Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #181
Rocketman379
Orbinaut

Awesome job Discovery, I was actually at the launch when it happened coolest thing I have ever seen.
Rocketman379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #182
ElPelado
Orbinaut

Small question:
during the deorbit burn, they weren't in retrograde attitude as we use in orbiter, there was a small angle between the velocity vector and the engines vector.... why is that? to make small corections to the path they will go until landing?
ElPelado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #183
Deke
The Original AstroNut!

Welcome home, Discovery!
Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #184
David413
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPelado View Post
 Small question:
during the deorbit burn, they weren't in retrograde attitude as we use in orbiter, there was a small angle between the velocity vector and the engines vector.... why is that? to make small corections to the path they will go until landing?
By burning out of plane they will burn excess prop. This is done to improve the vehicle's center of gravity (cg) for landing, then after the deorbit burn there is a dump of prop from the forward RCS to finalize the cg.
David413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #185
ElPelado
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David413 View Post
 By burning out of plane they will burn excess prop. This is done to improve the vehicle's center of gravity (cg) for landing, then after the deorbit burn there is a dump of prop from the forward RCS to finalize the cg.
But how does the burning out of plane affects the path they will travel? Does it change (slightly) the inclination or any other orbit parameter? Is that change taken into account?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #186
Pantz Ninja
Orbinaut

I'm no expert, but I believe the change is compensated by the "S" turns.
Pantz Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #187
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 But how does the burning out of plane affects the path they will travel? Does it change (slightly) the inclination or any other orbit parameter? Is that change taken into account?
You didn't properly read David413's post. The out of plane angle is to burn off excess OMS propellant as the total delta V of the burn is higher for an Out-Of-Plane(OOP) de-orbit burn than a pure retrograde de-orbit burn.

With other words, it takes more OMS propellant to de-orbit OOP than purefly retrograde. This is done to control where the Center of Gravity(CG) is for entry. The CG needs to be as far aft as possible for better vehicle control during entry and landing.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #188
FordPrefect
Donator

Furthermore, I suspect the out-of-plane burn had little to almost zero impact on the orbital plane inclination. I believe the deorbit burn also didn't take place at the descending node (or essentially any node)!
FordPrefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #189
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Burning out of plane will change both the inclination and the RAAN of the orbit ever so slightly, but this change is neglegible, and the initial ground track will be altered greatly by aerodynamic forces during the S-turns.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #190
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Burning out of plane will change both the inclination and the RAAN of the orbit ever so slightly, but this change is neglegible, and the initial ground track will be altered greatly by aerodynamic forces during the S-turns.
Exactly. The shuttle can change it's orbit plane by burning only by about 1, but each roll reversal happens after the Delta azimuth (difference between orbit plane and direction to runway) is 10.5.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #191
ElPelado
Orbinaut

Ok, I get it now... I thought it was something like that, but I wanted to ask the experts Thanks!

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News