Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #121
4throck
Enthusiast !

Great to see that Orion is generating the interest it deserves, with many add-ons to depict the different planned versions. Good work.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:53 AM   #122
Astro SG Wise
Future Orion MPCV Pilot

Just a few more photo ops. Thanks to francisdrake for tips of re-entry with Orion MPCV on Re-entering with Orion thread. Why does Orion re-enter the atmosphere twice, instead of once?

I don't know if you remember me stating this, so I will restate it. I do not believe that you should put extra water around the CM when it splashes down. If you want to make it look like the bottom part of the CM is in water, you should cut off the round bottom in the mesh file. It was too marine/aqua colored as well. Thank you for the work!

Astro SG Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #123
IronRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro SG Wise View Post
 Just a few more photo ops. Thanks to francisdrake for tips of re-entry with Orion MPCV on Re-entering with Orion thread. Why does Orion re-enter the atmosphere twice, instead of once?
Skip reentry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Skip reentry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Skip reentry is a reentry technique involving one or more successive "skips" off the atmosphere to achieve greater entry range or to slow the spacecraft before final entry, which helps to dissipate the huge amount of heat that is usually generated on faster descents. The range modulation made possible by skip entry allows a spacecraft to reach a wider landing area, or to reach a designated landing point from a wider range of possible entry times, which is especially important in abort situations. Like aerocapture, skip reentry requires precise guidance. An overly shallow entry angle will result in the spacecraft retaining too much of its velocity, possibly escaping into space permanently if this is more than escape velocity. An overly steep entry, on the other hand, results in more intense heating and stress that could exceed the design limits of the spacecraft, potentially destroying it.
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #124
pclaurent
Daydreamer

This double reentry procedure seems to be the exact same as in the Apollo missions. You have a very informative video on that topic at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW5ozq4Tqew
pclaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #125
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclaurent View Post
 This double reentry procedure seems to be the exact same as in the Apollo missions. You have a very informative video on that topic at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW5ozq4Tqew
Apollo had been designed for a skip re-entry, but in the end, they decided to use just a gliding re-entry without leaving the atmosphere - the film is a bit outdated at that point already. But the software for skip re-entry still existed during the lunar missions, it was just never activated.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #126
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Better water

Thanks for all the interest! Sorry, updates may be a little slow in the next weeks due to other work to do.

Above is a picure of a better water texture (not so much like a swimming pool). I will probably include the water mesh & texture, but keep it separate. It will only be activated if a scenario keyword is given.

For the reentry: When returing from LEO I aim for a perigee altitude of ~40 km. This results in a gentle reentry with max 3.5 g. No skipping.

When returning from the moon I aim for 0 km altitude. I try to avoid skipping out of the atmosphere by rolling the ship sideways or heads up when it is on the upward leg. Interesting to hear about the Apollo procedure, did not know that.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #127
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Skip reentry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know for sure that the Soviet lunar plans included that manoeuver. It was done by the Zond spacecraft, though 1 went ballistic (without disintegrating !). In that case it was a matter of inclination - that was the only way to land the crew in Soviet-controlled territory, if launched from Baikonur and coming back from the Moon.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #128
Anroalh12
ETSII

Is the Orion MPCV Ummu compatible?
Anroalh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #129
Astro SG Wise
Future Orion MPCV Pilot

What will be on your new version? May I recommend color change of the heat sheild to a tiled tan-ish brown?

One of my favorite pics...
Old 01-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #130
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Right now the Orion is not UMMU compatible. It is intended to become UMMU compatible in the future. Actually the old Orion CEV was UMMU compatible, but the current UMMU version uses the modern VESSEL3-type, which gives me problems. It may require to rewrite parts of the code.

Regarding the heat shield:

Quote:
The Orion crew module for Exploration Flight Test 1 set for launch Dec. 4 is seen before attachment to its service module. The heat shield is covered in a reflective silver tape that protects it from the extreme cold temperatures of space. Credit: NASA
Unquote

For the time given I will keep the heat shield silver. It sounds reasonable to protect the heat shield during long exposure times in space with a reflective foil. A burnt heat shield during and after reentry may be a future feature.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 AM   #131
Astro SG Wise
Future Orion MPCV Pilot

Got it. Forgot about those pics, but under it is that tan tile color. Great thinking francis!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:44 AM   #132
Zach121k
Orbinaut

Will there be an EFT add on as well
Zach121k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 AM   #133
Astro SG Wise
Future Orion MPCV Pilot

I was hoping to make one, but my coding skills, especially in Orbiter, are not up to speed.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #134
orbitingpluto
Orbiteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach121k View Post
 Will there be an EFT add on as well
Quoting francisdrake from much earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
 I am aware that the upcoming EFT-1 flight would be nice in Orbiter. But no, it is as PhantomCruiser says: I go for the operational MPCV as a key element for further solar system exploration.
This addon isn't focused on EFT-1, though you can certainly use it for that. The previously provided black tile texture still works, and making a scenario with the Orion atop a Delta 4 Heavy is simple enough to do. If it's beyond your abilities though, I'm willing to make one for you, though you'll have to specify which Delta 4 addon you'd prefer. Just keep in mind that if you want francisdrake to spend time making this addon better, you ought to be a wee more tolerant of the fact that he wants to develop it towards areas different than just recreating EFT-1.
orbitingpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #135
Zach121k
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitingpluto View Post
 Quoting francisdrake from much earlier:

This addon isn't focused on EFT-1, though you can certainly use it for that. The previously provided black tile texture still works, and making a scenario with the Orion atop a Delta 4 Heavy is simple enough to do. If it's beyond your abilities though, I'm willing to make one for you, though you'll have to specify which Delta 4 addon you'd prefer. Just keep in mind that if you want francisdrake to spend time making this addon better, you ought to be a wee more tolerant of the fact that he wants to develop it towards areas different than just recreating EFT-1.
Oh, I know this, I'm just surprised that there hasn't been one created yet. I'm not too keen on using the scenario editor, it could be added in after the major stuff is done using the existing Delta IV addon?
Zach121k is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development