Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

MFD Questions & Help Post your questions here for help with the Multi-Function Displays.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Default Attitude MFD VS Rendezvous MFD

HI. I was wondering what's the better, and easiest to use of the two. For rendezvouing with the ISS, and please explain the benefits of both.Thanks
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
tblaxland
Webmaster

In brief:

Attitude MFD: Good for proximity operations (<500m) where differential orbital effects are not so noticable, ie, once you have actually arrived at the ISS (although being able to set the target to a docking port would be advantageous, *adds to TODO list).

Rendezvous MFD: Good for planning your approach to the ISS from long range, ie, from >500m to many orbits away.
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblaxland View Post
 Rendezvous MFD: Good for planning your approach to the ISS from long range, ie, from >500m to many orbits away.
Hmm, Not sure about that. I've always found that if I'm more than a few km away from a target Rendezvous MFD just bleats about me being "too far away".
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Usually you have be a loooooong way away to get the "too far away" message. You will also get it if your or the target's orbits are not low-eccentricity.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Zatnikitelman
Addon Developer

You have to be within 700km of the target for Rendezvous MFD to work. It's great through, I've found it to be very very accurate. Using Rendezvous, I haven't even used Sync Orbit MFD except to get the distance to the target. In LEO, it's not a problem, if I go to a GTO to rendezvous in GEO or something, I typically need IMFD or Transfer first.
Zatnikitelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Great Guys thank you. I'll give both a try, seems like you could proabably use these two MFD's together.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

I noticed if you use time warp 10-100x with the auto feature you lose velocity and eventualy it dies out any way to correct this problem. Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
tblaxland
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 I noticed if you use time warp 10-100x with the auto feature you lose velocity and eventualy it dies out any way to correct this problem. Thanks
More details please. Attitude or Rendezvous MFD? What auto feature? IIRC, the auto burn in Rendezvous MFD forces time accelaration to 1x. What loses velocity, something in the MFD, or the vessel you are flying? If the vessel, are you orbiting Earth, and at what altitude? Some screenies might help too.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Hi tblaxland. I am not too savy at rocket science but I'll do my best to explain .I am using the XR-2 I followed diections ECC 001 alt 280K I get everything lined up with Align plane mfd and sync mfd I'm about 79.k moving towards ISS I push auto burn in rendezvous MFD, and on the docking mfd I get a yellow line in Cvel up to 2 so I hit time warp 10X and little by little the yellow line degrades untill finally it turns green and I am moving away from ISS I push auto burn again after changing time, and no change still moving away from ISS. this also happens when I am about 20.k from ISS and not using time warp. The velocity towards ISS just dies out.Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Hi tblaxland nevermind the post, I have it working great now. My inclanation was way off. awsome MFD, now if I could just figure out how to use Attitude MFD things would be good. Thanks for info
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
tblaxland
Webmaster

OK, glad you figured it out. If it helps with Attitude MFD, I rewrote the readme file on OrbiterWiki a while ago. I find the formatting (instead of plain text) makes it a bit easier to read, and therefore a bit easier to understand:
http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/AttitudeMFD
Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Thanks for the info tblaxland. I appreciate it and keep up the great work in these two excellent MFDs

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help