired up Elite the other day, I decided to side with the Empire so off I went to empire systems. Since then, in Open Play I have not yet seen a single real player. Just NPC's.
I stopped playing online after the fourth or fifth time I arrived at a station to deliver my space-load only to discover that all of the docking points were occupied. What an awful design for an MMO.

I'm really confused as to why they need to sell this as a standalone game instead of a DLC for the existing one. It's just sticking it to their existing customers, while not helping attract any new ones.

Last edited by Hielor; 12-16-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #87
Izack
Non sequitur

I got a new ship:

Many hours of space-trucking lie ahead if I want to buy a decent long-range explorer.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #88
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

A "Star Wars VII style" trailer for Elite Dangerous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zwpmmC1DM

Another hilarious trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZeO-4F45WM

BONUS: An excellent tribute to the good old Frontier - Elite II (with Strauss):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWRGz4KSrg
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:31 AM   #89
Izack
Non sequitur

This shot lined up perfectly in front of my eyes:

Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #90
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Someone of you is registered at the Elite Dangerous / Frontier forum?
I'm trying to register: what the hell I must type in the "Company Name" box?
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge