Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #16
GoForPDI
Good ol' Max Peck

Perhaps I should have worded it differently. I will go and edit the post.

I'm not generalising Americans as a whole (Although upon second reading it sounds as if I am), but there are a few Americans who have such an ill-educated and down right ignorant attitude towards the PRC. I was a little fired up after the previous comments.

I apologise.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

Europe is not slow in terms of manned Spaceflight. We have never really started pursuing it in the first place. We have never really needed to have our own capability to do so. And China did not either in the 60's.

So to say we (Europe) or they (China) are slow because they did not pursue manned Spaceflight when the USA and USSR began to do so is complete rubbish.

Last edited by GoForPDI; 07-08-2011 at 12:35 AM.
GoForPDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #17
Nazban
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 Might become a really interesting read as time goes on!

Cornerstone of Chinese space station approaches liftoff
Gosh i never even knew that they were doing that!!!!
I have to look at more countries than just US and Russia, who knows what could happen in the future, in maybe a decade or two they could pass the US in terms of spaceflight!
Nazban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #18
Chub777
Orbinaut

I'm impressed by the Chinese. They're already building a space station!
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
Galactic Penguin SST
Geek Penguin in GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub777 View Post
 I'm impressed by the Chinese. They're already building a space station!
To nitpick on this, the "station" that the Chinese will launch later this year (named Tiangong-1, or Heaven Palace-1) is the prototype of the station supply craft (i.e. the Chinese ATV/HTV), which doubles as a docking target for manned/unmanned spacecrafts and as a prototype space lab. When they successfully tested rendezvous and docking skills and how to run a small station for the duration of weeks, they will launch a monoblock station (in the flavor of the early Soviet stations) and set up expeditions to there. By then they will start to build a 60 (metric) tonne station and finish it by 2020 or so. (To put things into respective, Mir weighted 100 tonnes at the end)
Galactic Penguin SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
Chub777
Orbinaut

So Tiangong-1 is just like an Agena target vehicle? (it's also a coincidence that the acronym is ATV)
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #21
GoForPDI
Good ol' Max Peck

No, Tiangong 1 is a proper Salyut-style orbiting workshop.

It will be used as a baseline for the spacestation modules as well as being the baseline for a re-supply craft.
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

I guess we'll all be shocked when Beijing reveals that it is actually an orbiting, interplanetary space laser platform!

T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #23
fsci123
Future Dubstar and Rocketkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForPDI View Post
 Seriously mate. The only reason the USSR and the USA put humans in space was because of the Cold War.

Look at your closest ally, the UK. We have done nothing in terms of space.

The People's Republic are taking it at a pace that suits them, they don't care too much for ignorant Sinophobic persons like yourself.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

And also. the USSR's Salyut 1 was launched in 1971.

The PRC's Tiangong 1 is of similar size and will be launched just over 40 years since the launch of Salyut 1.

By 2020 they should have their first Mir-sized modular Space Station in orbit. And they also have a very good indigenous spacecraft at their disposal. It is far in advance of any of the USSR's or the USA's first capsules. Definitely.

And as I say. Europe have yet to put a man in space with their own equipment.

Does that make us super slow? No.

ESA has yet to launch any man into space but they launch sattelites at a consistent pace compared to china who dosnt launch sattelites at a decent fraction of the developed world...

China is in a desperate struggle they are attemptong compete with our glorious countries: USA, Russia, Japan, EU*, but they are so poor that they can never make it to the glory that we the devloped world have made for ourselves...

Quote:
 I'm not generalising Americans as a whole (Although upon second reading it sounds as if I am), but there are a few Americans who have such an ill-educated and down right ignorant attitude towards the PRC. I was a little fired up after the previous comments.
Well you have not only insulted me but called me illeducated which i take to the highest offense. I wil remind you that i am highly educated i am in AP classes i am highly involved in political affairs. I also sense that you are of orie origin and that maybe you have ancestry in china.

Last edited by fsci123; 07-08-2011 at 05:23 PM.
fsci123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #24
GoForPDI
Good ol' Max Peck

They ''stole''?

STOLE?

They didn't steal, they used the best known design for an orbital capsule that was available. If they had used any other design, it would not have been as beneficial as the three-block Soyuz design is.

The PRC is also firmly part of the developed world. It is not the greatest ally of the west, we all know that, which perfectly explains the reason they do not launch as many commercial satellites into orbit. They do however have a capability that only two other countries in the world have: Putting Humans into space.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #25
fsci123
Future Dubstar and Rocketkid

Quote:
 They ''stole''?

STOLE?

They didn't steal, they used the best known design for an orbital capsule that was available. If they had used any other design, it would not have been as beneficial as the three-block Soyuz design is.

The PRC is also firmly part of the developed world. It is not the greatest ally of the west, we all know that, which perfectly explains the reason they do not launch as many commercial satellites into orbit. They do however have a capability that only two other countries in the world have: Putting Humans into space.

Well they could have used another design... I remember hearing that they bought a few rockets from USSR and retrofitted them and began to call them their own...
fsci123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
Wishbone
Clueless developer

AFAIR Tiangong-1 is first of all a reconnaissance platform. I only hope they remember the lessons of Almaz and don't over stress the taikonauts.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #27
GoForPDI
Good ol' Max Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsci123 View Post
 Well you have not only insulted me but called me illeducated which i take to the highest offense. I wil remind you that i am highly educated i am in AP classes i am highly involved in political affairs. I also sense that you are of orie origin and that maybe you have ancestry in china.
Well your initial post seemed to come from such a point of view. Although once again, I do regret using such words directly to yourself. I must remind myself to attack the post, not the poster in future. Sorry about that.

And no, I do not have ancestry from China or that part of the world, I am from purely North-West European (More specifically Scottish) origin. I am just of the opinion that the more countries that put people into space, the better! And there is no real reason (in my mind at least) to be so childishly critical of the Chinese.
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsci123 View Post
Having the best education in the world doesn't make you an intellectual- opening your mind to new ideas and subjects which you would have dismissed previously makes you an intellectual. From all of the patriotic fervor about our 'glorious' nation you have posted, you have demonstrated that you are very closed minded indeed. I apologize if you take offense to that, but it is people with your attitude that are the biggest detriments to progress we face.
fireballs619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Quote:
Wrong. The PRC is not 'firmly in the developed world', it is definitely better than many other places, in Africa or Asia for example, but it is a 'developing country'.

I am sure that in general, people in the US or Europe are better off than people in the PRC.

That doesn't mean they aren't very economically and politically powerful, of course. It also isn't a reason for sinophobia.

I think we must keep in mind the failings of China and where it needs to improve; again, that isn't a reason for sinophobia. Any more than noting the failings of the US is Ameriphobia (is that the correct term?)

And "putting a human in space" is not that special. Remember that not only does ESA most definitely have the capability to launch humans into space, if they wanted to badly enough, but they have also looked into manned vehicles in the past and are looking into future manned vehicles.

It could even be argued that Japan and India have the capability to at least launch Mercury or Gemini-like missions, for whatever reason would motivate them to do so.

And yes, China's flight-rate is pretty low, their development is pretty low. So what? Space is not a game, that you "win" or "lose". We are all exploring space as a global community. And if that means unity in diversity, then that can only be a good thing.

Maybe China will only make it to the Moon in 2075... 50 years before everyone else.

And finally, please stop with the sort of... US-jingoism. I know a lot of people here are American, I'm not. I appreciate the US, I have an affinity for US culture, and I respect patriotism towards the US.

But that sort of "AMERICA RULES!!!1!!!1!! THE USA BEST!1!!1!!1!! OTHER COUNTRIES SUCK AND THEY ARE EVIL!!1!11!!!" kind of thing, that is just impolite, annoying, and it does anything but actually be good and constructive for the US.

Last edited by T.Neo; 07-08-2011 at 08:08 PM.
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #30
Ark
Orbinaut

We might as well just ignore it for all the secrecy China is going to cover their space program with. Googling Shenzhou gets you nothing but illustrations, CGI renders, and launcher pics. It's like the Russians all over again.
Ark is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News

Tags
china, china spaceflight, private spaceflight