Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #2266
indy91
Addon Developer

Working on something...
indy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #2267
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy91 View Post

Working on something...
Maneuver "uplink"?
(btw: did the shuttle have that?)
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #2268
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Maneuver "uplink"?
(btw: did the shuttle have that?)
Yes. Look at rendezvous checklist for example.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #2269
indy91
Addon Developer

Well, this is a general rendezvous planner, based on the Orbital Maneuver Processor (OMP, hence the name I chose for the MFD) that the Shuttle FDOs used (and definitely a descendant of tools used during Gemini/Apollo/Skylab/ASTP). The picture shows the the Maneuver Constraints Table to the left and the Maneuver Evaluation Table to the right. And I can already use the workflow in the FDO Console Handbook to fix TI lighting and reduce the TI DVZ component by adjusting the TIGs of previous maneuvers.

I bet the Shuttle computer supported PEG-7 DV uplinks, but that's just based on the fact that the AGC supported that. So why shouldn't the Shuttle?

I can implement the same thing I did for NASSP with my RTCC MFD, in this case select one of the maneuvers from the evaluation table, which are all impulsive burns, calculate a finite burn from it (earlier TIG, modified DV vector) and present it as a Maneuver PAD of sorts. I am recycling a lot from the RTCC MFD, so it's not that much work.

When I get this MFD into a more releasable state I'll put it on Github. Right now I'm testing a STS-126 rendezvous, just to see if the Shuttle actually ends up somewhere useful.

Also, have you noticed the NPC DV vector? 731 ft/s. That is without taking nonspherical gravity into account, with it taken into account it's even worse. Not quite sure why that is. STS-126 launched in the middle of their launch window, so the in-plane insertion that SSU currently supports shouldn't be so bad. Maybe the ISS state vector in the STS-126 scenario is off.
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #2270
DaveS
Addon Developer

I think this might be of interest here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffu0vzkanz...21002.pdf?dl=0
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #2271
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy91 View Post
 Also, have you noticed the NPC DV vector? 731 ft/s. That is without taking nonspherical gravity into account, with it taken into account it's even worse. Not quite sure why that is. STS-126 launched in the middle of their launch window, so the in-plane insertion that SSU currently supports shouldn't be so bad. Maybe the ISS state vector in the STS-126 scenario is off.
As you know the Earth is a sphere in Orbiter, so that puts the launch pad at the wrong place in relation to the ISS plane, so that is one thing wrong.
About the ISS state vector, I'm not sure if it is correct... going to celestrack and getting the TLE would be a good idea. Another issue is the time... I think Orbiter doesn't use the "normal" time (whatever that might be ), so that's another factor to account for, both in the scenario/launch time, as well as in the ISS TLE conversion.

Ground-up HST rendezvous is even worst because the launch pad is never co-planner with the HST orbit.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 I think this might be of interest here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffu0vzkanz...21002.pdf?dl=0
Very interesting document, even just glancing at it. It will be very helpful when reworking the OrbitDAP... maybe by 2022...
Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #2272
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Very interesting document, even just glancing at it. It will be very helpful when reworking the OrbitDAP... maybe by 2022...
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #2273
Donamy
Beta Tester

I think you've had enough.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #2274
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 I think you've had enough.
I have a lab report here proving that I did not touch alcohol for the past 10 weeks. (Now, don't ask why I needed such a report in first place)

The worse effect on my software development is not touching any caffeine for the past 8 months.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #2275
Donamy
Beta Tester

Try de-caff .
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #2276
Gingin
Orbinaut

Hey guys, I was wondering how hard it would be to feed some missing parameters in spec 34 ( item 7 to 12 ) to have our relative position at T1 ignition.
That would be really useful as spec 34 is already a great help for complex rendez vous

Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #2277
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingin View Post
 Hey guys, I was wondering how hard it would be to feed some missing parameters in spec 34 ( item 7 to 12 ) to have our relative position at T1 ignition.
That would be really useful as spec 34 is already a great help for complex rendez vous

{image}
I had looked for that in the past, pretty sure it's the routine REL_COMP from this document: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9790001906.pdf PDF pages 46-49. That just needs to be implemented.
Thanked by:
Old 02-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #2278
GLS
Addon Developer

Still working entry stuff, so I can only look at that when I'm done.
indy91, that document looks like a "gold mine", only after a quick look at it, thanks!
Thanked by:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 AM   #2279
Gingin
Orbinaut

Thanks for the return .
Another great document to add to the library
Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #2280
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

One question: Could this maybe be an option for adding mission control functions to SSU?

https://github.com/nasa/openmct

It is also already supported by KSP via a plugin, so it could well be suited for general Orbiter and SSU, I would say.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra