Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #136
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

OK, sounds like a good idea Urwumpe.
Athena: looks like we're there for the long haul... mojoey say "*Return to Earth not guaranteed. You have been warned!" Plan accordingly!

I think that growing crops would be a good idea, since that would reduce the need for prepackaged food. How we'd do that, I have no idea.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #137
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

As far as a landing site, I can only think of 2 off the top of my head that already exist as add-ons (unless we use ORULEX, which will rule out a usable base) and those are "Vallis Dao" in the southern hemisphere (which has a GORGEOUS landing and walk around area), and "Gayle Crater" in the nothern hemisphere. The only problem with using Gayle is that the vast majority of the mesh is well above ground, there is only a VERY SMALL usuable area. However, if that site is chosen, one of the goals could be to locate the Curiosity rover and either enshrine it, repair it, or return it (or parts of it) to Earth. There is one other already made landscape mesh "hourglass crater" which is near Vallis Dao, but there is a base in the add-on (which we don't want), and it takes too much tweeking just to get it to work at all. So, unless someone can make a good terrain mesh for our landing area, those are my votes.

Actually, one of my original suggestions for the OFMM was to find and either enshrine, or return parts of, the first Viking lander...

Last edited by Bloodworth; 03-26-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #138
Athena
Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 I think that growing crops would be a good idea, since that would reduce the need for prepackaged food. How we'd do that, I have no idea.
Maybe potted plants packed up in UCGO boxes?

Around 3:52, you'll get what i mean.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 AM   #139
mojoey
JapanAXA!

I have no intention of making the required addon list longer than the trip to mars, BUT, if we need additional UCGO cargoes, I would be OK with that. As for any terrain generators, the jury is still out on them.
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #140
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoey View Post
 I have no intention of making the required addon list longer than the trip to mars, BUT, if we need additional UCGO cargoes, I would be OK with that. As for any terrain generators, the jury is still out on them.
I was just thinking of what to actually do there and where we would land. It is a fairly simple matter to deorbit and land safely on a plain sphere whereever Isaac Newton deems you should touch down at. It is more challenging (and more scenically interesting) to pick a specific area and to try and hit it.
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #141
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

@ Athena: seen the movie. I get the reference. I'm more concerned about how we'll pressurize and keep the plants warm. The one issue with UCGO-spawned clear items is that the UMMU inside is not visible. We may need to drag in a mesh maker for this, and it could turn out a usable addon for the community. After all, that's how the SSK formed!
@ Bloodworth: That may require us to use Aerobrake MFD. We should add that to the required list pronto. After all, it's really useful for other missions.
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #142
Interceptor
Orbinaut

There's some nice greenhouse's in orbiterfrancophones addon HLV - lunar base - v1.2a,and also markp has a nice UCGO version greenhouse in his latest version of his Design Reference Mission 1 v1.4.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #143
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 @ Bloodworth: That may require us to use Aerobrake MFD. We should add that to the required list pronto. After all, it's really useful for other missions.
Yes it is, but even with it, due to mars's nigh on nonexistant atmosphere, I keep overshooting the landing by about 40-60km even after aerobrake says I should be on the ground I'm still learning how to bring it down 40-60km short of the target and continue to decelerate; hopefully without overshooting. Not there yet, but fortunately the current mission I'm running affords me LOTS of practice
Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #144
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Huh. I would have thought that it would account for it...

@Interceptor: Great hints! I'll take a look.
Thanked by:
Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #145
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 There's some nice greenhouse's in orbiterfrancophones addon HLV - lunar base - v1.2a,and also markp has a nice UCGO version greenhouse in his latest version of his Design Reference Mission 1 v1.4.
I like that idea, the only problem I see is that (if I am not mistaken) those modules require the DESCARTES spacecraft to deliver them. The Descartes does not operate well in Orbiter 2010, and does not operate at all in 2010 if you use the total immersion add-on .

As far as a greenhouse, I seem to recall there being a UCGO glass dome somewhere. In either event, all we would be able to do would be to build the greenhouse itself, Im not aware of any hydroponic plant racks out there anywhere.
Thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #146
PeterRoss
Warranty man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 I like that idea, the only problem I see is that (if I am not mistaken) those modules require the DESCARTES spacecraft to deliver them. The Descartes does not operate well in Orbiter 2010, and does not operate at all in 2010 if you use the total immersion add-on .
No way DESCARTES is required for HLV.

The only thing listed as a requirement for HLV is Ariane6. I believe its lunar transportation vessel is included into HLV pack itself.

And if you're about to deliver it to Mars - I bet it fits in Arrow's hangar. Another question is how you gonna land it.

Last edited by PeterRoss; 04-01-2013 at 03:36 AM.
PeterRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #147
Athena
Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

Quote:
 As far as a greenhouse, I seem to recall there being a UCGO glass dome somewhere. In either event, all we would be able to do would be to build the greenhouse itself, Im not aware of any hydroponic plant racks out there anywhere.
You mean
this glass module?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #148
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Quote:

HI,But no the greenhouses in the HLV addon does not use the Descartes,and yes it has a dome with plant racks that actually grow in time,and so does the other UCGO greenhouse I mentioned in the post,and I have the Descartes running just fine in orbiter2010P1,and also with Total immersion.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #149
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Yep, thats the one

Ok, I did say I may have been mistaken about the greenhouse module needing descartes. For some reason, the performance of Descartes is spotty for me in orbiter 2010 and with total imerssion it will not run at all; shows me empty space, not even a glass cockpit.
Thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #150
Interceptor
Orbinaut

I'll look into that for you,maybe I can figure out why it's not running right for you ,because I have no problems with it.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM

Tags
ofmm mission planning